richmondred01

520h disappointing

Racinbob

Agree Craig, let alone hydros simply have a higher ground speed. 

formariz

I don't have a 520H but I have a couple of Hydros and an eight speed so I am familiar with the differences,and after this snow storm I feel an obligation to defend the Hydros There definitely must be something not working correctly with yours. Speed and traction not to mention ease of operation are the definitions of Hydro in my humble opinion. Here is a several years old video of my 1969 Electro 12 prior to me owning it. It still is the same and more today, and by no means is a 520H. Don't give up, I hope you figure out what the issue is with yours. There are many people here that can help you with that.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I think an 8 speed manual lift plow or blower would work fine on a straight long run of  12" of snow.

But I could not imagine working through the 5-6' drifts like I did yesterday without the foot control hydro and lift.

It was power into the drift till the tall chute was almost under, raise the blower, hook the drift with the top extension and back up knocking the drift down.  Lower the blower while backing out and repeat.  This was repeated hundreds of times all day and the  28 year old 520H and the 72 year old operator were not even breathing hard.

• Like 7

richmondred01

Per previous post. Nothing wrong with the hydro unit. I just was expecting too much from the 520. I went from the Cubs to the 520. Not really a fair comparison. But once again I expected more. 

image.jpg

• Like 2

pfrederi
53 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

Per previous post. Nothing wrong with the hydro unit. I just was expecting too much from the 520. I went from the Cubs to the 520. Not really a fair comparison. But once again I expected more. 

image.jpg

You went from 60 cubic inch 4 cylinder to about to 47 ci 2 cylinder.  Your cub (later ones anyway) were 15hp at the draw bar the "20hp" 520 was a gross hp at teh engine crank shaft.  Hydros them selves are not a efficient as gear type. Then there is the weight and tire size.Your cub is at least 3 times the weight of the 520 if not 4 times.  If snow plowing was the prime chore I would have stuck with the cub.  It is like comparing my Wheel Horse  D200 to my  Case VAC they are both 20 hp (but rated differently). The VAC would drag teh D200 all over and plows snow a lot better. Apples vs Oranges

• Like 3

richmondred01

Actually the red one is 11 hp and the yellow 13 hp. And yes I know I'm comparing apples to oranges. 

I know better next storm. Need a blower or get the 8 speed 314 up and running. 

image.jpg

• Like 1

SAM58

Something bad wrong with your tractor or someone has worked on it and didn't use the correct Filter, oil or you bought one with a tranny going bad.

Mine is a beast!! i can run it up against a tree & it keeps digging. Can't stall one that is in good working order.

We had 20" snow storm over the weekend and I pushed snow for about 12 hours the last two days for me and about 5 neighbors. Chains, No wheel weights.

Use:

10W-30 Premium Motor oil for the Hydro (5 Qts if drained properly)

WIX Filter 51410 (without the check valve in it) I think you have the wrong filter & its starving for fluid.

See the pictures, First passed almost made it to the bottom, but you can see the mound of snow in front.

moved it and had no problem after that. Second & third was end results, Last picture is a neighbors driveway 200 + feet long I plowed for a widow woman, about an hour or so...

IMG_3319.JPG

IMG_3323.JPG

IMG_3337.JPG

IMG_3340.JPG

10 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

Actually the red one is 11 hp and the yellow 13 hp. And yes I know I'm comparing apples to oranges. 

I know better next storm. Need a blower or get the 8 speed 314 up and running. 

image.jpg

Where can I find a Belt Guard with the vent holes like yours??

• Like 2

cheesegrader

I was going to mention the same thing.

Nice guard mod.

It also looks like you have the 5-hole index on the blade angle selector, and an unusual handle set-up.

Someone has put a little extra effort into that horse.

• Like 1

New wheel

This was my answer for a vented belt guard. Bought a floor vent cover, cut a rectangle in the guard and screwed it fast. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by New wheel
Clearer picture. Just got home and took it
  • Like 3

WNYPCRepair
45 minutes ago, cheesegrader said:

I was going to mention the same thing.

Nice guard mod.

It also looks like you have the 5-hole index on the blade angle selector, and an unusual handle set-up.

Someone has put a little extra effort into that horse.

Looks like how I had to set my handle up because I don't have the extension kit. Looks like the same clearance at front wheels too

tsmall07

I didn't read the whole thread, but there's definitely something wrong with your WH.  I did some pretty impressive things with it today (the stuff in my video isn't very impressive, I know). See my thread here:

Ken B

If everything is mechanically okay on the tractor as you suggest then I hate to say it but you must be doing something wrong.... I had plenty a Cub Cadet garden tractor and my 520 out pushed all of them... This is at least a foot and a half of snow, and in some spots well over 2 feet and it wasn't fluff. Your hydro sounds like it might be tired, sounds like it works okay for cutting grass but it doesn't sound like its up to snuff for the heavy stuff. I'd look into that...

Here is a video of mine in action.. click on image to view.

Edited by Ken B
  • Like 3

Tankman

All great Horses. I was thinking, "Louvers on the belt guard. Perhaps this spring."

Foot rests, I use coarse skateboard grip tape. Use paper cutting board, nice straight cuts.

The tape is inexpensive, holds up very well. Skateboard tape with the micro holes, lets air out, no bubbles.

http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Black_Magic_Ablack5_Griptape/descpage-BMA5GT.html

WH-Skateboard.jpg

857 horse
On 1/23/2016 at 3:17 PM, richmondred01 said:

Ha. That's good. Yea after 45 years of using standard transmissions I think I expected more from a hydro then it limits. This is on the way out of the shed. 

Mr Richmond......i dont have ant 300,400 or 500 Horses,,,,,All mine are the smaller steel hoods.....and my primary pusher is an 857....3 speed,,8 H.P.

1 cylinder,,,and it is a monster in snow.....i cant phathom  the power difference between the 2 machines,,,,you dont have a sick puppy,,,,you have a sleeping monster !!!!!!souinds like it just needs the right asprin......Good luck....help is right here in these threads....

Howard in Virginia.....

• Like 1

WHX??
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 6:00 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I think a blower may be the answer

I'm done pushing snow - blowing is the only way to go. Gets it up out of the way. One of the biggest problems that I always had was having to overplow to make room in case more big snow comes. Always ended up taking out bird feeders, fire pits and whatever else is in the way.

Just got done with 5 inches on the 520 with a 42" short chute and it was unstoppable. Nex ticket is going to be a 44" two stage tall chute. With the electrics in this thread http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/61372-snowblower-electric-chute-motor/

@jeff lary Chains without vbars worked great Jeff.... no weight at all but traction all day even with a glare ice underneath new snow.  Going with chains for the front also... steering was a little skatey at times.

jeff lary
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 11:25 AM, WHX6 said:

I'm done pushing snow - blowing is the only way to go. Gets it up out of the way. One of the biggest problems that I always had was having to overplow to make room in case more big snow comes. Always ended up taking out bird feeders, fire pits and whatever else is in the way.

Just got done with 5 inches on the 520 with a 42" short chute and it was unstoppable. Nex ticket is going to be a 44" two stage tall chute. With the electrics in this thread http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/61372-snowblower-electric-chute-motor/

@jeff lary Chains without vbars worked great Jeff.... no weight at all but traction all day even with a glare ice underneath new snow.  Going with chains for the front also... steering was a little skatey at times.

look out ice here he comes

can whlvr

nice lookin 520 and the plow looks brand new

tsmall07
On 1/25/2016 at 0:58 PM, richmondred01 said:

There is something wrong with it if the wheels stop turning when plowing.  It's just a fact.  

richmondred01
52 minutes ago, can whlvr said:

nice lookin 520 and the plow looks brand new

It was new. I got it from a guy who cut 3 acres a week with it. I had all the receipts since it was new. He was moving to a smaller place. Never used the blade. He Took it to the dealer every fall and had any repairs done and serviced. 

When I got it I pulled the engine put rings along with new valves just for preventative maintenance. Then I modified the belt guard. 

clip

It's hard to beat a good Farmall Cub. I think you did expect a bit much from the 520 after coming from a Cub. I was just forced to downsize as well and only had the 8spd GT1600 available to deal with all this snow. More weight and turf tires would have helped. 

Things I did enjoy about plowing with the Wheel Horse:

- able to select blade angle without getting off of the seat (need to add power angle to Cub plow)

- easier to get into tight spots in the driveway and plowing the sidewalk

- smaller size comes in handy when chaining up, adding wheel weights, storing in the garage, etc.

- two good working LED headlights, very bright

- more seat time

- smaller gauge trip springs prevented damage to plow

Things I missed about plowing with the Farmall

- heavy gauge plow not bothered by gravel drive

- lots of weight for better traction

- independent brakes for traction control

- didn't have to worry about plowing every few hours to keep up with the snow (garage located in fenced area away from driveway, quite a hike through the neighbors drive and my yard to get to the drive)

Right now it's a toss up, both have their pros and cons and I'd take either over a snow shovel!

• Like 2

lodestonefarm
26 minutes ago, clip said:

- two good working LED headlights, very bright

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I'm curious about the LED lights.  Have you found some that will fit into the existing headlight holders?  

Edited by lodestonefarm
moving my question out of the quotation
  • Like 1

HokieAg07

If you still want to put it in the ditch Mark, let me know, and Ill be by to grab it in 20 minutes!

Edited by HokieAg07
  • Like 2

tsmall07

I'll drive down from NOVA tomorrow with my trailer and pick it up.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
49 minutes ago, HokieAg07 said:

If you still want to put it in the ditch Mark, let me know, and Ill be by to grab it in 20 minutes!

There will be a line around the block!! :)

1 hour ago, lodestonefarm said:

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I'm curious about the LED lights.  Have you found some that will fit into the existing headlight holders?  

I was looking for my thread, but turns out clip used the exact set I did. 

richmondred01
54 minutes ago, HokieAg07 said:

I'll let you know. 

• Like 1