scotty

Snow plow lining up issue

scotty

Does anyone know why this snowplow would do this? Its not even close to being lined up? Any ideas how to fix this?

12575973_998822723507538_153607522_n.jpg

oldlineman

I believe there is a chain that goes between the lift arm and the plow bracket that is how mine is done. You can also put a solid link between so that you can put down pressure on the plow.

• Like 1

scotty

Got any pictures by any chance?

oldlineman

No and it is 5 out side right now but it is just 4 or 5 links of chain attached with a small shackel top and bottom in holes. you will have to test how many links of chain you need to lift blade high enough.

I will go out and get a picture but I have never put one on the site might be a while.

AMC RULES

cb9bc073.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4

ericj

there is about a 4" solid bar that goes from # 27 to the plow it's probably only 1/4 steel maybe thinner and just simply 2 holes, can't get any pictures right now and maybe a couple days before i can, too much going on here at home right now

eric j 

oldlineman

Thanks graig I took a pic. but not sure how to post, mine however has a link att. to the long hole on the plow for some movment up an down thanks for the help.

IMG_0704.JPG

The link is about 5 in. long, holes are spaced 3 1/2 in. bottom hole is slotted , 1/4 in. dia. and made out of 1/4 thick steel. Hope this helps you.

Edited by oldlineman
  • Like 2

ericj
10 minutes ago, oldlineman said:

Thanks graig I took a pic. but not sure how to post, mine however has a link att. to the long hole on the plow for some movment up an down thanks for the help.

IMG_0704.JPG

The link is about 5 in. long holes are spaced 3 1/2 in. , 1/4 in. dia. and made out of 1/4 thick steel. Hope this helps you.

that's what i was trying to describe, you can put it in the slotted hole on the plow to allow for some play or you can mount it in the single hole thanks oldlineman for posting the picture

eric j 

oldlineman

Your welcome eric j a little cold out not enough snow right now to plow but glad I could help.

ericj

calling for a possible snow fall this fri and sat so we'll see, but its cold here low teens and wind chills near zero

eric j

ThreeHorses

Wouldn't you need a solid link from the trunnion to the blade to apply down pressure?

The solid link from blade to #27-lift arm would still have play in chain going up to trunnion.

scotty

I made a solid link for the lift like you guys said works great. Thanks for the pictures.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
2 hours ago, ThreeHorses said:

Wouldn't you need a solid link from the trunnion to the blade to apply down pressure?

The solid link from blade to #27-lift arm would still have play in chain going up to trunnion.

If you want down pressure - yes. But standard chain also works - just can't apply down pressure. I have a chain on my c 105 and it works great.

can whlvr

to achieve down pressure a bar about 12 inchs is used and I take the mower lift off to get it out of the way

C-101plowerpower

I have mine hooked up like this, without the thingy in betweenIMG_20160119_151741367.thumb.jpg.8a6dac6

Tankman

Made a few short solid links. Used 5-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/4" thick steel flat bar. Two 3/8" dia clearance holes 4" OC (on center).

Use 3/8" clevis pins and hair pin cotters.

With todays weather report, pulled out a set of chains for my 520-8. Grandsons pray for snow. Should they be spanked? :wacko:

Pic is one dope on our 416-8 enjoying white, cold, wet, nasty junque! How dare him!

PS. When done we back the Horses into the barn up on 2 x 6's, tires and blade. White junque melts to the concrete deck. WD (water displacement) 40 or oil is applied to top edge of the scraper, stops rust. Hardware on our blades is stainless steel installed with Never-Seez.

Christian_Plow-www.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 1

arrkerr
18 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

If you want down pressure - yes. But standard chain also works - just can't apply down pressure. I have a chain on my c 105 and it works great.

You wouldn't want down pressure on your snow blade.  The blade should float, or you'll cause some major stress on all of the linkage and likely cause some major damage, especially on a hydro.  This is why the snow blade and mower deck lift is held by a chain, so that it can float.  So whether you use a chain to connect from that lift arm to the blade frame or the solid piece they typically come with makes no difference at all.  Attaching directly to the trunnion is, as the diagram shows, for a snow blower or generator.  The snow blower lift arm has the 'floating' built in to the lift mechanism instead - this is the point of the 'flag' part.  I found this out the hard way when my first blower came with a home-made arm in which someone had lost the flag, and instead just welded a triangle directly to the end of the lift bar - *bad* idea.

C-101plowerpower
1 minute ago, arrkerr said:

You wouldn't want down pressure on your snow blade.  The blade should float, or you'll cause some major stress on all of the linkage and likely cause some major damage, especially on a hydro.  This is why the snow blade and mower deck lift is held by a chain, so that it can float.  So whether you use a chain to connect from that lift arm to the blade frame or the solid piece they typically come with makes no difference at all.  Attaching directly to the trunnion is, as the diagram shows, for a snow blower or generator.  The snow blower lift arm has the 'floating' built in to the lift mechanism instead - this is the point of the 'flag' part.  I found this out the hard way when my first blower came with a home-made arm in which someone had lost the flag, and instead just welded a triangle directly to the end of the lift bar - *bad* idea.

a lot of people like the down pressure because of ice and stuff, if you have your blade floating ice is kinda hard to ged rid off

• Like 2

arrkerr
8 minutes ago, C-101plowerpower said:

a lot of people like the down pressure because of ice and stuff, if you have your blade floating ice is kinda hard to ged rid off

I can see that, but its a much safer idea to throw some more wight on the blade (cement block, gym weights, old brake rotors, sand bag, etc), and adjust the blade angle so it digs in more, than it is to make that link solid.  Imagine the stress causes by hitting a rock, chunk of ice, or anything.  That linkage won't be able to sustain much of that, and you'll end up causing some serious ($$) damage to more important bits of the tractor lift assembly.  If someone insists on doing that, after thinking it through, I'd strongly suggest at least using something for the solid link that is weaker and going to give/break before the more important bits do.  Personally, I just can't see it being worth it.

Edited by arrkerr

can whlvr

ive used one for years on my c160,ya you could break the bell crank,but I will take this chance,i do a lot of grading in summer and the down pressure is handy,but a blade that floats is also handy,so theres another reason to have a few plow tractors ready

chorusguy

Interesting.I out my blade on to move some compost for the garden and used a solid link.  There were times when the blade rode up a little.  Could be that the ground at the rear of the tractor dropped off a little at that point but I did see the blade rise a little.  Secondly,  when the blade meets an immovable object, isn't it designed to trip down to absorb shock.  I also think that in unknown territory you should be plowing slow enough to not really give the tractor a damaging shock.  It seems I also get slightly better traction going slow.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
8 hours ago, arrkerr said:

My WH blade is actually designed for either solid or chain link. Elsewhere on this forum a few weeks ago I started a thread originally to address a blade fit issue but it morphed into this very discussion. Manual says either is fine. A lot of folks who weighed in on that thread noted that they have solid link solely to provide down pressure. For me the chain works just fine...

And btw - good to see another Michigander!

Edited by SylvanLakeWH

Tankman

The blade trips if hitting a solid object. But, one should know where they are plowing.

Have for 40 years used the short solid link.

Never had any problems, my sons plowed and now grandsons are plowing. Those nuts love snow.  :wacko:

• Like 2