Sign in to follow this  
rwilson

wheel weights

rwilson

Anyone ever make their own wheel weights? If so can we see some pics of them? I'm too cheep to buy some, well the wife wont let me!!!

CasualObserver

These are not mine, but were seen on another forum recently. (Please pay no attention to the color of the tractor in the last photo... we're talking about the weights here!)

Twenty-Six pound wheel weights for under Twenty Dollars.

2 tin popcorn $5 each, 1 bag concrete $4, and 8 3/8"x5" bolts $3.

weight1.jpg

Remove wheel set on top of tin and mark for bolt holes.

weight2.jpg

Drill marks at edge of tin and add bolts leaving 4" of bolts inside of tin secured with two nuts.

weight3.jpg

Place tin with bolts in wheel and adjust bolts. I used 3/8" for play in 1/2" holes and leaned bolts to the inside of the tin.

weight4.jpg

Mix concrete and fill. I filled to a depth of 5 inches that put the outside edge at the end of the valve stem. I also added some plastic fence for extra strength.

weight5.jpg

Let concrete set then cut tin off at top off concrete.

weight6.jpg

Glue on tin lid with some type of construction adhesive.

weight7.jpg

Paint and mount.

weight8.jpg

Hardest part is waiting for concrete and paint to dry.

Now of course you wouldn't be painting yours yellow... but a nice red, black or even Linen Beige would look nice!

BairleaFarm

Great write up and pics. Thank Tim for us. This will ne a great spring project for me.

T-Mo

David,

Wow! I saw the name Simpleman and was thinking we got another new member. Maybe I need to welcome you. :hide:

BairleaFarm

:hide: still the same ole me

linen beige

even Linen Beige would look nice!

You rang? :hide:

big mike

All core web site images and graphics are the property of the ************ forum. Any unauthorized use, reproduction, duplication is prohibited.

OOOOOOOO.....Jasons's gonna be in tttrrrroubleeeeeee :D :hide:

BairleaFarm

.....Jasons's gonna be in tttrrrroubleeeeeee

no hes not because he quoted them. the real worry should be why is he over there? do he secretly love yellow and white? :hide:

rwilson

I know what i'm doing tomorrow!!! (eating popcorn) :hide: :D

Nick

How much did they weigh? Also Ive looked for those cans before and they were cheaper to buy at discount stores with popcorn in them than to just buy the can. :D

Looking at these some more I was wondering something. Why couldnt you use a thicker steel, run all thread rod all the way through, and make weighted dual wheel adapters? :hide:

rwilson

Thats another good Idea. I dont see what it would hurt to do the dual wheel adapters. :hide:

rwilson
Twenty-Six pound wheel weights for under Twenty Dollars

Curmudgeon

I've used barbell weights, and they work great. 20 pounders are the best size, but unfortunately they have apparently discontinued them.

The only pictures I have available online are installed pictures:

snowremover.jpg

C-121rr.jpg

Weight per wheel is variable by how many you add. Fronts can be anything from 8 to 40 pounds per wheel, with rears ranging from 10 to 100 pounds per wheel. More if you don't mind them extending beyond the edges of the tire.

Here is one more picture, 60 pounds on each rear whee!!

TGDone3-30.jpg

big mike

Nick,I used to work at a hardware store and I got some of those cans for storing bird seed.Do It Best calls them lard cans and they weren't awfully expensive either.I also remember seeing someone made concrete weights using a plastic 5 gallon bucket for a form.

Duff

Nick,I used to work at a hardware store and I got some of those cans for storing bird seed.Do It Best calls them lard cans and they weren't awfully expensive either.I also remember seeing someone made concrete weights using a plastic 5 gallon bucket for a form.

Actually, if they are the right size, the sheet rock buckets would solve any issues with nicking, denting and rusting!

Duff :hide:

Raider

Here's a set I made for the snowblower tractor. They look too big on the skinny wheels because I had made them for the wider wheels.

I used the wide wheels as forms. I put in a styrofoam disk over the center of the rim and cut strips of cardboard and lined the rims. I also made a cardboard ring that extended past the top of the rim so I could make the weights extend out from the wheels. The cardboard gives enough clearance from the inside of the rim on the finished part. I put a plastic bag inside the wheel and then put in the bolts and tubes. The tubes are scrap cpvc plumbing pipe. The washers and nuts are recessed slightly by cutting the bottoms off of plastic cups and putting them in the mold. I lined it all up with a couple of sticks after the concrete was poured in. I painted the weights with a coat of spray bedliner and a coat of metallic hammered finish paint for fun. The weights are around 50# each. I mounted them with a big rubber washer on each bolt between the wheel and weight. With the skinny tires the tractor really digs in and I haven't needed to put on the chains yet.

wh36.jpg

wh37.jpg

wh35.JPG

KyBlue

Instead of using something like the Tin can or a bucket...Why Not use one of the Cardboard footing tubes... Next time Im up at HD or Lowes... Ill have to check diameter.. see if they'll fit down in the rim or if they are too big/small ... just a thought

Butch

What about making weights outa lead? Cost? Too hard to melt? Molding problems? Size wise it would seem like lead would be the way to go. We had a lead brick at work someone brought in and it weighed probably near 50 lbs.

Butch

Here is one more picture, 60 pounds on each rear whee!!

TGDone3-30.jpg

I didn't realize those hubcaps were so heavy. :hide:

linen beige

Instead of using something like the Tin can or a bucket...Why Not use one of the Cardboard footing tubes... Next time Im up at HD or Lowes... Ill have to check diameter.. see if they'll fit down in the rim or if they are too big/small ... just a thought

When you add the thickness of the tube to a twelve inch form they won't fit into the rim. They also cost more than empty joint compound buckets. The bucket can be left on to protect the concrete from impacts that might break off pieces, the cardboard forms come apart when they get wet.

KyBlue

Well I wont be leaving the bucket on...and those tubes are made to be removed at least above ground, they'll decompose below grade.

It was just a thought thou.. obviously not a good one