Plantman

What's considered a lot of hours on a tractor

Plantman

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and was wonder if I could get a little advice.  I have a chance to buy a 1994 520H with about 650hrs on it. My question is; what do you consider a lot of hours. This tractor looks and runs fine and seems to be well cared for. Just wondering how much life is left in the machine. It has a mower, plow and single stage snow blower. Thanks for your opinion!

WHX??

Hello Plant and :WRS:

650 is not alot of hrs but the key phrase here is "well taken care of" ....meaning has the seller got records of service?.  My 520H has about that many hrs on it and I expect (hopefully)  to get that many more without serious issues. Assuming the one your interested in has the 220 Onan in it which I am not a hugh fan of (Kohler man myself) but there are those here who know much more about them than me and absoluetly love them. They will be along shortly I am sure.

• Like 3

rmaynard

My 416-H had close to 1600 hours on it when I got it and it runs great. The biggest problem with the P-220 engine in the 520-H is that the ventilation of the rear cylinder is poor. Grass and debris clog the cooling fins and overheat the valve seats. If the 520-H you are looking at has been maintained properly with regular oil changes and cleanings of the cooling fins, I don't think there will be any problems

• Like 6

can whlvr

properly cared for air cooled engines will exceed 2000 hours,but every engine is treated differently,i have a 312-h that had to be rebuilt at 650 hours,but I truly dought the owner ever changed the oil

• Like 3

roadapples

Good luck whatever you decide, and welcome to Red Square..

• Like 1

ferguson65

My dads 95 520H has 1200 plus hours on it with nothing more than oil changes.  It has been used and abused but still runs great.  Not as refined as my 522XI, but still a great tractor.  I just blew out the cooling fins on my tractor, maybe I should go check his too.  I wouldn't be afraid of a 650 hour 520H that's been maintained.

• Like 1

608KEB

I have a 93 520H with 1015 hours on it. I cleaned the carbon off the Pistons and heads this summer. I checked  the compression.  The front cylinder  was 110psi and the rear was 125 psi. Also adjusted the valves. Doesn't use oil. If properly maintained, it should last a long time.

MalMac

All the prior post have really good info. I will just add this. Even though the machine has the appearance of being well kept that Onan has a bad habit of attracting grass debris on the flywheel screen. Case in point a gentlemen down the road cared for his 520 with passion. He always cleaned it up after every use. Kept the tins clean. What he did not do was keep the grass screen clean when it was in use. Well we all know what kind of out come that can bring. Being Onan, Kohler or whatever if you do not keep that screen clean you gonna have problems. With the Onan and it's famous problems of the Valve Seats coming loose keeping that screen clean is even more of a issue. Yep you guest it. He loss the valve seat. The hours on the machine your looking at is really not that much, just the Onan is one to always check out good first. Listen to it good and if you can even do a compression test on it would be great. Like said before I am not a fan of the motor but if cared for and being aware of the problems it has it can be a good strong motor.

• Like 3

lynnmor

Two other things that can shorten the life of an Onan.  The grommet around the oil filter is often lost and much cooling air is lost to the rear cylinder.  The oil filter mount can weep oil causing the rear cylinder fins to get clogged.  Usually the valve seat that comes loose is in the.... you guessed it, the rear cylinder.

Plantman

Everyone,

Thank you very much for all your advice and guidance.  This looks like a great forum!!  I'm going to look at it tomorrow and I will definitely check out the engine very well, including a compression check.  If the compression in both cylinders is withing 10% of each other and about 100psi, is it safe to say the valve seats are in good shape?  Also if they do come loose can it be repaired?

Also are there any concerns with the hydro transmission I should be aware of?  When I look at it I will look for signs of slipping and noises and strength if I can try to push on something or go up a hill.

Thanks again for all your help.

lynnmor

If the compression is good, the seats are probably good, but not an absolute guarantee.  The seat can still seal against its bottom.  If the seats are loose with little wear, .010" oversize seats can be fitted.  If worn too much for the oversize seats, there are after-market seats available.  If all else fails, a good welder can build it up and then the block can be re-machined.  Each option gets increasingly more expensive.

If the hydro lever is moved back and forth between forward and reverse and the tractor moves crisply each way, the hydro should be good.  I don't think there is a great failure rate with these units.  In cold weather, they need some warm up time to work well, so keep that in mind when judging performance.

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, Plantman said:

Everyone,

Thank you very much for all your advice and guidance.  This looks like a great forum!!  I'm going to look at it tomorrow and I will definitely check out the engine very well, including a compression check.  If the compression in both cylinders is withing 10% of each other and about 100psi, is it safe to say the valve seats are in good shape?  Also if they do come loose can it be repaired?

Also are there any concerns with the hydro transmission I should be aware of?  When I look at it I will look for signs of slipping and noises and strength if I can try to push on something or go up a hill.

Thanks again for all your help.

I saw a test for the hydro that I am pretty sure was in a WH service manual. Chain it to a tree or other immovable object on pavement and see if it spins the tires.

• Like 1

WHX??

Thats odd Brian ...I read somewhere here the test is to chain up to something green & yellow and see if you can drag it around....:confusion-shrug:

• Like 4

RedRanger
10 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

Thats odd Brian ...I read somewhere here the test is to chain up to something green & yellow and see if you can drag it around....:confusion-shrug:

I'll take that bet.  Hydro to Hydro.

048.thumb.jpg.8f80cee0431a1bfa9f3d1c5973067.thumb.jpg.d1ee0680ce8c47107cfbfe6dad104.thumb.jpg.95017476c6bd42f6e0591f8f51

• Like 1

RedRanger
5 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

What are you saying Craig?  :lol:

I've got a membership there too.  Everyday is like Christmas in my garage.  Red and Green cohesively working together.

WHX??

No fair...thats a diesel!!!:hide:

Hey those  green guys got their own cook book out ... whats up with that....oh no busted for crusing a green site.....It's AMC's fault for turning me to the green side....

• Like 2

RedRanger
2 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

No fair...thats a diesel!!!:hide:

Hey those  green guys got their own cook book out ... whats up with that....oh no busted for crusing a green site.....It's AMC's fault for turning me to the green side....

:rs:

Yes, but the Calendars are better here.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse
30 minutes ago, RedRanger said:

I'll take that bet.  Hydro to Hydro.

048.thumb.jpg.8f80cee0431a1bfa9f3d1c5973067.thumb.jpg.d1ee0680ce8c47107cfbfe6dad104.thumb.jpg.95017476c6bd42f6e0591f8f51

I think you need a 4 wheel alignment , your tires are out of whack. 

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Emphasis is on the green  :happy-jumpeveryone:  wacked parts.    :greetings-wavegreen:

• Like 2

RedRanger
21 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I think you need a 4 wheel alignment , your tires are out of whack. 

Makes for fun doughnuts!  :auto-swerve:

• Like 1

Plantman

Thanks again everyone for the help the entertainment!!  I'll let you know what happens!

• Like 3

RedRanger
40 minutes ago, Plantman said:

Thanks again everyone for the help the entertainment!!  I'll let you know what happens!

Sorry your thread got taken over.  Welcome to Red Square!

cleat

I have not had any problems with the Onan's, even ones I have got that sat for years to the point the fuel shutoff valve at the fuel tank desinegrated.

A quick carb cleaning  (after replacing the fuel lines  and valve, cleaning the fuel tank etc. and away they go.

I have had more issues with the Kohler 16HP in my old Ford.

I do have to admit that the Kohler ran quieter.

If the 520 runs good without any knocks then you should be good to go. Don't worry about the hours as that can be subject to how it was treated in it's previous life.

Cleat 

Plantman

Thanks for all the advise.  Compression was 100psi in both cylinders and the tires spun on pavement really easy pushing against a retaining wall so now I'm the new owner!!  The whole package, 48" deck, 42" single stage blower, and the plow blade for $1500. Also got a spare mule drive all the manuals and oil filter, fuel filter and air filter.  How'd I do?  I thought it was a good deal. I'll post some pictures soon. 

• Like 1