jeff lary

I have no idea what they are called but i need one !

jeff lary

I really don't know what they are called but I need one !

What I am talking about is the like 1/2 square flat push on nut that the sheet metal screws fasten to. The other day I had to change the drive belt and I had to remove the side panel where it meets the top transmission cover is and I lost one. Still confused? ha ha I will try again.

If you sit on my 312/8 between your legs is the flat panel that the shift lever, brake lock lever, passes through. There are some large Philips head screws that hold the side panel that covers the drive belt. Well when you screw in these Philips screws they go into this " slide on flat nut thing" and then tighten up. I have heard the name before but cannot remember it now? If you know what I am describing please fill me in so we both know ! I would like to buy a few but first I need to know what they are called! They may be called "clip on nut plates"?  Thanks Jeff

Edited by jeff lary

oliver2-44

Toro just calls them a clip, I call them a clip nut. You can probable find some at local hardware store (ace,etc) if they have a section with a lot of flat drawers with all kinds of specialty hardware. 

• Like 1

Digger 66

I believe they're called "blind nuts" but dont quote me .

Nevermind ^ 

Edited by Digger 66
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: ...or speed nuts, Toro #107069. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4

squonk

J- nut is another name.

• Like 2

Digger 66

jeff lary

Really,

clip on nut plates

clip

blind nuts

speed nuts

"J" nuts

That's  way more names than I would have guessed. Thanks guys I am off to Google

elcamino/wheelhorse

You can find J nuts clip nuts , blind nuts , what ever they are called at auto parts places ( advance auto , auto zone and others) 

doc724

They are also called Tinnerman nuts or speed nuts.  Some work by just a piercing on the back side of the nut, others have the hole extruded then tapped.  WH used both types

Digger 66

Lowes has 'em too 

jeff lary

There must be different sizes a? I will have to take a screw with me. Its awful to say but I would rather buy on line sometimes its just more fun ! We have a great hardware store a few miles away I will stop in and peruse the joint.

5 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

You can find J nuts clip nuts , blind nuts , what ever they are called at auto parts places ( advance auto , auto zone and others)

Man shouldn't I own a bunch of em ,.... you know just in case ?

I like the idea of Lowes, I have a Lowes card thingy and if you scan it, it will keep track of your receipts so you don't have too.

elcamino/wheelhorse

Pick up extra screws just in case , the little devils grow legs abd run and hide if you drop one. A magnet on a long handle is also a must have tool.

• Like 1

jeff lary

Yes I like to tinker on Chainsaws for a hobby,.. and I am familiar with the magnet option, I own 2 two footers on handles. When you are putting a circle clip at the end of a wrist pin and you hear "SPROING". Should see me crawling around in the shop trying to find it, ahhhh good times.

elcamino/wheelhorse

My magnet is on a 36 inch handle , that way I don't have to bend down.

• Like 1

jeff lary

Gotta love finding a way to do something the easy way.

elcamino/wheelhorse

My shop is so cluttered with stuff , I have to back out the door so I can look for something. I could build a 40 x 40 ft building and fill it up the day it was completed. 

• Like 5

wallfish

Take a bolt with you but the size should be 1/4-20

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

You guys are all nuts. :)

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:         :wh:       metrichn10-9cdigi300.jpg     :woohoo: 

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I would reply but there are ladies on the Forum and the language police may be watching.

rjg854

We're all. :wh: nuts. :text-lol:

• Like 3

WHX??

Just got some quarter twenties from Ace the the other day but took in the nuts cause Ace can be nuts about their prices.:blink::blink::blink:. Worse part  got a drawer full but can't find em....:scratchead::scratchead::scratchead:

• Like 1

lynnmor

How about extruded u-nuts?

nuts

WHX??

Thats a good price for them too ...I just spent 10 clams for only 6 of them, i think they saw me coming,  plus 5 bucks in gas to go get them! Now lets go findem in stainless.. mine seem to rust... I think we need to buy in bulk and open our own RS hardware store!

• Like 2