AlwaysLookin80

New car project

AMC RULES

For sure, you done good on that deal.  :eusa-clap:

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

Love those US Mags on it. Is it a true GT-350? I'm wondering because of the front airdam and rear spoiler.

• Like 2

KC9KAS

NICE!

Sparky

Super cool lookin ride!!

What's under the hood? I see where it says 351W on the window...looks like it might not have a motor the way she sits.

Mike.....

Wishin4a416

What a nice project for Father and Son.. Good Luck and don't forget the pictures. I'm just to dern old and sore for those big projects anymore. Thats why I changed to tractors.

Docwheelhorse

Man those wheels are COOL!! B)

Cool car too....don't know much of anything about Fords---but a 302 and a 4 speed is what I would want....

Whats with the scoops behind the headlights on the side of the fenders... can say I have never seen a setup like that. Maybe I need better glasses. Cooling the Brakes?? 

Tony

AlwaysLookin80

The body kit is all steel. It was done in 1978. The air dams are 100 percent 

functional for cooling the brakes. It has front wheel disc with a posi 9 inch and ladder bars. It's a automatic but I'm going to put a drive train out of a 87 to 93 5.0 5 speed mustang in it. Fuel injected, no carb. There was a 351 but the guy wanted a lot and I had no guarantee the engine was good. Didn't want to roll the dice on it. The interior is black buckets with console and has a roll bar installed already. The dash is custom with all vintage 

Stewart Warner gauges. It was a race car back in its day. The wheels I love, vintage and they called them "daisies" back then. Floors , trunk and frame all solid. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, J.A. said:

Just picked this up last week. I sold a JD round fender, and my allis b-12 and put that money with some other money I had stashed. My son is 14 and wanted to build a car. It's a 1965 mustang fastback with a Shelby kit. Was in a barn since 1993. Found it 1/2 mile from my house. 

Boy!  That brings back some memories!  Can't tell you how many 65-66 and the occasional 67 I bought, fixed and parted out!  But not single fastback and certainly not a Shelby!

elcamino/wheelhorse

Very nice looking Mustang for it's age. Good project for a 14 year old. Maybe not so good when it street ready and the 14 year has aged and you add both the car and your son to your insurance policy.

AlwaysLookin80

Believe me this is a ride along car for him. Whenever he's in it we will be together. It's mostly a bonding project. Plus it will be 4 or 5 years before its done. I have a young family so it will have limited time assigned to it, plus I'm getting ready to start my RJ 58

• Like 2

whfan74

Awesome project!  I have tossed around the idea of doing something with my son as well.  Good luck with it!

• Like 2

nylyon

Love the fastbacks.  I had a '66 coupe and '68 Convert.  If I recall, the 65 could have a straight 6 or a 289.  That doesn't look like a Shelby to me, but I could be mistaken.

• Like 1

953 nut

:woohoo:  Your son will remember this project the rest of his life. You can teach him many of the basics by involving him in the RJ restoration too.

• Like 1

AlwaysLookin80
3 hours ago, nylyon said:

Love the fastbacks.  I had a '66 coupe and '68 Convert.  If I recall, the 65 could have a straight 6 or a 289.  That doesn't look like a Shelby to me, but I could be mistaken.

Its not a real Shelby car, it's got a Shelby kit installed on it ( body kit ). i wish it was a real Shelby. This car was originally a 289 automatic car. 

2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

:woohoo:  Your son will remember this project the rest of his life. You can teach him many of the basics by involving him in the RJ restoration too.

This is exactly what I'm shooting for. 

• Like 1

RedRanger

That one sat over on Kennedy Ave all summer for sale.  Congrats!

Ken B

That is one wicked project and it brings back some awesome childhood memories for me! A very good friend of mine has a GT 500KR that he bought in the 70's and still has it. Back in the day his beautiful wife Debbie drove the exact car as yours, flares and all . the front fender wasn't opened up like yours.. It had a built 351 Cleveland with a 4 speed. It was black with gold GT 350 stripes, it also had a roll bar... What a treat it was to get a ride in his or her car. Sadly the car is gone and his wife just died... You always knew when she was coming down the road, that thing sounded wicked!

Edited by Ken B

Docwheelhorse

Okay... Like I said, I don't know much about Fords---But how about buying a Crown Vic with as low miles as possible and putting the whole frontend, 4.6 and Auto out of it in the Mustang? It would scoot along decently on the 225hp (???) those motors put to the rear wheels...

Seems like an easy way to upgrade the brakes, steering and front suspension and then have a car ready to upgrade the motor later on.

Tony

VinsRJ

Big Block 4-Speed... any thing else is just a motor and trans...

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse
22 hours ago, VinsRJ said:

Big Block 4-Speed... any thing else is just a motor and trans...

Is that why your Buick is still waiting to be finished---Can't find a 455 Buford  or a Muncie? :ychain:

Tony

• Like 1

VinsRJ
On 1/17/2016 at 7:16 PM, Docwheelhorse said:

Is that why your Buick is still waiting to be finished---Can't find a 455 Buford  or a Muncie? :ychain:

Tony

She's got a 401 Nailhead and a T-10.. .close enough, LOL!

• Like 1

Docwheelhorse

Well..... Big Blocks are nice... and no my Nova doesn't have one. But sitting on a stand is a 1967 327 with Rams Horns and a full AC setup.... someday I want it rebuilt and turned into a Duntov 30/30 equipped 6000 rpm+ mill. Someday.... maybe....

I also have a steel crank small journal 327 short block.... I dunno I love the BBC but the 327 has always fascinated me. Your Bro's "hot" 301 nailhead---did it ever come together? was another motor that was plain cool.

Is your Skylark on the road? Last time I saw it, it was in your garage with fresh paint completely disassembled waiting for someday...

Tony

elcamino/wheelhorse

Nothing better than a 327 . Had a 63 Chevy SS with a 327 , back then horsepower was understated. That B would S and get. Could burn rubber in all 4 gears.

VinsRJ
52 minutes ago, Docwheelhorse said:

Well..... Big Blocks are nice... and no my Nova doesn't have one. But sitting on a stand is a 1967 327 with Rams Horns and a full AC setup.... someday I want it rebuilt and turned into a Duntov 30/30 equipped 6000 rpm+ mill. Someday.... maybe....

I also have a steel crank small journal 327 short block.... I dunno I love the BBC but the 327 has always fascinated me. Your Bro's "hot" 301 nailhead---did it ever come together? was another motor that was plain cool.

Is your Skylark on the road? Last time I saw it, it was in your garage with fresh paint completely disassembled waiting for someday...

Tony

Hasn't been touched since you saw it last... It'll be done before I'm dead... or at least that's the plan, LOL!

• Like 1

AlwaysLookin80

390 FE big block with a top loader 4 speed.