Gernzz8

Overhaul/Reseal Kit for a 5091 Transmission

Gernzz8

Happy New Year!......I picked up my first Wheel Horse 3 Weeks ago......I Love It!!

I have a 1976 B100 (61-10K802) with a a 5091 8 Speed Transmission. I have been gathering as much information as I can pertaining to my "Horse". I am having difficulty finding parts for an "Overhaul/Reseal Kit" for my Trans/Diff. No issues other than having a little water mixed in with the gear oil, due to a dry rotted/split shifter boot. I flushed it once with ATF and drained. I filled it up again with ATF and have added some Seafoam to clean and absorb water. I plan on running it a little with the ATF & Seafoam before teardown.Any help would be appreciated.

All the Best,

Danny

rmaynard

:WRS:

Unless you need some gears or bearings once you get inside, what you will need is the following:

1 - 3912 Gasket

2 - 100443 axle oil seal

1 - 100442 input shaft oil seal

1 - 100441 brake shaft oil seal

All parts listed are still available from Toro, but I would suggest getting the seals from your local NAPA auto parts store using the cross reference in the transmission section. They are cheaper and better.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/42506-bearing-and-seal-cross-numbers/   File #3

• Like 2

Martin

never tried to flush with ATF, but diesel fuel works great in the unidrives for flushing most of the garbage out prior to refilling with motor oil or rebuilding......

Gernzz8

Hey Martin.....Thanks Bob!!

The ATF seems to find all your seal Issues......At the moment, it's the Brake Shaft Oil Seal.

I truly appreciate the Speedy...Response.......

All the Best,

Danny

Racinbob

:WRS:

I'm thinking you really don't need to open it up Danny. The seals can be replaced without doing that. It sounds like you're not having any issues with it and you're getting it flushed out good. If it's only the brake shaft seal you might just do that one unless you want all new seals since you're doing it (along with a new shifter boot). Countless times over the past decades I've done just that and it was back to work. :)

Gernzz8

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing.

I want to "work it" for a season and see if she needs anything else before I do a once over (clean, paint, new decals, etc..) next winter. 

Right after picking up my Horse I found this Amerind-MacKissic 9-WH Shredder on Craigslist. What a Beast (Dangerous)

They Honestly don't make machines or tools like they used to.

Thank You people for all your help.

Danny

IMG_0789.JPG

• Like 2

rick

ATF has some very good detergent qualities. As for being too thin to protect gears and bearings, there was at least one auto manufacturer that spec'd ATF in the manual trans.

I had a 1968 Mustang, 289 w/ a 3 speed manual. In the winter, it sometimes got hard to shift when cold. At the time I worked in a Mopar dealership. As some older members may remember, Chrysler Corporation was slow to introduce a fully synchronized 3 speed manual transmission. second and third (high) were synchronized, but you had to be slick to downshift into low gear while rolling. At any rate, when the buying public started demanding more models with manual trannies, Chrysler developed a proprietary 3 speed manual, but until it was released, they used a Tremco 3 speed fully synchronized transmission. The same transmission as the blue oval crowd! A TSB came out for hard gear engagement in cold weather, specifying the use of ATF to alleviate the problem.

I'm sorry to have gotten off topic, and rambled on....

Nice find on the shredder!

• Like 1

Gernzz8

Happy Spring!

Well, I have worked my B100 for a little over a year and I am now Certain I will have to open up the trans and rebearing the 5091 Transmission. The input shaft bearing was screaming after using my shredder for my last composting job, just before Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, I couldn't hear it starting to go while the machine was shredding. I hope I won't need a shaft. I remember seeing videos for transmission tear-downs and how "Best" to remove the bearings. Does anyone know where to

access those videos?

All the Best,

Danny

953 nut
1 hour ago, Gernzz8 said:

I remember seeing videos for transmission tear-downs and how "Best" to remove the bearings. Does anyone know where to

access those videos?

Not a video, but lots of good info.

Gernzz8

Thank You, Brother

Wish Me Luck.

• Like 1

953 nut

Any questions feel free to ask, @Racinbob and @stevasaurus are regulars on here and both are great with transmissions.

Gernzz8

Will do.

In Steve's post, I was able to find the videos that I remembered.

I'll keep you guys posted.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

We have a reference section/transmissions at this link...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/144-transmissions/

In there you will find all the videos and rebuild threads with pictures.  My 5060 thread will have videos that will be very close to your transmission.  I have not torn down a 5091 yet, but an 8 speed is an 8 speed is an 8 speed.  Please feel free to ask any questions.  :)