truckin88

What Wheel Horses do you regret selling?

truckin88

We also move WH'S for different reasons, but if you are like me you look back on some you wish you didn't sell at the time. I use to buy and sell a lot more but as the family got bigger, career changed and I grew older time has grown shorter for horse tradin. I was thankful to have owned and learned a lot with the 30+ machines that passed though my garage. But here are my top 5 regrets.

1. The 310-8 I sold to Duff, went to a great home, but I put all new shoes on it, case wheel weights, Stevebo'S first restore, the paint was nice. I got this in a trade with Big Jim. It was sweet, Last I knew Duff only improved on it.

2. The C-175 I bought from Stevebo years ago, it was bada** looking. I was scared of the KT rep so I traded it, if I knew now what I knew then I would have kept it. If I remember right it went back to big Jim and Uncle Bo, their comedy was worth the deal.

3. Every round hood I have ever sold, 5 years ago they were easy pickens, they do not pop up at often, especially the 854 I have from KenB that went to Glenn, went to a great home, and got a top notch restore.

4. Mt grandfather's 312-a with 2000 hours. I never owned it, but family was involved and wanted crazy money at first so I walked, come to find they sold it for $400.

5. A beat up 416 I won at an auction, I forget who got it, but Duane and his wife picked it up. Met great people, but wish I kept that tractor, was a good rest canidate K series 16HP 1 lunger....it ran good, low hours.

• Like 6

Sparky

I would have to say it was my 701.....I regretted selling it within hours after it was gone.

Mike........

Digger 66

Wish I never sold my dad's 84 Work Horse after he passed away .  :(

• Like 2

KC9KAS

Hummmm. That's a tough one...Oh wait...I haven't sold any!

• Like 9

953 nut

I was considering thinning out the herd a little, but now I may just continue hording them all!    :ychain:

• Like 8

Wishin4a416

An old round hood. I dont even remember what it was. The WH dealer was dropping something off at work and I was there. I asked what the deal was with it. It had a brand new pull start Briggs on it. He said you want it, 50 bucks. I said lets unload it right now. I put it in my truck and brought it home . Sat in the shed for years. A coworker kept bugging me and I sold it to him. I was busy restoring a car at the time and was tapped out, Money and Man Hours.

• Like 1

Racinbob

I had a herd when we lived in Indiana but everything sold when we moved here in 2000. Two of them stand out though. The first one I bought new which was a 1976 B80/C160 and the first one I restored in the 70's which was an 854. It had the HL-5 lights, the seat back and a NOS hood.

• Like 2

roadapples

My problem is I never sell anything. I`m kind of a hoarder. I probably wouldn`t be able to move if a couple of women hadn`t cleaned me out over the years.

• Like 8

can whlvr

1975 c 160 8 speed,i just replaced it but its not the same

• Like 1

wallfish

So far none of them, but if I had the room to keep them all, then the custom tractors I built would still be here. Still have the first 3 I ever bought which are a 416-8 loader, Early RJ-58 and a 654.

• Like 5

baerpath
2 hours ago, truckin88 said:

We also move WH'S for different reasons, but if you are like me you look back on some you wish you didn't sell at the time. I use to buy and sell a lot more but as the family got bigger, career changed and I grew older time has grown shorter for horse tradin. I was thankful to have owned and learned a lot with the 30+ machines that passed though my garage. But here are my top 5 regrets.

1. The 310-8 I sold to Duff, went to a great home, but I put all new shoes on it, case wheel weights, Stevebo'S first restore, the paint was nice. I got this in a trade with Big Jim. It was sweet, Last I knew Duff only improved on it.

2. The C-175 I bought from Stevebo years ago, it was bada** looking. I was scared of the KT rep so I traded it, if I knew now what I knew then I would have kept it. If I remember right it went back to big Jim and Uncle Bo, their comedy was worth the deal.

3. Every round hood I have ever sold, 5 years ago they were easy pickens, they do not pop up at often, especially the 854 I have from KenB that went to Glenn, went to a great home, and got a top notch restore.

4. Mt grandfather's 312-a with 2000 hours. I never owned it, but family was involved and wanted crazy money at first so I walked, come to find they sold it for $400.

5. A beat up 416 I won at an auction, I forget who got it, but Duane and his wife picked it up. Met great people, but wish I kept that tractor, was a good rest canidate K series 16HP 1 lunger....it ran good, low hours.

Number 5  Marylou and I picked it up for our son Ken  He had it for yrs and sold it at the WH show

• Like 3

snowhound

C-145 with FEL, money was tight and I knew it would sell fast.

• Like 2

truckin88
17 minutes ago, baerpath said:

Number 5  Marylou and I picked it up for our son Ken  He had it for yrs and sold it at the WH show

Nice the 1 lung kohler are so hard to find these days, 416'S around here are generally always onans, I am on the next K series or Mag 416 that pops up. I bought those exact ramps after I met you, and I learned how to load a WH safely into the back of a pickup that day rather than riding it up. 

• Like 2

scotty

My custom 8 speed GT-14 spent alot of time custom designing it. It was pretty much a tank.

DSC_0653_zpsb2ulewyh.jpg

I also regret trading off my 520h i ended up trading it for a c-175 and then traded it for a 417h which i ended up having to part out it was way to rough. Mistakes were made on that one. Gotten a lot smarter since that deal. Ive been on a hunt for another one since i got rid of this one. Both were learning experience thats for sure

IMG_20150224_155753_766_zpsvh7x4zcp.jpg

Edited by scotty
  • Like 3

AMC RULES
5 hours ago, can whlvr said:

1975 c 160 8 speed,i just replaced it but its not the same

Ditto...actually the only :wh: I've ever sold...         :crying-yellow:

been gone a couple years now, and still haven't recovered. 

gallery_3498_17_104241.jpg1975 C-160gallery_3498_17_856578.jpg

Oops...I stand corrected.   :angry-nono:

this 1267, is the one other :wh: I've turned loose...

to my :wh: brother Squonk.   :handgestures-salute:

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 6

whfan74

Way too many have passed through the doors over the past 12 years that I have been along for the ride.  If I were to pick a few they would be a sweet running all original 1277 and also my really nice E-141 that went to a good member on here.  But I have come to the realization that if I hadn't sold so many of those in the past, I wouldn't have the cool items I have now.  Can't keep them all......it has to be a little give and take for me.

• Like 2

857 horse

I have never considered the tractor i would sell to regret later......My first is my 401 that was a land fill save.....I can not fathom what that day will bring, if that day were to come,....

..i have been ask,,,,What will it take??   How much?? just tell me......I was ask once ... you can  will it to me...and pay now in advance....but recieve it after i take the last ride.....My children have no intrest in my tractors.....There is a guy at my job....he wants it what ever it takes..he ask that i put a note in my wallet ,,that my wife would find it,,,,telling her...it is his,,,,just fill in an amount.......

Then there is me and what if,,,a faulty lung ,,,,(and i don't smoke).......well....i have thought of this,,,mortality and age comes to a person in the quiet of night.....there is a person................someone in our june group,,,,,,i feel it will never be dismantled,,,,just a rider  for fun......

and at this point....they dont know it will be gifted to them...........my 2 1/2 briggs .....racin machine....

horse,,,,,garden hose 005.JPG

• Like 7

AMC RULES

:crying-yellow:When that day comes...

over here :greetings-wavingyellow: I'm your man.  

• Like 3

slammer302

I regret selling my B-60 it went to Damtrucker a member here!  

IMG_20150807_105318411.jpg

Retired Wrencher

When I got into this years ago a member and  a friend help me with the models and years. Told me can not go wrong with a K Kholer. He was buying and selling them at the time Hence started the Quest that I had to get all the 57 series. As he was traveling New England and N.Y on weekends I already had a 1057 so one day he gave me a call and said hey I found a second 1057  not far  from his house it will be good for parts. I said bring it over. Well it was not a looker but that engine purred like a cat all day never skip a beat. That one I should of never sold. Live and learn. enjoy the ride Gary    B........... 

stevasaurus

I've sold 3, with no regrets...but I still think of them.  Two 502s and a Raider with a broken rod (that I saved from the scrap yard).  All went to good homes.  Joebob got the one that meant the most...an original 502 that was my Dad's.  He was after me for a couple of years to get it, and I was going to will it to him.  Joe is an excellent body/fender guy, and I started thinking it would be nicer to see it restored and going to shows, then seeing it in my shed.  Here are a couple of before and after pictures...how can you regret this??  :)

2012_0930JACKSONVILLE20130001.thumb.JPG.

2012_0930JACKSONVILLE20130002.thumb.JPG.

• Like 7

TDF5G

This is a great thread! :text-goodpost:

I've only ever sold one :wh: and I regret it now.   It was a '68 Commando 8.  I bought it from my uncle in 1993.  He bought it from second owner, who bought it as a trade-in from local :wh: dealer in 1973, which was traded in by MY OWN DAD who purchased it new in 1968!  YIPES!

I didn't know it was my dad's old tractor until just last fall.  I overhauled it and sold to my neighbor in less than a year, and bought my '77 B-80.  My neighbor sold it many years ago, doesn't remember who to he says.  If I'd only had known at the time that it was the same tractor, it would have been a great restoration project now!   

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 4

TT

Both of these are now in great hands:

71711RJ35051.jpg

dragstor011.jpg

• Like 8

Docwheelhorse

My 520-8   sold it because I got pissed at the stupid Onan carb and was worried about blowing the rear valve seat... dumb dumb dumb move on my part

My C160-8 that I sold to (I can't remember name now---sorry I'd have to look) but its an avatar here on redsquare and has the blue K series long block and 4 wheel weights etc... tried to buy it back but couldn't afford it

My "Lord Vader" GT1142 with powered bagger / 42" deck... man that ran good and I am a Briggs Fan---one of the few...I painted every square inch flat black and loved the look.

My second FEL.... yah I had two and figured I didn't need both (again dumb dumb dumb)

numerous other knock knacks and attachments, basically I'm a Wheel Horse hoarder and have dreams of properly storing all of them and fixing them up. Trying my best but am slowly coming to realization I may have to get rid of several to "save" them

Tony

• Like 2

WHX??
On Sunday, January 10, 2016 at 1:53 PM, KC9KAS said:

Hummmm. That's a tough one...Oh wait...I haven't sold any!

Maybe we should start an exclusive "I have never sold any club" KC :lol:

• Like 6