Sign in to follow this  
COMB2

Paint pressure

COMB2

Got the Valspar Internation Harvester paint from TSC to restore some stuff. I think I got the mixing down. I was wondering what pressure to shoot it on at? I got one of those $100 HVLP kits. Don't know if it will work good but it's all I got.

I have heard people say for example, if you need 30 psi set your regulater on 40 psi so you have a 30 psi working pressure

Need to know the working pressure or estimate and should I put a regulater right at the gun? :hide:

Brian1045

I think I set mine around 35-40 psi. My regulator is on the tank. But you'll notice the psi will dip quite a bit while the trigger is pulled in.

I kinda played around a bit with mine. Anywhere between 30 and 45 should work out pretty well. I mostly used what pressure sounded and felt the best coming out of the gun. Now whether it was exactly right is another story. :hide:

Teddy da Bear

I shoot my PPG automotive paint between 40 and 45psi. Then the clear about the same, but slightly slower passes.

I always use two regulators. One on the tank (of course)...and one before the gun.

The tank regulator is set at 60psi....the regualator at the gun is set to the 40 to 45psi.

I also double filter the air for moisture. One large one on the compressor and one tiny one on the gun.

COMB2

Thanks guys that gives me a good starting point. Will be useing 3 filters :hide:

poodle

hey fellas I'm restoring my 701 and never used a paint gun before I'm gona practice before shooting the parts but these filters your talking about sound real important I don't have a moisture separator on my compressor It's not big enough were should I got to get these in line ones?

stevebo

I tired spraying ih red valspar from ts with a low pressure and it came out poor. Once I increased the pressure up to around 25-30psi it fanned out nice and smooth.

Teddy da Bear

Poodle... I think I got my filters at Menard's or you can try a hardware store.

Anywhere they sell the HVLP guns. Even Northern Tool or Harbor Freight.

They are important. Depending on humidity conditions....you could be

shooting water on your paintjob.

2 filters is all you need. The second tiny one is just a safety backup.