Gernzz8

Installing Transmission Boot on shifter

Gernzz8

I am replacing the shifter boot on a B100 8 Speed and I have this "Stud with a Lock Nut?" facing the front coming off the shifter? The nut is loose, it appears to be a lock nut? 

Is there a procedure to tighten this lock nut?

Does the new boot, just get "pulled" around this nut/stud?

Thanks in advance,

Danny

IMG_0819.jpg

AMC RULES

Use an allen head wrench in the end of the threaded stud to adjust the play in the shifter...

just tighten it down enough to allow ease of shifting into all gears, then tighten down the lock nut.

Pull and fit the boot down over the dog point set screw assembly, and you're good to go.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 4

Gernzz8

Thank You, Brother.....

All the Best

• Like 1

wallfish

Oooo, that's a long one. Most aren't that long so it's easier for the boot to just slip over. If the boot fits, just use it. If you want, you can find a shorter "dog point set screw" which is 1/4-20 at most hardware stores.

Procedure is to tighten the screw snug but the shifter should move freely. Then tighten the lock nut to hold it in place. That screw holds the shifter in place.

Edited by wallfish
  • Like 1

Gernzz8

I Seriously, Love these machines.

"One for the Chalkboard" How to take the "Slop" out of your shifter.

As I learn about the Wheel Horse, I become aware, of yet again, another adjustment/repair to keep her going!

The Bummer is.......Everything manufactured today is meant to be replaced/thrown out. 

• Like 2

Gernzz8

I thought it seemed a wee bit too long. I really didn't need to adjust the set screw, the shifts seem to be "just right" for all the gears. So, I tightened it where it was. The boot does fit over the set screw. I think I still may look for a shorter "dog point set screw". I was under the impression from the "Original Owner" that nothing was done and all was original.

John, do you think it was replaced?. The old shifter boot that I took off (extremely dry rotted) had a red painted tinge to it. I'm not sure if Wheel Horse painted them with the boot on?

Thanks, John

Tankman

Certainly a long set screw. Obviously the screw you use should be shorter.

My opinion, long set screw will tear up a new shift boot due to shifting gears. Put a little Never-Seez on the screw threads.

Racinbob

The last batch of those setscrews I got were long like that. Apparently that's just what Toro decided to use. I agree with them damaging the boot.

rmaynard

Just get a thread protector cap from the hardware store. Slip it over the end. That will protect the inside of the boot and keep dirt and debris out of the end of the set screw.

• Like 6

Gary L.

I punch a hole using a leather punch in the side of the boot that is a snug fit  to slide over the set screw. the boot fits good and stays in place.

Gernzz8

I'm not having any luck finding the 1/4-20 X 1" "Dog Point" set screw for the shifter.

Gary, I don't like the idea of penetrating the boot. The gear oil in the Transaxle was like Cheese Whiz, from water entry. I bought my B100 in November and it came with a Snowblade. So, I will be using it in the  snow and from what I'm hearing about the "1533" obsolete axle bearing, I don't want to have any water in the Transaxle. This set screw is just too long, it will rub through the new boot in time. I am literally stretching it over and can feel the set screw distort the boot.

rmaynard

Get a thread protector and that boot will be fine until you find the correct set screw.

Edited by rmaynard

Gernzz8

I'm waiting for my Brake & Input Shaft seals to come in at NAPA......(Thank you Guys for ALL the tranny specs and cross numbers!!)......... Hopefully, they come tomorrow.

I think I will look into McMaster-Carr or Lawson for the set screw. I wanted to finish everything before putting it all back together.......Bob, I will use your suggestion until I have the proper set screw. Snow is coming to Jersey this weekend.

Martin

mcmaster carr carry the setscrews if you are worried about the extra length. I would do as @rmaynard said until you get the right one. I have got the setscrews from mc master I will see if i can find a pn......

edit.

$5.61 for pack of 10....

95289A347

some extra reading on the subject....

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/33552-damaged-threads-in-shifter-set-screw-hole/?do=findComment&comment=290383

Edited by Martin
  • Like 1

Gernzz8

1/4-20 X 1inch Alloy Steel......... $8.00 for a package of 25.......Who needs a set screw?

McMaster-Carr  Part   #92505A5   $7.85

Martin

why buy 25 when you can buy 10 for $5 something?

95289A347 used to be in packs of 25 too, but now in packs of 10.

Gernzz8

Thanks Martin!!.....Just ordered them.

(I will have 9 extra if someone is in need.)

All the Best,

Danny

• Like 1

wallfish

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. There are 2 "old school" hardware stores nearby that still carry all kinds of those little parts like this. Unfortunately stores like them can't always compete with the big conglomerate chain stores and are becoming more rare than a RJ-25

• Like 2

leeave96

Yes - McMaster Carr is the place to get the dog point set screws.

However......

Don't over tighten the lock nut or you can break off the set screw with a very short piece left in the tranny casting and will find yourself with a pair of tweezers to get it out.

Don't ask me how I know.....

Bill

elcamino/wheelhorse
On 1/19/2016 at 9:00 PM, wallfish said:

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. There are 2 "old school" hardware stores nearby that still carry all kinds of those little parts like this. Unfortunately stores like them can't always compete with the big conglomerate chain stores and are becoming more rare than a RJ-25

You may think I am lying but I am not. There are not old school hardware stores in Richmond that I can find . Hardware stores- True Value ,ACE etc. When I visit my uncle in Bedford PA I make a point making a list of items that I need or am low on and visit the old school hardware store . Only 230 miles one way from my house

Gernzz8

Just installed the new "revised" set screw. Quite a difference between the two.

I'm not too tight on the set screw or the lock nut and I can move the shifter up and down a few thousands. I noticed that 1st & 2nd gear (to the Right) "glides" into gear and Reverse & 3rd gear (to the Left) "drop" into gear. Before the replacement of the set screw, ALL my shifts "dropped" in? I will monitor as I use her.

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

• Like 1

rmaynard

Not sure I understand what you mean by "drop" and "glide".

Gernzz8

When I shift it into 1st there is a minor feel of resistance the whole way, 2nd gear is the same with just a little less resistance.

In Reverse you can feel the "notch" as you enter and it "drops" into gear no resistance if any, same with 3rd.

I removed the set screw and can see a small "witness" wear mark showing on the Dog Point. I'm thinking that the set screw has to seat into the 40 year old shifter ball.

What do you think? 

Racinbob

You should feel when the shifter detent balls drop into the notches in all gears. Adjust the set screw until you feel some resistance going through the gears then back off a fuzz and tighten the locknut to hold it there. It kinda sounds like it may be a bit tight. The dogpoint should go in the hole on the front of the ring on the shifter. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Gernzz8
8 hours ago, Gernzz8 said:

When I shift it into 1st there is a minor feel of resistance the whole way, 2nd gear is the same with just a little less resistance.

In Reverse you can feel the "notch" as you enter and it "drops" into gear no resistance if any, same with 3rd.

I removed the set screw and can see a small "witness" wear mark showing on the Dog Point. I'm thinking that the set screw has to seat into the 40 year old shifter ball.

What do you think? 

I am definitely in the hole on the front of the shifter with the dog point & I can physically see the shifter ball move up and down when I pull/push the shifter.

I will loosen it a wee bit when I get home tonight. The interesting thing is that Reverse & 3rd are Normal, 1st & 2nd Drag into gear. I drove it last night (standing on the trailer hitch) and all the shifts stay in gear and feel positive. If you look at the set screws in the photos you can see the "break in" of the original dog point. I'll touch base later.

Have a Great Day!

Danny