formariz

25 AMP STATOR?

formariz

Can any one verify if this is a 25 amp stator. It is in a NOS K301 and specs lead to it being a 15  amp one. However since it has winding's on all legs according to manual it should be a 25amp unit.

IMG_0030.JPG

Don1977

It's a 15 amp I have one just like it off a 1977 Wheel Horse. I was going to put up a picture but Photobucket  is temporary down.

Here's mine.

SAM_0260.jpg

Edited by Don1977

formariz

Thank you. Just wanted to make sure before I put a 15 AMP rectifier to it and burn that. Some of the stuff you read in the manuals is much confusing or contradictory between them.

I have to say that yours is prettier.:lol:

Edited by formariz

Igor motoria
I changed ( in my 301S) with 15 amp to 25amp . 15amp is not the total number of the windings. 25 amp alternator connected to the rectifier - regulator and it burned at high speeds .

miC3dDg75-TxjzMWnC1HDSw.jpg

formariz

Wow, a member from Russia. Good to hear. Where else are we going to find Wheel Horses at?

Your stator burnt with a 25AMP rectifier?

I am still not positive of what I have. Would there be a difference in readings across terminals between the two amperage's and if so what would those readings be?

Igor motoria

I'm sure that you have a 25 amp . My control was by Moto scooter 10 amp ... and it worked well at low and medium rpm. Buy here is a single diode bridge 50amp on 12volt.(http://www.ebay.com/bhp/diode-bridge)... and aluminium radiator for this bride.

formariz
  • The 15 amp stator have 18 posts, but only 16 are used (wrapped with wire) and has 2 wire leads (or connectors).
  • The 25 amp stator have 18 posts, all of them are used and have 2 wire leads.
  • The 30 amp stator have 12 posts, which are wrapped heavily with wire and have 4 wire leads.

So after much research I come to the conclusion that indeed I have a 25 AMP stator. The Puzzling thing to me is that you find all kinds of stators selling new out there advertised as 15 AMP and if one follows Kohler and other expert sites out there they are 25AMP. Not that it matters to me what amperage it is, I just want to have the right rectifier for it and not damage the rectifier or stator and perform as it should.. If experts are correct then many 25AMP stators out there are running a 15AMP rectifier. Most of them from what I see.  That raises more questions for me such as; Can then a 15 AMP rectifier be used with a 25AMP stator without damage? If so is it then charging battery at a reduced rate?

gwest_ca

You can safely use a 25 amp stator and 15 amp regulator until the load exceeds 15 amps. Trouble is you have no way of knowing when the 15 amp will be exceeded.

Why not add a 15 amp fuse to the regulator DC+ output and see how long it lasts. Worst that can happen is you blow a fuse.

Garry

formariz
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

You can safely use a 25 amp stator and 15 amp regulator until the load exceeds 15 amps. Trouble is you have no way of knowing when the 15 amp will be exceeded.

Why not add a 15 amp fuse to the regulator DC+ output and see how long it lasts. Worst that can happen is you blow a fuse.

Garry

Never tough about that. Seems like a good idea. However since I need to get one any way, I will just get the correct one. Makes you think however about all the others here with similar setup.