wrmhaste

Transmission questions.

wrmhaste

I am building a wheel horse play toy. I've seen many versions of a 4x4 and would like to try my hand at it. The initial starting point is a 1973 16 auto with a 1-1/8 rear. The tractor with the donor axle for the front is a C121 which I believe was only made 1978-1979. Looks to be the same 1-1/8 rear. My questions are=  are they the same? Same gear ratio? Any help would be great

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

The C-121 should have a Sundstrand 90-1172

The 16 auto would have a Sundstrand 90-2046

I don't know if they are the same, but you should be able to find the info you need if you search the manuals section.

• Like 2

wrmhaste

Thanks. I haven't been on here in a long time. I forgot about the manual section. I've been busy my collection has grown from 2 or 3 to 9 or 10. 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

The sundstrand is the pump that is bolted to the transaxle.  With out looking at the manuals, the transaxles should work the same and be OK to work with what you want to do.  All of the "manual" Wheel Horse transmissions have the same gear ratios.  I don't really think the autos have gear ratios like I am talking about.  I would think they will mate up, or a change of pulley size would do it.  :)   I'm not positive here, but I think it makes since.

wrmhaste

That's what I was thinking initially as far as not having a gear ratio. They are both 90 series pumps so they should be the same. I will be using both pumps and transaxles independently as this tractor will have plenty of hydraulics to run. Mainly the v plow I will be making

• Like 1

953 nut

Here are a couple of great threads on the subject. Not sure how two hydros driven from one engine would be synchronized but it would be very interesting to observe. I presume you are thinking of an articulated frame like used in "Bendy".  :wwp:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/43419-classified-project-c4/#comment-396339

16 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

change of pulley size would do it.

Not sue the pulley size change would work as will on a hydro as it only changes the pump speed. The direction selector adjustment would be critical though.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Yep, we are on the same page.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

wrmhaste

I've watched the bendy build however I've had a plan for many years of something similar to the c4 build however I'm not a fan of the "light weight, non durable" mtd axle. I'm going to be building drive shafts, hubs, and wheel bearings similar to a Dana truck axle. I tend to be rough on my toys and like them to be durable

And I am far from pictures at the moment. Currently it's just a 73 16 auto on jack stands and lots of thinking and measuring. I'm hoping to have the C121 axle at least sitting under the front this weekend

• Like 3

wrmhaste

Project "Angry Horse" has come a long way since I have been on here. not sure if anyone is still curious but the front axle is mounted with the piviot point, drive shafts are built, hubs are built and mounted, temporary wheels are on and its a rolling chassis. pics coming soon

• Like 3

wrmhaste

1482030489607.jpg

1482030490903.jpg

1482030490019.jpg

1482030491377.jpg

• Like 1