richmondred01

520h disappointing

can whlvr

I have all the different wheelhorse trannys,8 speeds,sundstrands,eatons,all will spin out before they give up,id also bet your belt is slipping

• Like 3

pfrederi

My go to plow tractor is a Charger 12hp with a sundstrand.  She will make dents in piles I made with my Case DC3 and back blade (about 40hp and 5000 lbs) the 48 yr old Sundstrand  will lug the engine before i loose traction.  I agree with sheared hub key  or input shaft key if the belt isn't slipping

• Like 1

cheesegrader

There is no relief valve on a 520.

When you lose power to the wheels, do you still have power to the ram to lift implements?

If the lift is still working strong, then you have a problem with the mechanical linkage to the rear wheels.

If both go bad together, you aren't making pressure--slipping belt, frozen lines, or the infamous weak pump when warm.

None of these problems are common at 800 hours

• Like 3

Jimf413

I have a WH C160 hydro and it runs great in the summer but not in the winter to do much of anything. I also have two C160's 8 speeds and they operate great any time of year either blowing snow or plowing it. My bet is always on the 8 speed tractors.

• Like 2

richmondred01

Belt and spring tension are new. Lift works fine. Axle key and key ways are fine. 

The issue is that the 520 is just not what I expected. It works but I was expecting better preformance. I believe a blower would work well but the blade is just not up to the ih cub performance. im sure the 520-8 would do much better pushing snow. 

Lost Pup

I have both hydro and gear drive tractors. 418A  single stage blower ,416H qwikway loaderwith  weight box and 417-8 electric lift and plow. Wheel Weights and chains on all three.  

I driven and pushed snow , ice and drifts to no end without the problems you encounter. 

The 417-8 and plow will push snow until it pours over the top of the plow. With a long run of driveway and 2 to 3 foot drifts i just leave the plow high and full throttle it driving over and packing down some snow while barreling forward. A bit bumpy and lumpy ride but the first few passes clear down to a clear lane to then chip away at the larger uplowed drifted snow. Dig the plow in to deep and ram the piles head on and the tractor will push and collect snow slowing down until traction is lost. Tires will just spin against the piled snow until clutched.

The 418A hydro and blower will do the same. Prefer this for the deep snow drifts but i have never had the hydro just stop. Say you clog the blower and just start pushing the snow , you will reach the point of no traction and forward motion stopping but the wheels will not stop rotating until you pull back on the hydro control lever. 

The 520 is the big brother to the 418A so I would expect similiar results as mine.

I also have swapped blower and plow among the hydro and gear and the both works just fine. My teenage daughters like the hydro unit a bit more as the clutch unit is unknown to them. They seem to have the technique down just fine.

Question : Is your throttle remaining (holding) its position as you come to a stop ? A simple adjustment if it is.

Question: Is your hydro lever (column or stick) holding its position as you come to a stop ? 

Edited by Lost Pup
  • Like 1

leeave96
4 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

Belt and spring tension are new. Lift works fine. Axle key and key ways are fine. 

The issue is that the 520 is just not what I expected. It works but I was expecting better preformance. I believe a blower would work well but the blade is just not up to the ih cub performance. im sure the 520-8 would do much better pushing snow. 

I can tell you from experience that a hydro 520H will push snow, dirt and gravel with any IH Cub Cadet - gear or hydro.  The design is sound. Unless something is out of adjustment, wore out or broken, you'll loose traction every time.  I cleared my street with my 520H this snowy weekend 3 times and will likely do it again this morning too.  There's so much snow that I'm having to ram the snow mounds to push them out of the way.

But snow is a walk in the park.  The test of a hydro is moldboard plowing and my 520H handles it with ease.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

squonk

I had a C-145 with the 1100 hydro. It would get weak and slow down when warmed up. The lift worked fine no matter what. I got a replacement pump fairly reasonable on E-bay. Before I installed it I got a complete 1100 at the show for cheap so I replaced the whole she-bang. Ran and pushed like a red-butted ape after that! :)

• Like 2

smoreau

If your belt isn't slipping and your hubs are good and tight and not slipping. Your pump is shot. I have owned many Eaton 1100 tractors and every one of them are different in the way they respond.  Some more sluggish and some very jerky in there performance. In winter months there weekess is a lot more noticeable and they take a lot longer to to work the lift. I always use Mobil 1 in all my hydro's and they perform much better when its cold out. My loader takes about 1 min for the lift to work and it performs very good, "V" blade tractor is the bet and it takes about 20 seconds for the lift to work and this hydro is very strong and this tractor will pull 500 lbs logsout of the woodsall day long with no issues. Snow blower,lawn tractor is the worst one bandit takes about 2-3 min for it to lift in winter and about 30 seconds in summer. This hydro is very jerky and not nearly as smoothly as the the others. Synthetito oil did help a lot, but it will fail someday. I have several spare pumps, and this one will be changed this spring before lawn season. Key thing to remember is that the previous owner may not have taken the care of the tractor as good as he said he has and that shows in the performance of the hydro. The pumps are not bad to change and can be done in just a few hours with common hand tools. Recommend a good flush of oil through the entire system before changing the pump. Depending on the year of the tractor the repacment pump may have the wrong gear on it. This is due to 2 different speed transmissions that were avalible.   With a good pump you will Be verly happy with the performance of a 520 and will compleatly forget about that Cub Cadet tractor you had before I can promise you that!!!

• Like 2

elliot ness

My 520H has 1250 + hrs. and plows snow like a champ. never found and drift that I could not move with ease ! What ever your problem is, it's not serious. my guess is it's the linkage on top of the hydro. If you had no problems with the mowing with a 60in. deck on the hills, then it's not the pump. The 520H's are a beast of a machine, I hope you get yours figured out.

• Like 1

skrusins

Is it possible he is trying to get a rise from the 520H owners? Just kidding.

• Like 2

elliot ness
20 hours ago, skrusins said:

Is it possible he is trying to get a rise from the 520H owners? Just kidding.

If that's the case, it's working !:twocents-02cents:

Edited by elliot ness
spelling
  • Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

I have pushed tree stumps with the front tires dangling in the air with my 520H...could the pump and hydro housing be all gummed/plugged up with grease/oil/grass clippings...I always thought I did a good job keeping mine clean till this past summer...took the fender pan off, nasty, pressure washed all the gunk out, new belt oil/filter change while I was at it...just like new just my experience.

• Like 3

New wheel

My first year blowing snow with 520h , 1988, single stage. That thing was a beast, 5 ft. Drift 40 ft. Long. Ran out of traction not tractor. Had wheel weights, added 65 lbs of barbell weights in the back made a big difference . 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Eric C

This is what I'm dealing with now. 20 plus inches. I usually plow 6 to 10 inches at a time. But the bulk of this dumped on us Friday night into Saturday. My only shortcoming with this storm was a lack of weight. I have all four tires filled plus 110 lbs of weight. In the last 2 pics, there is nowhere to push the snow except foward due to the way my driveway is cut into the hill. I had my son (he is about 180 lbs) stand on the sleeve hitch and my 520 pushed like a freight train! My son and wife could hardly believe the snow we were pushing. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 9

richmondred01

Trust me not trying to get a rise out of anyone. My friend who has a 520h took it plowing. He said he loved it and it works fine. For me I guess I just like gear drive. The hydro just doesn't move fast enough for me plowing. Just seems sluggish. He says it's great. 

rjg854

Was he using his or yours? :eusa-think:  Not sure by your post :blink:

New wheel

Eric. Where's the blower at?  I mounted the plow on the GT1142, never got it out of the garage. Should have taken the front wheel weights of it and put them in the 520 

richmondred01
1 minute ago, Ranger13148 said:

Was he using his or yours? :eusa-think:  Not sure by your post :blink:

Yes he was using mine. 

rjg854

Well then I'm happy to hear that it seems as though it works as it should. If you're not happy with it and want to give it away,  I have a shed it will fit in. :ychain:

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

I am closer down here , no long distance travel or shipping. :)

• Like 1

richmondred01

It cut grass great. I just won't use it next year in the snow unless I get a blower. Better then a shovel at least. 

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think a blower may be the answer , I have 13 inches in yard and not sure how the 310-8 is going to run with plow. But here we usually do not get this much snow over the course of a winter.

AMC RULES
30 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

Trust me not trying to get a rise out of anyone. My friend who has a 520h took it plowing. He said he loved it and it works fine. For me I guess I just like gear drive. The hydro just doesn't move fast enough for me plowing. Just seems sluggish. He says it's great. 

C'mon now, you lost me there...

same tractor works fine for your buddy, but not "fast" enough for you? 

No way plowing snow with a :wh: gear drive trans is gonna be faster than a :wh: with a hydraulic trans...

the time delay alone, coming to a complete stop just to change gears...let alone cutting in around any obstructions.  

• Like 8