richmondred01

520h disappointing

richmondred01

I got rid of my ih cub tractor that I used to push snow and have this 520h that everyone raves about. I tried to push snow with it today and it's like playing with a tonka toy. It's only about 4-6 inches deep and the hydro just doesn't have what it takes. Hydro unit was warmed up for 20 minutes, new hydro oil and filter. Engine has about 25 hours since rebuild. 

Am I doing something wrong or are all the hydro wimps? Never had an issue in the summer with the 60 inch deck. 

Going to try it out again taking 1/4 passes. If it doesn't cut it I'll leave it in the drainage ditch out front if anyone wants it. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

If I was close I would come and get it right now. How but a pic. Something is up. They are a beast.

Glenn

• Like 6

richmondred01

What do you want a picture of?   It's slows to crawl after a build up of snow being pushed. I have to keep backing up and throwing the hydro control all the to full. I've seen little 8 speed b80's with more (well you know). 

Sparky

Are the tires continuing to spin? Or is the whole thing coming to a stop? If your in the snow the tires should be spinning with a loss of traction and not a loss of power.

Does it have weights and chains... or nothing to aid traction?

What filter did you use for the hydro?

Mike.......

• Like 1

squonk

And how many hours on the machine itself? Could be linkage issues but I'm thinking a weak pump. Not a big deal to change and they are available on e-bay all the time. 

• Like 2

richmondred01

Tires are just stopping, has weights, new tires and chains. Used the toro transmission filter. 

pfrederi

If the engine isn'ts lowing/laboring when the wheels stop turning then something is wrong.  Belt could be slipping if it got really wet. Did the hydro have any problems on hills mowing in thesummer (slowing down up hill speeding up down???)

A Farmall cub stripped will weight about 3 times as much as a 520 and thus it will push more snow

• Like 1

richmondred01

The unit has about 800 hours. No issues with speed going up or down hills in the summer. Belt is not slipping. 

Pete Monteiro

Got rid of every Hydro I had. As soon as the weather gets cold they get too sluggish to push snow. Happened to me last winter with 4 hydros. If I were you I'd bring your tractor to the WH show and trade it for an 8 speed. Let someone else figure it out lol Everybody seems to love those hydros at the show. I wouldnt buy one ever again. They are pretty much junk in the cold. 

richmondred01

I guess I'm just use to a bigger and better quality tractor and also gear driven. 

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn
40 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

What do you want a picture of?   It's slows to crawl after a build up of snow being pushed. I have to keep backing up and throwing the hydro control all the to full. I've seen little 8 speed b80's with more (well you know). 

Just being curious on the tractor in general. A picture of it, nothing in particular. No worries. I have had 2 with the Eaton 1100. Not a problem at all. But very low hour machines, in great shape. Also my tractors are in a heated garage. It probably helps. I have 2 ingersoll tractors, hydriv, no problems there. Just wondering why the problems on your units. Sorry to hear about it.

Glenn

richmondred01

I agree. To sluggish. Should have kept the 418 8 speed or the cub for winter. Just thought the 520 was the best choice for downsizing. Live and learn. Need to find a 520-8. Got a 314-8 in the shed. Needs a fuel pump. Will get that going. .

• Like 1

leeave96
4 minutes ago, richmondred01 said:

I guess I'm just use to a bigger and better quality tractor and also gear driven. 

First of all - don't be discouraged.  The tranny in the 520H will pull.  We just got to figure out what's wrong.

If the wheels are stopping I'm wondering a couple of things.  First is - is the tranny full oil and what did you put in it?  10w-30 or something else?  Reason I say full is - it can be a challenge to fill the hydro due to air trying to come up through the filler tube as you try to pour.  An easy work around this is to crack open the hydro filter to vent the air as you fill.

If the oil level is good, then I'm thinking a belt is slipping or a key is sheared on one of the wheel hubs.

The Eaton 1100 used in the 520H is a most stout tranny.  They are not prone to failure, not at 800 hrs, much less than 3800 hrs.

I've got 3 IH cub cadets in my fleet and I can tell you first hand that your 520H is a terrific tractor.

I'm sure more/better advice is on the way.

Keep the faith!

Bill

• Like 6

AMC RULES

:confusion-shrug:     I just finished pushing a wall of snow with my C-175/ Eaton 1100.  

so, like you said...is the 520 sitting out in the ditch for the next guy?  :teasing-poke: 

• Like 5

richmondred01

Ha. That's good. Yea after 45 years of using standard transmissions I think I expected more from a hydro then it limits. This is on the way out of the shed. 

baerpath

I'd start with the simple things, start with the hubs if it sheared a keyway or not, then just keep checking. I'm no fan of the 520's but something is wrong

cheesegrader

That isn't right.

Mine will push snow up to almost a foot deep, even heavy wet snow.

When it is overwhelmed, the rears spin.

If the unit is working properly, you should have a traction failure.

I agree with checking the oil level in the hydro, and looking at the drive belt for evidence of slip.

I can't imagine it is cold enough in Richmond to have issues with the fluids being too stiff. 

If you back out of a snowpile, can you drive on level ground at normal speed?  Can you go uphill?

Do you have (roughly) equal speed forward and reverse?

• Like 2

edwroy

I would agree that there must be a problem. Have two 520Hs - one with a blower and one with a blade. Can push a 10-12 inches with no problem. Can push 6-8 inches pull speed.

• Like 2

ericj

i just blowed snow for 3 hrs with my 520 and 2 stage blower and my hydro worked great. and i have 2 520's that i've plowed with and never had any problems with them. i would check fluid levels and then linkage. got to be something wrong for it not to go, also check the hubs, good luck

eric j

• Like 5

muz123

Thats not right! My 520-H will punch 10-12 inches of wet snow and it has over 800 hours! There has to be something seriously wrong for that to happen! 

• Like 1

Racinbob

Please don't just give up on it. There's definitely something wrong and it's likely simple. I generally prefer manuals but pushing snow is where a hydro shines. :)

I don't know much about hydros. Is it possible that a push valve is partially open?

• Like 2

lynnmor

My bet, the belt is slipping.  Have someone watch the fan on the hydro as it stalls out.  Possible tension pulley or spring needs replaced.  On second thought, it is time for them to be replaced along with the belt.

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
40 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Please don't just give up on it. There's definitely something wrong and it's likely simple. I generally prefer manuals but pushing snow is where a hydro shines. :)

I don't know much about hydros. Is it possible that a push valve is partially open?

I have never been able to find a relief valve for pushing on either of mine, I'm pretty sure they don't have one. 

I put my blade on the 522xi for snow, but I pushed dirt and mulch over the summer with the 520, and it was a beast

Is it possible it had water in the lines/pump and it froze, blocking the flow? 

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse
2 hours ago, richmondred01 said:

Ha. That's good. Yea after 45 years of using standard transmissions I think I expected more from a hydro then it limits. This is on the way out of the shed. 

Let me know which ditch you are using for 520 storage , of course may not make it till spring. :deadhorse:

• Like 3

Rob R

I have a 1970 GT14 with a 45 year old Sunstrand and it pushes like crazy in addition to driving the front snow blower with the 14HP Kohler also 45 yrs old..... something definitely wrong with your 520H as others have mentioned chk the belt, fluid levels possible frozen line..... etc. .... just saying....... p.s. when I took this video it was with a blower with two bad bearings, I have since replaced them and it even works better now.

GT14_Snowblowing_Jan_24_2015.MP4

• Like 1