Sign in to follow this  
rwilson

clevis hitch

rwilson

This might be a dumb question but i'm sure some of you have dealt with this. How do you get the pin out of the rear when it is rusted in there? I just bought a clevis hitch today but i cant get the pin out to put it on. :hide:

linen beige

Lots of penetrating oil, maybe a little heat and some not too hard tapping with a hammer and punch. Mostly patience. May sound funny but do you have the snap rings off? They can get covered with grease and you can't tell they're there. I have found a lot of these pins frozen in place not by rust, but by old, hard grease. Penetrating oil and a little heat softens that right up. Be careful trying to force one out by beating on one end. The ends can mushroom out easily. This makes the end larger than the hole so it won't go through, and damages the snap ring groove. Always use a punch and alternate your efforts from one end then the other. If you use heat, warm it up slowly so you don't crack the cast iron tranny. Good luck!

rwilson

snap rings are off. been sprayin it with PB twice a day for a week now. heating it up wont hurt anything in the trans?? :hide:

MaineDad

As advised - keep putting the oil to it and try to work it up and down first before you try to get the pin out. It took me a couple of weeks to loosen and remove mine when I bought it. Be patient...

CasualObserver

No, the heat won't hurt it any and PB is great, so is Kroil if you have that. Make sure you're doing any hammering or tapping on a drift pin that is softer than the shaft. I'd recommend a brass rod or pin if you can get a hold of one. If you mushroom the head on either end, you've made it more difficult and will have to use a file and grinder to get it out. Once it's out, I'd personally recommend what I did, got a Grade 8 3/4" hitch pin from the hardware store. A little grease and a nice big handle to give it a turn once in a while to make sure it doesn't freeze up. Looks just like this, only mine doesn't have a chain on the keeper.

6302848.jpg

Never had a problem with this setup yet.

Michael Bullington

I have one that I never got out...I did get it to move up and down, so I just left it in place...Good Luck!! :hide:

oldandred

If you mhave a air compressor heres what I use A air hammer just be sure to get it in the center and let it rip the air hammer is the tool they use for cutting metal and splitting ex, pipes works for me after a week of PB blaster O yea i take the wheels off. and if that dont work cut the pin with a saws all now that will work :hide::D :hide:

Nick

Ive had a couple that had to be drilled out then cut down the center with a saws all to finish releasing it.

linen beige

Make sure you're doing any hammering or tapping on a drift pin that is softer than the shaft.

I knew I left out an important detail

! :hide:

The hitch pin idea is a good one too!

kpinnc

One more point:

Be very careful hitting the pin at all on the "skinny" side of the tranny. The case is split off of center, and the narrow half of the case where the pin goes through is much more vulnerable to breaking.

I always continue putting PB on the pin, and when it begins to move, spray the newly exposed section and drive it back the other way, repeat, and keep going.

You'd be surprised how much more it moves when you force the penetrating oil further inside the hole.

When you do get it out, a round wire brush will help remove the rust inside. Molybdenum grease is a good thing to coat the inside with as well. It lasts longer in there than regular grease.

Good luck!

Kevin

Rollerman

A couple of really stuborn ones I have worked on required cutting the pin out.

I was able to carefully use a saw zaw between the hitch & trans.

Once I remove the hitch I find the pin is normally froze to the hitch & not the trans case.

With a little work I'm able to remove the old parts of the pin & use a brake wheel cylinder hone to clean everything up.

I spin up a new pin n the lathe & make sure I use plenty of antiseize when I reassemble. :hide:

rwilson

well i got it. dont know if any of you know what a balljoint press is. but it worked like a charm. The press is basicly a glorified C-clamp. one side has a ring to let the stem of a ball joint through and the screw end hes a 23mm hex head on it. a little air impact and hit the end of the screw and it freed up enough so the impact would finish it the rest of the way. it took about 3 hours to do everything. remove tires, get pin out, clean the pin on wire wheel and clean the hole out in trans. it now has lots of neversieze, put cable and cable housing in(had to make a new cable and loosen up the trans to get it in) and put tires back on. I'll get some pics on here one of these days when i can steel the camera from my wife!! thanks for all the tips. oh i didnt use any heat either. :hide: :banana:

sorekiwi

With a little work I'm able to remove the old parts of the pin & use a brake wheel cylinder hone to clean everything up.

I have a 3/4" ball hone made for brake cylinders. It is just perfect for cleaning up the bores for spindles, or the lift arms etc, front wheel bearings etc etc.

Back home in New Zealand, we call these "dingleberry hones" :hide:

rwilson

Well here it is in all its glory!

DSC_0308.jpg

gwgdog66
well i got it. dont know if any of you know what a balljoint press is. but it worked like a charm. The press is basicly a glorified C-clamp. one side has a ring to let the stem of a ball joint through and the screw end hes a 23mm hex head on it. a little air impact and hit the end of the screw and it freed up enough so the impact would finish it the rest of the way. it took about 3 hours to do everything. remove tires, get pin out, clean the pin on wire wheel and clean the hole out in trans. it now has lots of neversieze, put cable and cable housing in(had to make a new cable and loosen up the trans to get it in) and put tires back on. I'll get some pics on here one of these days when i can steel the camera from my wife!! thanks for all the tips. oh i didnt use any heat either. :omg:

gwgdog66

Prater

I pulled mine out by hand today...LOL

Now the '64 in storage will be a different story. I have been hitting all the bolts, pins, and pulleys with PB Blaster in hopes that some will loosen up when I start pulling it apart this coming winter...

gwgdog66

I pulled mine out by hand today...LOL

Now the '64 in storage will be a different story. I have been hitting all the bolts, pins, and pulleys with PB Blaster in hopes that some will loosen up when I start pulling it apart this coming winter...

:omg: Yea my brother's 2005 315-8 pulled right out too.

bell

So did a TRASHED 854 that I traded for a couple months ago... I NEVER would have thought it would come right out. I wish they all were that easy...