stevasaurus

SO, YOU WANT TO SAVE THAT WH 3 PIECE TRANNY

AMC RULES

Thought I was the only one who noticed. 

• Like 1

squonk
52 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Ya Mike, they were out when I went there, but they were getting them restocked that night...went in the next day.  There was no time for the riff-raff to mess with it.  It does work nice for transmission parts.  The side plates can be done, but I don't think I would do the casting in this.  :)  It is all plastic, but I like it for what I bought it for.

The trick is to shake the box when you go to buy it. If it rattles, put it back and try amother :wacko:

• Like 2

squonk
On January 25, 2016 at 9:31 AM, WHX6 said:

We was all going to chip in and get you  this set Steva but looks like good old Grampa is still with us!:)

s-l225.jpg

Where can this kit be purchased?

• Like 1

WHX??

40 bucks all day with free shipping Squonk....:techie-ebay:...Probably not the  quality of one that would  fall off the Snap-Off truck but OK for us occasional users.

Edited by WHX6
  • Like 2

squonk

Just ordered one. :)

• Like 1

ACman

Love this thread , as I have a whole tranny , and another minus the cast center . My ? is ,have you or anyone used evaporust or WD rust remover . There water based and biodegradable . You soak your parts and it leaves clean metal and you can reuse it . From some of the tv shows I've seen it on it looks like this would be a perfect application for it .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

ACman:   I used EvapoRust from NAPA in a one gallon bottle on some other RJ and 701 parts and it worked great.

I mentioned this to Steve and his gunk tank uses a biodegradeable  fluid that is concentrated and you just add water.    It might be good for soaking gears, etc.

But I am deferring to the master on this one !  

• Like 3

ACman

Nice to know , I'll be watching this thread like a ninja :ph34r: . Let the master do his thing .

Edited by ACman
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair

There is probably zero chance I will ever rebuild a tranny, but this is fascinating. Great thread, 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I have not tried EvapoRust or WD-40 for an application like this.  I had the Washing Soda, the 5 gallon bucket, and the battery charger...so I went that route.  I must say, I like the idea of a gallon of EvapoRust and if you can reuse it, this is something I would like to try.  :)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Electrolysis...got a few warmer days coming up, so I decided to get that rusty case going in the tank.  Here is a link that I like that really explains the process...

http://www.rickswoodshopcreations.com/miscellaneous/rust_removal.htm

Got my bucket and my washing soda.  I put in a good 1/2 cup and mixed in the water.

2008_0310LANES10001.thumb.JPG.cf83c74729

The Anodes are "C" clamped to the sides of the bucket...about 1/2" off the bottom.  The transmission casing is also "C" clamped and is just hanging on a bar to keep it from moving around.

2008_0310LANES10002.thumb.JPG.815982d342

Then it is just a matter of hooking up the wires from the battery charger.  The black clip goes on the part to clean and the red clip goes on the sacrificial anode.  I then took some jumper cables and attached between the 2 sacrificial anodes.  The charger is set on 10 amps.  :)  Watching an E-tank can be better then watching paint dry. 

2008_0310LANES10003.JPG

2008_0310LANES10004.JPG

• Like 7

squonk

What did you use for anodes  Big Fella? :)

stevasaurus

They are 2 scrape blades from snow blades.  I could have cut them in half,or maybe 1/3rds, but I wanted to get this going.  It is still January.  :)

• Like 1

squonk

I thought they had to be 2 dissimilar metals.:confusion-seeingstars:

stevasaurus

Not at all.  You want ferrous metals in all parts of this operation.  It is all about electrons moving from negative to positive.  Different metals can make the solution toxic.  :)

• Like 3

squonk

I must of been thinking of something else. Maybe brushing my teeth or something..... :)

• Like 3

Gernzz8

I just read the link you have up explaining the process .......Interesting!

Will you be posting a before & after picture?

Awesome thread. Thanks Stevasaurus!

• Like 3

WHX??

Looks to me like your trying to bring Frankenhorse to life Steva....have you given any thought to rotating the case a little every couple of hrs in relation to the anodes?

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Absolutely, before, during and after pictures will be shared.  :) And Gernzz8, feel free to ask any questions.

WHX^ (Jim),  it's Steve...OK, my wife spelled Stevasaurus.  If you look at the pictures, I have an anode on each side of the case...both are starring at the rust.  :)

I do have a problem though, I may have ruined my 10 amp charger...not on this...I was trying to jump start my 876 last week, and I must have over cranked it.  I saw a spark from inside the charger and unplugged it immediately.  It might be a fuse...anyway, I bought a new one at Harbor Freight, but the power does not go to the clips unless the unit recognizes a battery of a certain voltage when hooked up.  Dang I hate OHSA!!  The new charger does not work in the electrolysis process...........unless I can fool it into thinking I have a battery in place.  I am thinking that I may have to put the charger on a battery and then run wire to the electrodes on the E-tank.  That is tomorrow.  :)

• Like 1

JPWH

Stevasaurus, most likely the battery cable melted. I have done the same thing to my charger 2 times. The last time I put trolling motor cables which are a couple sizes larger and no more problems.

Hank

• Like 1

C-101plowerpower
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Absolutely, before, during and after pictures will be shared.  :) And Gernzz8, feel free to ask any questions.

WHX^ (Jim),  it's Steve...OK, my wife spelled Stevasaurus.  If you look at the pictures, I have an anode on each side of the case...both are starring at the rust.  :)

I do have a problem though, I may have ruined my 10 amp charger...not on this...I was trying to jump start my 876 last week, and I must have over cranked it.  I saw a spark from inside the charger and unplugged it immediately.  It might be a fuse...anyway, I bought a new one at Harbor Freight, but the power does not go to the clips unless the unit recognizes a battery of a certain voltage when hooked up.  Dang I hate OHSA!!  The new charger does not work in the electrolysis process...........unless I can fool it into thinking I have a battery in place.  I am thinking that I may have to put the charger on a battery and then run wire to the electrodes on the E-tank.  That is tomorrow.  :)

connect a couple of jumpers to a good battery until the charger starts, then take the jumpers back of and you're sorted. unless i'm wrong and you'll have to leave that battery in the loop

• Like 1

Racinbob
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Yupper dupper Steve. That's what I have to do. You might get away with what Koen mentioned but I'm doubting it. I just parallel in a trolling motor battery and I'm good to go. I use it because it's available but you don't need any real capacity. The charger just wants to see a battery. You won't have much current draw with what you can fit in a 5 gallon bucket. My battery will take a full charge and cycle the charger on and off as I'm using it on the tank. :)

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I'm sure you have some batteries around that could use a charge anyway. I know I do. :)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Well I opened up my charger, and I did not really see anything wrong...nothing burnt, nothing scorched.  I checked my Multi-meter and found I had blown a fuse...I replaced the fuse and found that the charger was putting out the usual 12 volts and 10 amps.  So, I hooked her back up and I started to see bubbles (that is a great sign)...you should start to see bubbles by the anode almost right away.  I did not see them yesterday.  I am thinking that there was enough oil on the casing yet to make Electrolysis hard to do...after soaking all night enough of the oil came off the case to make current work.  I am not sure about any of this, but it is now working. :handgestures-thumbupright:   This picture is after about 5 hours of the bubbles starting.  This is what you want to see.  :)  This nice orange oxidation floating on the surface.  This is rust coming from the casing.  :)

2008_0311LANES20001.thumb.JPG.6d84762df8

• Like 5

squonk

Almost like simmering sauce at Grandma's all day Sunday! Gotta keep watch on it so it comes out just right!       7051049901avatar.gif.d6f3da323c61d56773c :)

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3