Regal_Red

ID my Horse

Regal_Red

Hi everyone!  I have my grandfather's Wheel Horse from the early 1960s.  We think it's a 702 (he put the 702 graphics on it as a best guess), but aren't really sure.  It has a 7hp Kohler 161, 3-speed with reverse, and a round top.  I am hoping to identify the true model and year.  My husband, with the help of friends, got it running and refurbished as much as they knew as a gift to me for Christmas.  I am hoping this knowledgeable group can help us the rest of the way.  I can add more pictures.  I just dont have them on me right now. Thank you in advance for any help you can give.  Happy New Year! 

image.jpeg

It has an electric start as well. 

• Like 7

stevasaurus

It sure looks like a 702 to me.  One piece gas tank, square seat pan, correct engine, gas cap, muffler, shifter all look right.  The foot rests are not correct though, those are from a couple year earlier horse.  The correct ones have a "D" shape.  :)  That is a very nice 702.  The serial number would be on the top of the tower under the dash plate.  Should be like 62-XXXX.  Knurled. thumb screws (3) would be what fastens the hood to the tractor, if you are really looking for that Round Hood look.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

BTW...WELCOME TO RED SQUARE. 

This is a 502, but it is the best picture I had of the "D" foot rests...

• Like 3

KC9KAS

:WRS: and thanks for the photo!

• Like 1

Racinbob

:WRS:

I'm thinking like Steve. It is a 702. As he mentioned the footrests are 1961 but that was a common swap. The 701 didn't have slots in the hood. The 702 did as yours does but, of course the hoods are interchangable. The 63's still used the one piece tank but the front axle was different. We can't see that. That number would confirm things but if you have the correct front axle I'd say that's enough evidence. :)

• Like 3

Sparky

I agree that the footrests are what a 701 came with...but also the flat faced drivebelt guard is what a 701 used. The indent for the model# decal wasn't introduced till 1962.

How about a pic of the engine? Does it have one belt from the starter/gen or two belts?

:WRS:

Mike..........

• Like 3

Regal_Red

You guys are so great!!  Here are a couple pics of the dash and the engine that I have.  I think it also shows the front axel.  It does sound like we have elements of both models.  Perhaps it was a 701 with some 702 additions?  This is a very special tractor for me.  It really doesn't matter, but it is so great to know more than just the meaning for me.  

image.jpeg

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Good call Sparky, I saw the lack of indent on the guard...so we need some more pictures.  One of the front axle, one of the engine and starter where the fan belts are.  If you really want to go for it...to see if it is a 701 or a 702...check out the fill and drain plugs on the transmission.  See if the are the same thread size or not.  If one is a 1/4" pipe thread and the other is a 3/8", that is a 701 transmission (if original).......if they are both 3/8' pipe thread, that is a 702 transmission (if original).  :)

OH OH, look at that serial number...that is not from a 702.  Check those trans plugs if you would, and pics of the front axle, and the fan belt thingy.  That should do it.

Hey sparky, did the 701 have the square seat pan??  :eusa-think:

• Like 3

Sparky
15 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Hey sparky, did the 701 have the square seat pan??  :eusa-think:

Not sure about the seat...I've seen pics of both 701 and 702's with both types of seats.

Mike....

• Like 3

stevasaurus

That serial number fits right in with Gerry's collection...it is a 701...check this out.  :) Personally, I still want to know about those drain and fill plugs on the trans...please.  The fill plug is on the left side of the trans by the axle, the drain plug is on the bottom toward the back.   :)  Looking at the manual, it shows a square seat and cushion for the 701, and the round seat with 13 holes on the 401.  Thinking you may have had a choice.  I don't know.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/5170-tractor-1961-serial-numbers/

• Like 3

Racinbob

Steve, one parts list shows a 3973 square seat. Another shows a round on the 701. Maybe they used both since that was a transition year??? Maybe the buyers choice like you said??? Few original seats have lived this long though. Interesting on the tranny plugs. That, the front axle and starter belt guard will tell a lot. But the serial number says a lot too. Then there's the hood. :angry-banghead:  :)

• Like 2

Regal_Red

Hi guys!  I'll get some additional pics and check the other parts you suggest tomorrow to see if we can nail this. I don't have an original manual or parts list.  I really appreciate all of your help!

Hi guys!  I'll get some additional pics and check the other parts you suggest tomorrow to see if we can nail this. I don't have an original manual or parts list.  I really appreciate all of your help!  It always stayed in a garage 

• Like 2

Racinbob

You can get the manuals here for free. Check the manuals section on the bar towards the top. We're all here to help and not always right or agree but it's your very best source. We have a lot of fun helping folks though. :)

• Like 4

Regal_Red

Hello all!  I hope you have had a good day.  I had to go in to work for a while today so that tomorrow wouldn't be as stressful.  :). We took a photo of the front axel and I have included it here.  My garage door was frozen shut so we couldn't roll it out to get underneath easily to check the drain sizes.  There is only one belt on the side where the cover is.  My husband wasn't so I to removing the hood to get to the other parts when it is in the upper 20s here.  I can't blame him really. I will ask the guys who worked on getting the engine up and running for me tomorrow.  I'll bet they will know.  I wasn't able to locate the manual when I was looking on my phone last night.  I will try to find it on my laptop. It looks like it is a 701 based on the serial number with a 702 hood.  

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Sparky

The belt cover for the starter gen looks real wide...I bet there are 2 belts under there and that was only offered on the 701.

Mike.......

• Like 2

Regal_Red

Sparky,

I'll out and take a photo of the belt cover.  My husband tried to feel for the belts underneath earlier today when we took the picture.  

• Like 2

Sparky

Don't be fooled if you only feel one belt, one could be missing. Check to see if the flywheel and starter/generator have double pulleys. 

Mike.........

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I agree Mike...that is the wider belt cover for the belts.  Gotta be a 701.  :)  Isn't there something about the shape of that front plate on the frame also??

• Like 1

Racinbob

There could be a difference Steve. The 701 and 702 frames have different part numbers. How does it compare to your 702? I sure wish I would have taken detailed pictures of the 701 I delivered to the big show last year.

Regal_Red

Confirmed!!  There are two pulleys under the cover.  What is the second pulley for?  It works with just the one.  What were your thoughts on the photo with the front axel?  Do you think we are confirmed as a 701 with a 702 hood?  Can't wait to hear what you think!  :text-thankyoublue:

Edited by Regal_Red
Spelling
  • Like 1

Racinbob

They probably just figured two belts were better. It only happened one year. The front axle is correct. I think you're right. A 701 with a later hood. No harm really. I was a kid in the early 60's but the Wheel Horse bug already had me. So many items were changed out over the years that it's impossible to know what was truly factory. Also, Wheel Horse was well known for using up parts and muddying up things more. Parts on these machines are so interchangeable over many, many years that Johnny Cash specials are very common. You've got a great little tractor there and about as correct as you'll find.:)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 3

Regal_Red

I do know I am the third person in the family to have the tractor.  My Grandfather purchased it new. I don't have knowledge of any changes that were made by my Grandfather and Father.  The hood is now clear.  I started driving this tractor when I was about 9.  It's a few years older than I am. :D  I am just so happy to have it and have had the work done to get it running again.  I know my husband knew it would make me happy, but I don't think he even realized just how happy.  

I want to work on getting the rims painted in white and I ordered a seat cushion in the red and white.  

I cant thank you all enough for sharing your knowledge with me and helping to guide me.  

:wh::wh::wh:

:thanks::thanks::thanks:

• Like 6

RedRanger

I'd bet it was a late 701 nearing the 702 production so it got a 702 hood when built.  Maybe the 701 hoods were used up?  Maybe some one on the production line was being cute?

In addition, the 702 has the push button starter and key down on the hood stand, not on the dash panel.

Your choke and throttle cables look to be from 1961 as well.

The 702 has the shift pattern and serial numbers on one decal instead of two as well.

I'd say it's a 701.

I read somewhere that the double pulley system was due to higher compression on the earlier Kohlers.

The later models came out with a compression release at lower RPM during cranking.

• Like 2

Sparky

The dual pulleys were to make up for a lack of ACR (Auto Compression Release) on the 1961 7hp Kohlers. In 1962 they came with ACR and a single belt/pullet sufficed.

Mike.......

• Like 3

Racinbob

Now that makes sense on the ACR. Regal Red, please keep us up to date on your tractor. It's a great story and don't forget that we love pictures. :)

• Like 1

stevasaurus

I would still like you to check those plugs on the trans, please.  If they are different, that would be the WH # 5007 transmission...only came on the 701 horse.  :)  Here is the manual...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/file/1074-tractor-1961-401-551-701-da-om-ipl-wiring-snpdf/

• Like 3