Regal_Red

ID my Horse

Regal_Red

I appreciate all of your information from blades to dash boards.  I am taking in all of your knowledge from all angles. I want to walk a fine line between keeping my WH as the family tractor that it is and all that it has been part of and having it look great.  I'm not sure where that line is, but I know I will find it with all of your help.  ☺️

Thank you. 

Connie

• Like 4

buckrancher
11 hours ago, Regal_Red said:

Brian,

Wow!  That looks nice!  I think I need that! I don't have a key anymore.  It was changed to a switch.  

What is the blue on the choke and throttle and the green on the amp gauge? 

I don't see a serial number under the dash? Why is yours different?

Connie

just have not gotten to the point of putting them on when this picture was taken

Brian

• Like 1

TDF5G
17 hours ago, DennisThornton said:

I've found several wanting $50 for the rear Attach-a-Matic alone and dozer blades around here are $100 and up.  Oh there is a multi-colored but looking complete one for $80 a couple hours from here, but often they are $150 or better if in good shape.  But Stevasaurus is MUCH closer to WH Central so I'm guessing WHs and attachments are more plentiful and cheaper in the mid-west.

I haven't seen one "in person" but man!  They sure look good on other's pictures here on Red Square!

I'm still a relative newbie at this WH collector stuff.  I've been watching for tractors, parts and attachments on ebay, craigslist and the forum here for the past year or two.  As far as prices for used items, the Red Square forum members are the most reasonable (and most helpful) IMO.   You can find reasonable prices occasionally on ebay and CL as I've scored a couple of times.  But IMO for the most part the ebay WH stuff is over priced.  

I live north east of Kansas City MO and commute to KC for work.  As I said, I follow items for sale on RS, CL, ebay and follow a couple of Facebook pages.  Most every tractor, part or attachment is always located east of me and usually several states away.  It seems most things are way east, PA, MD, OH, VA, NY etc.  The price may be very reasonable and I'd certainly be a customer for it, but driving for pickup or getting it shipped makes it very unpractical for whole tractors and attachments especially.  Very rarely will I see anyone who is willing to ship a whole tractor or attachments.   Also, I hardly ever see anything listed to the west of MO, I did buy a tractor on CL that was located in Topeka KS, (about 2 hours from me) but I don't see many ads listed any further west of KS.  

I'm not filing a complaint here, just my observation in my recent search for WH stuff.   Any one else have any observations?   IMO, I'd say most of the WHs must be in the eastern-northern area of the USA.  

• Like 2

RedRanger

I'd say TDF is right on the money.

Prices seem much lower out East compared to Central states.

I also seem to see more round hoods, Mid Engines and RJ's out east than around here.

I find this odd since they were all built an hour from me.

I also notice there seems to be a lot more "horse trading" in the NE than anywhere else.

Ebay is usually priced crazy high and nearly impossible to search for specific WH parts.

Craigs list had some deals, but there are a few guys in my area that are hoarding everything garden tractor related.

Unless you check it daily, you won't find anything.

I've found the best deals at WH swap meets and meet and greets and on this site.

In the last year, I've bought a tractor from IL, one from OH, and two within an hour from me.

I've seen at least a dozen that I would have bought if I lived out east.

• Like 1

buckrancher

pretty simple the majority of wheel horse's were sold where the money is in the mid to north east

Brian

• Like 1

Racinbob

Apparently Wheel Horse needed better marketing people. Living just outside of South Bend in the 80's when Toro entered the picture there was a ton of stuff in the newspaper and the news on TV. I was talking to the owner of Highway 19 Wheel Horse at the time and he said, amongst other things, that they just didn't market well. They had no intention of going west of the Mississippi or the deeper south. One thing Toro said is that they would market Wheel Horses nation wide. I guess so many years of being entrenched in the band from the Midwest to the northeast just kept lingering and that's where most of them remain. 

• Like 2

TDF5G

I've lived here my entire life, (near KCMO) and grew up around :wh: as my dad owned them, so I've always known of :wh: tractors, and the fact they were high quality machines.   My dad was personal friend of the local :wh: dealer and so I got to know him also.

There are many people that have never heard of :wh:.   I'd say about 90% of the people (when the topic comes up) that I've talked to, never heard of :wh:.  Most folks just call anything that has a mower, a lawn mower, and that's all it is to them.  I don't think there is much demand for true garden tractors for the average home owner any more like it was back in the day, probably why Wheel Horse/ Toro tractors are no longer manufactured.  Less people today put in gardens I'd say, or do much extra yard work other than mowing and cleaning up leaves, with some doing snow removal.  The zero turns are the rage now too.

But I love :wh:.  Gonna keep mine forever.   

The marketing makes perfect sense that racinbob mentions too, especially west of the Mississippi.  Once in a while I see something available in CA.  But that's rare.  I see things for sale in MI, IA, and NE on occasion also.   

Sorry about the over use of the :wh: emoticon.  But it is my favorite one!

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 2

Racinbob
On 1/4/2016 at 7:56 AM, Sparky said:

The dual pulleys were to make up for a lack of ACR (Auto Compression Release) on the 1961 7hp Kohlers. In 1962 they came with ACR and a single belt/pullet sufficed.

Mike.......

I'm curious Mike. The K-Series service manual K-91 thru K-341 states that all K-Series except the K-91 have the ACR. Is there something that specifies where in the production they started the ACR? This is simply a curiosity thing for me. :)

buckrancher

all the early kohlers thru 1964 that I have taken apart were pre acr engines in the k141-181 block size

Brian

• Like 2

Racinbob

Bingo Brian! I was just now researching it and discovered that Kohler introduced the ACR in 1965. I guess when they went to a single pulley on the 702 they found out they really didn't need the dual pulleys? :)

buckrancher

the pre 65 engines retarded the timing for ease of starting hence the two flyweights on the cam they were hooked to the point cam lobe and moved independent of the cam to a point

at cranking speed the weights stayed in after the engine started the faster rpm slung the weights out and turned the point lobe to advance the timing to normal position

Brian

• Like 3

953 nut
On 1/11/2016 at 11:25 AM, TDF5G said:

Sorry about the over use of the :wh: emoticon.

@TDF5G   All I can say is :wh:         :wh:          :wh:            :wh:             :wh:          :wh:             :wh:              :wh:                :wh:                  :wh:

You can fill in the blanks!    :ROTF:

• Like 3

Regal_Red

Hi all!!  I went up to camp and picked up what I believe to be a :wh: trailer.  We've always had it and it is definitely the same color as the :wh:.  Here's a side view pic.  There aren't any stickers or part number on it.   Let me know your thoughts.  

There red is a little work to be done on the back edge of the trailer as it is bent in and out a little with a 2" crack on the back edge.  This trailer worked hard when we were using it for garden and yard work.  

Here is is the first picture.  I'll add some more later today and or tomorrow when I get back out to the barn.  It needs some love, but is still solid.  The tires treads are cracked.  We'll see if we need new tires when we put more air in to see if the tubes are good.  The tires are original. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

buckrancher

yes that's a wheel horse dump trailer

Brian

• Like 1