Jgoodsell

Commando 800 suddenly wont start

Jgoodsell

Went to back her out of the shed to plow and she suddenly died as soon as she backed out. No misfires, no unusual noises, just shut down. Found that the points wire was a bit broken and so I clipped it and redid the connection. Found that I was having issues with spark after testing and keeping the cover off the points corrected this issue. will have to get the correct connector for that later. Now I cleaned the whole carb twice. Took every piece and part off to soak in carb cleaner. Scrubbed what I could with a plastic brush and put it back together. New gas line from tank shutoff to fuel pump and from pump to carb. Also installed new fuel filter that I can see through. Spent about 6 hours messing with it Sunday and all I had was it running really rough for about half an hour. I am noticing that it is leaking gas out the exhaust after trying to start it for too long. I will be borrowing a spark tester to verify that it is getting proper spark. Anyone else run into an issue like this? Now I cant get it to start at all no matter how I attempt to adjust the carb. Redid the seating for the governor as I had to replace the throttle cable too. Its been a long week with this girl and I could use some help.

953 nut

I would start with a new spark plug, they can last a life time or go bad in a second.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:  Make sure you have a good spark at the plug.  

• Like 1

Jgoodsell

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will be getting a new one tomorrow after work and if its not 0 degree out I will give it a shot looking at it.

scotty

I agree with the plug idea my b-80 did the same thing and it was a bad plug.

Jgoodsell

Replacing plug did not fix the issue I was having. It did however fix the issue for the tractor that I borrowed the test plug from because it fouled that plug and made it so my automatic 10 wouldn't start when I needed it to plow. Man what a beast that automatic 10 is with a rebuilt motor! My neighbor almost got some new snow from my drive.... what a day.

• Like 1

elliot ness

:twocents-02cents:Maybe it might be oil behind the points where they screw to the block .I had that once about 12yrs ago, and an old mechanic in my town said it happens a lot to him when he had a small engine shop.

Jgoodsell

I have removed the points and it did not look dirty or wet. I have been avoiding dealing with this one a few days now as I am a bit frustrated and the 10hp Automatic 10 has been so much fun to plow with that I have not had time to look back to this one.

mcurran

i had a similar situation, come to find out the keyway sheered of on the crank. may be worth investigating.