378Pete

Why do you guys have so many Wheel Horses

TDF5G

It's certainly an addiciton, disease, or mental illness or something.  I've told this on the forum before, but I grew up on :wh: as my dad always owned them. I have one I've used for 20 years, went searching for a good mower deck as mine was rusted out, ended buying a whole tractor to get a good deck, got the extra tractor running and caught the bug, ended with 5 of them in less than a year.  Still on the hunt for good deals too! 

:rolleyes:

• Like 7

DennisThornton

I think Wheel Horses offer more function, better bang for the buck, best dependability, simplest ease of service and the most readily available source of parts and attachments than any other brand!  Period!  I think that overall, everything considered, Wheel Horses are the best bargain for garden tractors available!  You'll easily notice I don't have just Wheel Horses either, and I'm not saying they are the best GT and certainly not the only good garden tractor but overall I do think they are the best value.  They were marketed as a tractor with many attachments that would get you through all seasons and while then it would have been price prohibitive, today's pricing says we might be able to have some dedicated task machines.  We can't be expected every snow storm to use the blower and then swap for a blade for final cleanup!  So take that idea a bit further and why should we take off mower deck and swap for a snow blower anyway.  That takes a few minutes and really isn't fun or accomplishing anything!  And what if one tractor is attached to a cart that has top soil in it and you need to haul something?  Got to have another tractor and cart!  And what if you have a LOT of dirt to move?  Or a big hole to dig?  Can't be swapping FELs and backhoes!  What if you are trying to provide quality food for your family with an organic garden?  Might as well ride while you till!  And on and on it goes! 

It just makes good sense to have more than several!  OK, I got a little excited there. 

Guys!  Where's the next meeting?

• Like 6

can whlvr

I got into this horse thing in the early seventies when my grandma had a 73 noname,then when I got a property big  enough for a tractor I bought a 308-8,brand new in 86,still got her and a few more7,keep her company,i look every day on kijiji for good deals,i only buy real cheap tractors and they don't come around very often anymore,so I only get a few per year,dont have any where to store more than 8 anyway

• Like 4

Jimf413
6 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

This is crazy all you grown men buying these horses like they were candy in a candy store.as for me I only have 5  .the crazy part is there is

nothing like the enjoyment of taking a machine and totally restoring it to a thing of beauty .this is what I did to my c160 hydro. the wheel horse

is a great and well built machine. I love to work on something that will give me back what I put into it. Love my c160 ,its a beast.

And this is a crazy hobby to have.

So I'm crazy like a fox. my wife posted this pic on fb. First plow with his restored WHEEL HORSE !!

Picked up a really nice 77 b80 with deck and plow last month,   and I will restore it to be a beauty also.

BOB.jpg

I have 9 Wheel Horse tractors but my favorites are the three C160's the 416 and two 800's one of the C160's is a Hydro with a 42" Bolens mower deck.

• Like 4

WH nut

Im not addicted or sick. I only have 12 of them.

• Like 5

378Pete
26 minutes ago, WH nut said:

Im not addicted or sick. I only have 12 of them.

I think that is where I am  at now to. And depending on my weekend i may be picking up another 2 very soon. My wife has a great poker face but she has got to be getting close to shutting down my tractor parade!

• Like 3

WH nut
6 hours ago, 69chargerv8 said:

I think that is where I am  at now to. And depending on my weekend i may be picking up another 2 very soon. My wife has a great poker face but she has got to be getting close to shutting down my tractor parade!

So now you tell her you are storing them for a friend.

• Like 2

378Pete
Just now, WH nut said:

Then, Hello new friend!

• Like 4

953 nut
2 minutes ago, WH nut said:

My wife is no genius, but she would see right through that!             :ROTF:

• Like 2

WH nut
Just now, 953 nut said:

My wife is no genius, but she would see right through that!             :ROTF:

Then you have to go with plan B

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Now! Now! Don't be too hasty.  :angry-nono:

As a last resort, there's always plan C to fall back on...

you could always try getting the Mrs into the :wh: hobby too. 

5698d711a8c40_IMG_0124(2).JPG.98e4472438

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 8

WH nut
Just now, AMC RULES said:

Now you're talking

• Like 2

378Pete
48 minutes ago, WH nut said:
50 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

My wife is slowly starting to use them around the farm. I have a craftsman utv mower that she loves. Trying to get her to use a wheel horse but she has difficulties shifting. I have acquired a couple hydro's I am gonna get in service soon, so hopefully that will make it easier for her

IMG_20151106_111531994.jpg

• Like 2

Pullstart

Wheelhorse is like your favorite underwear or socks.  You have a favorite pair and when they get old and holy you get another pair just like em'.  Then you have two favorites!  And repeat... up to 12 or however you feel the need. 

• Like 6

WHX??

Gotta be with AMC on this one..... that ain't no frown on her face.

My wife can't stand long grass hence she does most of the mowing and I keep them running. She does run a mean hydro.  So I aslo tell her if one breaks might be weeks before parts come so we gotta have a backup or the yard looks like $crap and gonna go to seed.. So now we have a backup for the back up and no arguments...and yah constanly changing attachments is for the birds, so a horse for every season is the ticket..

I got my first horse in 1986, a 1067, that i still have and still use. Added a hydro in 2000 and wife had one when we got married in 2003.  Never caught the bug till I found this place in a search for parts for it. Realized then I have a mini herd so they started breeding and now hooked on round hoods. Even went to (OMG) Illinois to get one. I did have a large herd of chrome horses (Harleys) but got disgusted by the cost of parts & accessories and hamsters. so figured this was a less espensive (and dangerous) hobby. Boy was I wrong there!  Now paired my Harley herd  down to two and, like others here,  am always searching for more red horses.

and I quote

"Jim are you Red Squaring again?" means hanging out here and looking for more red...

20150914_182407.jpg

• Like 8

stevasaurus

Jim, I thought I felt a tremor in the Force that weekend.  It always happens when you FWBs cross the southern boarder.  :ROTF:

• Like 4

jb4249

I only have 3 an I feel like a rooky. An 854, RJ58, and a Lawn Ranger. Also a 702 parts tractor.

Ted

• Like 3

82Caddy
55 minutes ago, jb4249 said:

I only have 3 an I feel like a rooky. An 854, RJ58, and a Lawn Ranger. Also a 702 parts tractor.

Don't feel bad...Only 2.5 here.  Commando 800 used for mowing and snow pushing, D160 is a dedicated snow thrower and a D200 project tractor.  The project tractor has rear pto, 3 point, added power steering, cub cadet super steer front axle (for better turning), ARK550 loader and a 22hp predator swap (bought with no engine to repair the D160).  Lots of things left to sort out on that project...

• Like 2

russellmc301

well you think about you can spend 500 on a wheel horse that comes with deck and blade and other things and you go get that with a commercial grade tractor that is not near the quality for much much more and will last 1/4 as long. 

i just love wheel horses, no plastic or cheap steel.

• Like 3

378Pete

My wife has her horses and I have mine. The mare in background is the new horse I got my wife coincidentally the same day the 3rd load of tractors made its way home. And it was just a coincidence!

2016-01-14_09.59.25.jpg

• Like 4

oldredrider

Sounds like it might have been a "planned" coincidence. :)

• Like 1

378Pete
1 hour ago, oldredrider said:

Sounds like it might have been a "planned" coincidence. :)

No, but it couldn't have worked any better. At this rate I get 4 new wheel horses to every one horse for her. Not to bad a deal except I have to feed her horses.

• Like 2

Tankman

You could get the Mrs. A real Horse! A Mustang!

image.jpeg

• Like 5

WHX??

Next horse you have to get her 69 get some red hair dye and give it a RED racing stripe and tell her it is a real painted horse.