953 nut

1-14-1954 This one is for Craig!

953 nut

56978d1da08cc_1-14-1954hudsonmotorcompan

• Like 9

AMC RULES

In reality...these two guys should get credit for the '71-4 Javelin. 

Donohue%20Mark_image100.jpg

Anyone remember their names? 

• Like 2

953 nut
34 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Not sure, but it looks like Roger Penske and Mark Donohue to me.

• Like 5

squonk
1 hour ago, AMC RULES said:

In reality...these two guys should get credit for the '71-4 Javelin. 

Donohue%20Mark_image100.jpg

So who's fault were the Gremlin and Pacer? :):teasing-poke:

• Like 5

AMC RULES

I'm blaming you. 

• Like 3

can whlvr

I was more fond of the rebel,liked the amx as well,but the rebel is a mean lookin car

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Edited by AMC RULES

953 nut
2 hours ago, squonk said:

So who's fault were the Gremlin and Pacer?

While you are looking for styling flops don't forget the Marlin! There was no drug testing in the styling Department at AMC in the '60s.

569851c9853ee_1966AMCmarlin.jpg.8148b25f

• Like 1

AMC RULES

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor
15 hours ago, squonk said:

So who's fault were the Gremlin and Pacer? :):teasing-poke:

You have to remember that the:

• Gremlin was sold as an economy car to compete with the Vega and Pinto. It offered more shoulder room and horsepower. In the beginning it was even touted that there was a maintenance manual that owners could do their own repairs. It was also sold with a fantastic warranty compared to other manufacturers as a marketing tool, not that there were problems. 

I would love to have the later rendition, AMC Spirit with AWD, for a winter car. They were raced over in Europe for two years. James Brolin, the actor, I think was one of the drivers.

• The Pacer was originally designed for a still-born Wankel engine which really hurt access to numbers 5 and 6 cylinders. I think the factory procedure was to drop the engine out the bottom, or remove the front sheet metal. Just like Jeep with the FC-series, it was easier to remove the whole cab!

It did have some interesting design features with the right passenger door being wider to allow easier access to the rear seat. 

• The Marlin was a "Me Too!" design that looked okay in its day.

I owned two AMC products and wouldn't mind finding one to have as a cheap collectible. There is a fellow about a mile from me that has three Eagle station wagons in various states (drivable and up on stands) and a two-door Hornet as his daily driver

• Like 2

64s

I grew up on AMC's.   My Uncle worked for them since I can remember.  We had the Ramblers, Matadors, Ambassadors, Hornets, and almost the Pacer. Thankfully my parents had a bit of sense.

AMC was ahead of its time as far as innovation and safety, but their downfall (in my opinion) was they never greatly changed the styling. They built good reliable cars when people wanted flash, and they never really caught up to the Big 3.

I loved the straight 232.  I joked that you could fix it with bubble gum and Barbie pins.  You could take three cars (10+ model years apart), rip them apart and make one good daily driver.  Good old days.  Yesterday I  replaced the thermostat in my mothers car - 2.25 hours in a 2003 GM 3.4 V6.  In a AMC 323, 6.5 minutes if you took your time!

• Like 4

TDF5G

I like old cars, mostly GM stuff, but I was a fan of Matadors when Bobby Allison drove one in NASCAR in the 70s.  And they got one on ADAM-12 TV show too!  Always liked that show.

clueless

Back in the early 70' a friend and I are riding down a back road at night in south Alabama in his 440 GTX. Not sure what the speed limit was but for sure we were exceeding it. Car comes up fast behind us and then pulls up alongside, my buddy say's it looks like a Jav and he's pointing like he wants to run us. Buddy punches it and off we go, Javelin stays right with us, after about 10 seconds light comes on, it's a state trooper!!?? We pull over, trooper asked why we took off when he pointed for us to pull over, buddy says in the dark the car didn't look like a police car and we thought you were pointing like you wanted to race. Trooper laughed and said that's what I thought, gave my buddy a ticket for 15 over the limit and said he'd let the racing part slid. Ah the good old day.

Lets be careful out there.

Chris in Florida.

17 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

• Like 3

AMC RULES
2 hours ago, clueless said:

Back in the early 70' a friend and I are riding down a back road at night in south Alabama in his 440 GTX. Not sure what the speed limit was but for sure we were exceeding it. Car comes up fast behind us and then pulls up alongside, my buddy say's it looks like a Jav and he's pointing like he wants to run us. Buddy punches it and off we go, Javelin stays right with us, after about 10 seconds light comes on, it's a state trooper!!?? We pull over, trooper asked why we took off when he pointed for us to pull over, buddy says in the dark the car didn't look like a police car and we thought you were pointing like you wanted to race. Trooper laughed and said that's what I thought, gave my buddy a ticket for 15 over the limit and said he'd let the racing part slid. Ah the good old day.

Lets be careful out there.

Chris in Florida.

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/10/10/158-mph-on-an-alabama-evening/

Other than the Troopers accounts in the Hemmings link above this is the first time I've ever heard any first person accounts...

of anyone incountering the Alabama state police 401 Javelins out on the road.

Was pretty cool to read...and I thank you for sharing it here.  :thanks:

953 nut

I always liked James Garner in Maverick and the Rockford files and my all time favorite, "Space Cowboys", but I never knew he was a racer.

:thanks:

• Like 1

clueless
37 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2007/10/10/158-mph-on-an-alabama-evening/

Other than the Troopers accounts in the Hemmings link above this is the first time I've ever heard any first person accounts...

of anyone incountering the Alabama state police 401 Javelins out on the road.

Was pretty cool to read...and I thank you for sharing it here.  :thanks:

Craig, later that same year I was working at a 7/11 store in northwest Pensacola, one late night a couple of county sheriffs pull in the parking lot then a state trooper. After awhile one of the sheriffs comes in for some coffee, I ask him whats going on, he said the FHP were chasing some guy in a big block chevelle at high speeds all over the northwest part of the county for to past 20 minutes, and they were just monitoring it on their radios. A few minutes later the troop walked in a said he's on I10 heading for Alabama were going to let him go we already let the Bama state troops know he's coming, the guy with the Javelin will ether catch him or run him of the road. Found out later the guy had left his girlfriends place piss off and then thought he could out run the cops, cost him some money in both states and a night in the Baldwin County jail. Also coming back from Atlanta one afternoon pulled in to a dinner in Opelika Al. to eat, in the parking lot there was a troop in one talking to a guy, the engine was running, sure sounded sweet, could of been Corp. Cottingham  who knows. Well that all of my Alabama state trooper Javelin sightings. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

How 'bout this guy...anybody remember him?  :confusion-shrug:

AMC RULES

tajavx02.jpg 

amc-racing-team-dealership-emblem.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES

shallowwatersailor
15 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

How 'bout this guy...anybody remember him?  :confusion-shrug:

When I was young, I can remember the tricycle "Spirit of America" being displayed at the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. My brother and I were obsessed with the Bonneville Salt Flats back then.

I wish my ex hadn't gotten rid of my tricolor AMC jacket!

• Like 3

AMC RULES

569bc7082bff8_Picture1584.thumb.jpg.4d99569bc735d3a3f_Picture1586.thumb.jpg.90af569bc753e37c9_NEWamcrules00logo.jpg.db61

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Great vids of racing history, thanks for sharing.---Wayne

• Like 1

squonk

AMC's were interesting when they came into the shop.  I remember 2 old ladies who had Hornets. Same year and everything. One red the other powder blue. Then forget it. Both had Ford starters and GM alternators, but one had Ford front brakes and the other Chrysler. One had a GM rear axle and the other Chrysler. 1 had AMC ignition and the other Motocraft. They both had GM/Saginaw steering columns but 1 had the GM gear and the other Chrysler. What a nightmare to get parts for these things.  And don't get me started on when they took over Renault and that crappy Jeep line up in the early 80's :) :rolleyes:

• Like 1