Jgoodsell

Automatic 10 bogs down bad when snow blowing

Jgoodsell

I am currently working with a freshly rebuilt 10hp Kohler motor that mowed all summer. Since running it at full throttle I have noticed it is again pushing some oil out of the breather towards the top of the engine. I think that It may be adjust to too high of an RPM and that is causing the oil to be forced out since it is running too fast. I do not have a meter than can measure RPM's as I have seen some people post about though. Any suggestions on what to do about getting her to run better in the snow? The blower is a single stage 42" Wheel horse that was bought brand new by my dad back in the 70's. I have cleaned it up and redone all of the paint on it too. I have talked to lots of people here and they have had no issues with the same model throwing snow. Also put a new chain on her. Any ideas?

Shynon

Was It just rebuilt or have you been mowing all summer? If just rebuilt, check the breather and make sure it is installed with the drain hole on the bottom. I would advise you need to set the RPM at 3600 or risk motor damage. Sounds like you governor is not set correctly causing it to bog down.

• Like 1

Jgoodsell

Is there a way to see what the RPM's are running at without a meter?

Ed Kennell

Do you have a multimeter?rpmwmultimeter_zpse1f96869.gif

Search  RPM measurement for details by SAVE OLD IRON.

Edited by ekennell
  • Like 7

mmmmmdonuts

Thank you for that tip ekennel. I never thought to use a multimeter as a tach. That is awesome. 

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

All credit goes to  Chuck aka SAVE OLD IRON.     I just knew where to find his post.     You can usually find the answers to any question be using the search option.

• Like 1

Pullstart

that is an awesome trick!

Kegler

Great tip on using the meter as a tach, Have worked on motors for many years and had never heard this one.

If you didn't have any problems with it while mowing I would be looking for something binding up on the blower. Might want to check your oil to be sure it wasn't over filled causing the blow back.

elcamino/wheelhorse

Just read the thread on using a multimeter to measure RPM. Unbelievable I printed out to but in my reference notebook. Hats off to Save Old Iron. 

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
13 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Just read the thread on using a multimeter to measure RPM. Unbelievable I printed out to but in my reference notebook. Hats off to Save Old Iron. 

When you see this, SaveOldIron, what is the formula for a twin cylinder?

Edited by WNYPCRepair

PaulC

http://www.amazon.com/CyberTech-Digital-Photo-Tachometer-Contact/dp/B001N4QY66/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1452115079&sr=8-3&keywords=RPM+TESTER

I purchased one of these for testing my RPM's. It will work on pretty much anything that has a spinning surface so you could test the rpms of your box fans at home if you want :laughing-rofl:. It really has been a great tool though and it wont break the wallet either. I put one of the square stickers on the pto bell and its still there to this day so i can pull out that tester and check it at anytime in the total of 1 minute.

and as far as bogging with the snowblower did you try adjusting your ground speed? with a single stage you need to keep the rpms of the auger up and going to fast with to much snow will bog it down for sure. My brother tried to clear my driveway once for me while i was out of town and when i came home he told me he had so much trouble with it that he ended up shoveling! Im pretty sure he was just trying to barrel right into the snow and then got frustrated when the motor bogged down.

Jgoodsell

Thanks for the replies and I will be testing SAVE OLD IRON's suggestion with my Multimeter. I did not have enough time tonight to test it, but I will try tomorrow. If I am unable to make that work, then I will probably take PaulC's suggestion and pick up that one off from Amazon. I need to deal with this before I ruin the engine that I just spent lots of time and money rebuilding. I did however get to enjoy plowing with it tonight as I think that it is not going to see that snow blower again. That blower was originally purchased for use on an 18hp 418-8 that my dad had stolen from him. I am not sure unless told otherwise, that a 10hp should be handling that snow blower. No lost oil this time either, but I did not use it at full throttle either. Half seemed more than enough to give my neighbors a nice snow bank to enjoy!