Regal_Red

ID my Horse

Regal_Red
6 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

this horse started out as a 701...so it is a 701...started as a 701...and is still a 701.  soooooo...it is a ....  :)

701

Agreed!  This has been so much fun!  I thank you all for sharing your knowledge and wisdom with me.

Should any of you come across a plow that will work on my 701 :D, please think of me and let me know.

• Like 4

RedRanger
1 minute ago, Regal_Red said:

Agreed!  This has been so much fun!  I thank you all for sharing your knowledge and wisdom with me.

Should any of you come across a plow that will work on my 701 :D, please think of me and let me know.

You think there was confusion over a 701 Vs 702, let's discuss a "plow" Vs a "Blade"!  :ychain:

:ROTF:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Pretty confident...

search "wheelhorse" on eastern CT Craigslist...

you'll see the correct plow/mount setup for your tractor listed there. 

image 1

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Red Ranger nailed it.  When I 1st joined here, a discussion was going on.  It comes down to this....

A plow is an attachment that mounts on the back of your tractor and turns the earth over.  A  Snow Plow does not exist...it is a Snow Blade.  Just so you know.  :)

BTW any "snow blade" that has an "A" frame like Craig pictured will fit on your horse.  You will need the attach-thingy that bolts on the trans axle to attach the blade to use one.  They go for about $25 and the blade will be around $50 to $125.  I would not pay much more then that.  :)

• Like 3

Racinbob

PM sent Regal Red

Regal_Red

Hi guys,

Thank you!  So what is the "blade" called that attaches in the middle of the tractor?  It's used for grading?

I see that there is a 42" snow blade and a 48" snow blade.  Which one should I be looking at for my :wh:

Edited by Regal_Red
spelling

Racinbob

That's a mid-mount grader blade. Definitely a nice attachment to have. You'd be best looking for a 42" snow blade. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

DennisThornton
On 1/4/2016 at 4:39 PM, Regal_Red said:

Thanks for the welcome Wrightorchid!  I wanted to join as a supporter and got myself a hat too!  :wh:  It's a very special tractor to me.  I had no idea that the trailer was rare.  I remember picking up rocks from the garden in it and dumping them.  I can't remember where we put them though.  :P

My husband made all of the graphics and the decals himself.  Now that we know it's a 701 with a 702 hood, we're trying to decide if we should remove the 702 altogether, or change it to a 701.  Because the hood is a 702, he did the appropriate decal for that hood.  Not sure if we should change those to the 701 decal that goes along the side.  We like that one too!  

Any suggestions?? I would definitely like to hear what the group thinks.

You may have a rare 701.5!  I'm not trying to be cute.  Others have pointed out that the Ponds were frugal and not all that concerned about changing things mid-year.  Unless I've overlooked a comment in this thread proving otherwise your 701 might very well have come with that 702 hood!  Maybe it made it to the dealer with a 701 hood that got damaged and was replaced with a 702 hood before it was sold.  Folks say "I bought it brand new that way!  I know it was original!"  Tough to know with Wheel Horses, with all their mid-year changes and overlaps.

However, one thing is original!  Your memories!  Try to be true to both the Wheel Horse and your history with it.  Share them here and with your family.  Obviously we've enjoyed them!  But I suggest you don't get overly concerned about the hood.

• Like 6

buckrancher
On 1/2/2016 at 5:43 PM, Racinbob said:

:WRS:

I'm thinking like Steve. It is a 702. As he mentioned the footrests are 1961 but that was a common swap. The 701 didn't have slots in the hood. The 702 did as yours does but, of course the hoods are interchangable. The 63's still used the one piece tank but the front axle was different. We can't see that. That number would confirm things but if you have the correct front axle I'd say that's enough evidence. :)

63's had the two piece tanks

On 1/3/2016 at 7:56 PM, Sparky said:

Not sure about the seat...I've seen pics of both 701 and 702's with both types of seats.

Mike....

701 ,702 and all others tractors with a front engines thru 64 came from the factory with a square pan seat

Brian

• Like 5

buckrancher

not sure what id problem was it's a 701 with a newer year hood

Brian

• Like 2

Regal_Red
38 minutes ago, buckrancher said:

not sure what id problem was it's a 701 with a newer year hood

Brian

Hi Brian, No problem.  I didn't know and my husband, who was restoring it for me didn't know, so I joined and asked so that we would know.  It will also help us find parts if needed.  We'll know what we're looking for.... well sort of anyway.  We've been having a lot of fun going back and forth.  This tractor has been in my family since it was new so it is very special to me. :)

• Like 2

buckrancher

hello to a fellow New Yorker first motor  powered thing I ever drove was my dads 701 mowed his lawn for 18 years with it

I guess I've had six 701's in my herd at one time down to 3 and a half at present

Brian

the wife and I were at fly creek cider mill the same weekend as the tractor show in cooperstown this year

Edited by buckrancher
  • Like 2

Regal_Red
10 hours ago, buckrancher said:

hello to a fellow New Yorker first motor  powered thing I ever drove was my dads 701 mowed his lawn for 18 years with it

I guess I've had six 701's in my herd at one time down to 3 and a half at present

the wife and I were at fly creek cider mill the same weekend as the tractor show in cooperstown this year

Trumansburg isn't that far away!  It's a lot of fun joining in with people who have the same love for the :wh:.  We all bring our own memories!  This tractor was the first thing I ever drove as well.  I figure I learned the basics of driving on it and then hit the ground running when I was able to drive a car.

Did you bring a tractor to the Cider Mill or just come to enjoy the day and look at other tractors there?  Now that mine is restored and looking awesome, I may have to take it to the Cider Mill for the tractor show.  :-)

I hope to be able to come to the WH show in 2017.  That weekend is booked for this year already.  As you can guess, getting away for a weekend is no easy task here in Cooperstown.

Thank you for jumping in on this thread!

Racinbob

I spoke too quickly on the 63 being a one piece tank. I had a 653 dedicated to a sickle mower and I was thinking it was one piece. That was some 40 years ago and I can't trust my memory from last week. I see the part number is the same for the 854 and that was 2 piece. The 2 piece liked to leak and I ended up using tank sealer in my 854. I guess I just didn't have a problem with the 653. :)

• Like 1

Regal_Red
3 hours ago, Racinbob said:

I spoke too quickly on the 63 being a one piece tank. I had a 653 dedicated to a sickle mower and I was thinking it was one piece. That was some 40 years ago and I can't trust my memory from last week. I see the part number is the same for the 854 and that was 2 piece. The 2 piece liked to leak and I ended up using tank sealer in my 854. I guess I just didn't have a problem with the 653. :)

You lost me! :huh:

Racinbob

I lose me a lot too :)

Prior to 1963 the tanks styled like your were one piece. That's a good thing. Starting in 1963 they went to a 2 piece tank. It basically looked the same but the bottom was a separate piece and bolted on to the top portion of the tank. It was prone to leak because the gasketed seam was constantly submersed in gasoline. A new gasket would solve the issue but it was temporary in most cases. I would install a new gasket with sealer and then seal the inside with fuel tank sealer. I found the sealer at a Harley Davidson shop but there's others out there. I never had one leak after that. Wheel Horse came out with a service bulletin that actually put a smaller tank inside. You don't have that problem. :)

• Like 2

Regal_Red
45 minutes ago, buckrancher said:

what you need regal_red is a new dash from Glenn Petit

I'm not sure why.  I like my original.

• Like 2

Regal_Red
2 hours ago, Racinbob said:

You don't have that problem. :)

Whew!  I am sure I have many others.  :wacko: Haha!

• Like 2

Regal_Red
18 hours ago, buckrancher said:

what you need regal_red is a new dash from Glenn Petit

Brian

Hey Brian, I now see what you mean about replacing the dash on my WH.  I may very well place an order for that with Glenn.  Thank you for providing the info.

Connie

TDF5G
On 1/5/2016 at 4:05 PM, stevasaurus said:

Red Ranger nailed it.  When I 1st joined here, a discussion was going on.  It comes down to this....

A plow is an attachment that mounts on the back of your tractor and turns the earth over.  A  Snow Plow does not exist...it is a Snow Blade.  Just so you know.  :)

BTW any "snow blade" that has an "A" frame like Craig pictured will fit on your horse.  You will need the attach-thingy that bolts on the trans axle to attach the blade to use one.  They go for about $25 and the blade will be around $50 to $125.  I would not pay much more then that.  :)

Except on eBay.   They want fortunes for them.

• Like 1

DennisThornton
7 hours ago, TDF5G said:

Except on eBay.   They want fortunes for them.

I've found several wanting $50 for the rear Attach-a-Matic alone and dozer blades around here are $100 and up.  Oh there is a multi-colored but looking complete one for $80 a couple hours from here, but often they are $150 or better if in good shape.  But Stevasaurus is MUCH closer to WH Central so I'm guessing WHs and attachments are more plentiful and cheaper in the mid-west.

9 hours ago, Regal_Red said:

Hey Brian, I now see what you mean about replacing the dash on my WH.  I may very well place an order for that with Glenn.  Thank you for providing the info.

Connie

I haven't seen one "in person" but man!  They sure look good on other's pictures here on Red Square!

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Guys, I put those prices up there to give an idea what you can get them for.  It was just an idea for what they are worth so she would not buy one for $300.  I have gotten those attachments for free, a bottle of home made wine, and one for $25.  I know they kind of go for $50  As far as the blades, ya the long frames command a little more...$150-$175.  I have gotten the short frame blade for nothing up to $150.  I just did not want her to get caught up in a situation thinking she was getting a good deal, and that is not the case.  Just a heads up for what you can get them for.  OK???  :)

• Like 4

buckrancher

100_6570.JPG.5628f138ca48da4d77433d7e753

that ones on my show 701

brian

• Like 4

Regal_Red
4 minutes ago, buckrancher said:

100_6570.JPG.5628f138ca48da4d77433d7e753

that ones on my show 701

brian

Brian,

Wow!  That looks nice!  I think I need that! I don't have a key anymore.  It was changed to a switch.  

What is the blue on the choke and throttle and the green on the amp gauge? 

I don't see a serial number under the dash? Why is yours different?

Connie