jeff lary

I have no idea what they are called but i need one !

Retired Sparky
On 1/4/2016 at 6:18 PM, jeff lary said:

I really don't know what they are called but I need one !

What I am talking about is the like 1/2 square flat push on nut that the sheet metal screws fasten to. The other day I had to change the drive belt and I had to remove the side panel where it meets the top transmission cover is and I lost one. Still confused? ha ha I will try again.

If you sit on my 312/8 between your legs is the flat panel that the shift lever, brake lock lever, passes through. There are some large Philips head screws that hold the side panel that covers the drive belt. Well when you screw in these Philips screws they go into this " slide on flat nut thing" and then tighten up. I have heard the name before but cannot remember it now? If you know what I am describing please fill me in so we both know ! I would like to buy a few but first I need to know what they are called! They may be called "clip on nut plates"?  Thanks Jeff

Sorry if I'm late to the conversation.  I need some too. "Spring clip nuts."  They make them for machine screws and sheet metal screws. 

I'm going to Lowes. See ya there.B)

• Like 2

jeff lary

I was in Bucksport today myself had to go out on 46 to look at some guardrail damage.

Tankman

I get those spring nuts at Lowes, always on the rack.

Move left some, another rack, stainless hardware. All my Horses have stainless hardware if I can easily find it; i.e.: panel Phillips screws.

Then stop at an auto supply or hardware store and pick up some Never-Seez for the hardware threads. Might have some at Lowes, never checked.

Spring_Nut.jpg

Never-Seez.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I wish the hell Lowes would label the drawers for the specialty nuts and bolts. Spent 30 minutes today pull open drawers to find  1/2" -13 coupling nuts. I like Lowes better than Home Depot , maybe that my local store is worst than most. I need a decent Hardware Store. You know buy nails , nuts etc by the pound , put in a brown paper sack.:twocents-02cents: 

• Like 1

roadapples

Tractor Supply sells nuts & bolts by the pound. Much cheaper than Lowes or HD..

Retired Sparky
On 2/1/2016 at 6:05 PM, jeff lary said:

I was in Bucksport today myself had to go out on 46 to look at some guardrail damage.

So you work for MDOT??B)

857 horse
On 1/4/2016 at 6:39 PM, Digger 66 said:

I believe they're called "blind nuts" but dont quote me .

Nevermind ^ 

"I agree,,,,,blind nuts"............uh,,,,,,,i see now....   nevermind too !!!!         lol

Tankman

Pen nuts work great.

We have pressed these pem nuts in place torqued with a bolt, didn't require a press.

Once pressed in place hold very well. (http://pemnet.com/design_info/video_library_s_test.html)

I've used these up to 1/2-13 thread.

image.jpeg

Edited by Tankman

HokieAg07
On 2/4/2016 at 5:50 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I wish the hell Lowes would label the drawers for the specialty nuts and bolts. Spent 30 minutes today pull open drawers to find  1/2" -13 coupling nuts. I like Lowes better than Home Depot , maybe that my local store is worst than most. I need a decent Hardware Store. You know buy nails , nuts etc by the pound , put in a brown paper sack.:twocents-02cents: 

And with the main Pleasants store, downtown, closing we are loosing just such a store! I snagged quite a bit there today as there are at 40% off entire store. Loaded up on some Regal Red!!!

elcamino/wheelhorse

The Agra Supply down on Wagner Road around Petersburg  use to sale stuff by the pound  but I haven't been down there in years. Hard to justify driving 26 miles one way just to look around. 

HokieAg07
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

The Agra Supply down on Wagner Road around Petersburg  use to sale stuff by the pound  but I haven't been down there in years. Hard to justify driving 26 miles one way just to look around. 

I can confirm that Tractor Supply does also sell by the pound. With stores in Mechanicsville, Ashland, and Midlothian, its relatively convenient option. 

elcamino/wheelhorse

What side of town do you live on? Tractor Supply in Midlo is beyond Brandermill heading east on 360 down near Winterpock. You take you life in every other dumb ass's hand on road getting there.

HokieAg07
Just now, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

What side of town do you live on? Tractor Supply in Midlo is beyond Brandermill heading east on 360 down near Winterpock. You take you life in every other dumb ass's hand on road getting there.

Im about 10 minutes from the Mechanicsville store, south on 295. 

Agreed about getting to the Hull St store.

elcamino/wheelhorse

That's not bad , I live on Southside and it still a big pain. When does the sale end at Pleasants ? That was the only place to look for the out of the ordinary item in the hold area. Not  sure what the new  owner's are going to do with outlying stores. Maybe the can talk Mayor Jones into building them a main store by the Red Skins training camp or in Shockoe Bottom.:deadhorse:

HokieAg07
1 minute ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

That's not bad , I live on Southside and it still a big pain. When does the sale end at Pleasants ? That was the only place to look for the out of the ordinary item in the hold area. Not  sure what the new  owner's are going to do with outlying stores. Maybe the can talk Mayor Jones into building them a main store by the Red Skins training camp or in Shockoe Bottom.:deadhorse:

Store closes on the 27th, it was an absolute zoo in there today. Plenty of hardware by the pound and packaged left, all at 40% off. I would imagine the discount increases in the next week or so. 

jeff lary
On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:08 PM, Retired Sparky said:

So you work for MDOT??B)

Yes