jeff lary

Need New Tire Chains

jeff lary

My 312-8 has had the same chains on it since 1995 year round , they are purty worn down. Two years ago I welded about 100 1/4 nuts to the cross links on each chain and now they are worn back to the original cross chain . I stopped by the wheel horse dealer today to get a new drive belt . I was blowing snow yesterday and it came off so I am sure it is going to happen again so I bought a new one. Bty this should be fun as I have the snow cab on the tractor now ...couldn't have happened this summer ya know.

Anyway I asked about a new set of chains they quoted me $140.00 I thought that was kind of high? So I am wondering if anyone can recommend a place to buy from either in Maine or over the web? I have seen some at Tire Chains.com and the ones I would by are the 2 link spacing " V " bar style for $71.75 per pair The ones I have now ate 4 link spacing " V " bar and have lasted very well. I have the page saved with the size 23x8.50x12 on it so that must be the size I will need ( I cannot imagine any other reason I have that page saved ? ) Course the thing about the web is the shipping but at 71 buck per set I could still pay 70 for shipping and still be equal to the dealer?

So if you have any good ideas let me know ,...don't need bad Ideas I have plenty of them myself. Thanks and Happy New Year Jeff

• Like 1

jeff lary

Thank you I will go look right now, Well I went and unless I am missing them they don't offer v bar chain so nothing there for me thanks though.

Edited by jeff lary

KC9KAS

@jeff lary the 2 link chains will give you a much smoother ride.

I would imagine most places charge more $$ for tire chains this time of year! Probably less expensive in the spring & summer.

bowtieguy

i buy tires chains at farm sales (no bidders when its a hot july day)...never pay more than ONE buck....send me a pm and I'll ship a pair to you FREE if you pay shipping fee!......how about that for a good deal...

email: frufenacht@att dot net

PS...Happy New 2016

Edited by bowtieguy
  • Like 7

WHX??

First time last Tuesday I blew snow with the new to me 520 and was quite obvious that I should get some chains although it wasn't the worst with out chains or weights. Question is will chains chew up the MIssus new very expensive blacktop driveway? I would love to get some v chains as that's what I have on the ATV and they bite awesome but fear they will.  I noticed in the new calendar @shallowwatersailor doesn't have chains on his dxi while blowing and wondered if maybe I should go with some ags and weight like he is running?  :thanks: for the links on where to buy and :text-imsorry: for the neck strain!!

20151229_172212[1].jpg

jeff lary

Well thanks for the advice everyone I just ordered a set an hour or so ago. I got the 2 link spacing heavy duty "V "bar chain from tire chains.com They look exactly like what I want lots of cross links and heavy duty " V "Bar design.

shallowwatersailor
19 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

First time last Tuesday I blew snow with the new to me 520 and was quite obvious that I should get some chains although it wasn't the worst with out chains or weights. Question is will chains chew up the MIssus new very expensive blacktop driveway? I would love to get some v chains as that's what I have on the ATV and they bite awesome but fear they will.  I noticed in the new calendar @shallowwatersailor doesn't have chains on his dxi while blowing and wondered if maybe I should go with some ags and weight like he is running?  

I commented before about the weighted ags that I used last year. The "operator" had to prove it to himself that it is not the best combination with the amount of torque the diesel has.  :hide:  This year I will be back to turfs and if need be, with rubber chains. The 523Dxi had the weighted ags installed when I bought it with the turfs on wheels included. The ags were fine on the level in the snow but slipped on any extended incline while using the snowthrower. 

• Like 2

chorusguy

OK. For the southerner.  I thought I knew enough about tire chains to want 2 link chains and now somebody has stirred the pot and added another facet to my ignorance.  What is a v bar chain.  What is the benefit? Or the difference in performance.  Is one better on ags than the other.  Understand that in my world tire chains are the stuff of mythology.  But if it ever snows here I would like some for pushing snow

Racinbob

Check out the link I posted. It has great shots of the different types. I'm not a fan of chains on ag tires. They work better on turfs. I always used 2 link with the V bar. :)

DennisThornton

:text-yeahthat:  Ditto on ags with chains.  Turfs do a better job of pressing the chains to the ground.  And since more metal is better the 2 links are MUCH better and the v bars are MUCH superior on ice!  I wouldn't even think of going through a winter without chains!

jeff lary

my tire are the original very shallow tread so closer to turf than ag and ,....oh yea cant even walk out side unless my chains have V bars ha ha. No V bars no life really it's all connected ya know.

cheesegrader

1-link chains would be a cross chain attached to every link of the circular chain that runs around the circumference of the rim.

2-link chains have a cross member on every other link, and 4-link chains have a cross member on every fourth link.

V-bar chains have v-shaped metal cleats welded to the cross members that act like studs.

Much better grip, but they will turn asphalt or even concrete into dust.

On asphalt, "rubber chains" with rubber cross members are much less likely to damage the driveway.

I use 2-link chains without the v-bar on a concrete drive, and it will leave a few scrape marks if I spin the tires, but not too bad.

I have the heavy 2-link v-bar chains from tirechain.com on my snowthrower at the cabin, on a gravel drive.

They are the best, most aggressive chains that I own, but they are a little bigger than advertised, and had to cut out about 8 links and a crossmember to get a tight fit.

I also use diamond pattern chains on the ags on my loader in the winter.  Ags on packed snow or ice without them are almost useless.  

My best set-up on ice/hardpack is 2-link v-bar chain on turfs on the rear, with tri-ribs on the front

• Like 5

pfrederi

Ags with out suitable chains are worthless on packed snow/Ice especially if you are trying to back up any grade at all. I have A DC3 Case with 300lbs weights on each wheel and a Farmall M with 750 lbs of beet juice in each wheel and neither one goes out in the winter with out duo link chains.

chains.JPG

• Like 1

DennisThornton

My TC-35 4WD with R4s on all four can get around in the snow but it really can't do much without rear chains.  As other have said, chains, snow and ice just go together!  If you are going to do any work in the snow or ice get chains.

• Like 1

chorusguy

Thanks for the education.  I'm assuming you buy them based upon tire size

jeff lary

Those chains in the photo are the exact ones I have on my Kubota I also jut put a set of v bars on the front tires this morning. As for " V " bars on Asphalt I have been running them on my own hot top yard summer and winter since 1995 I will promise you that I paid a lot for that yard, and  I worked in the paving business for 14 years , there is not even a scratch in my yard . If those chains mark up your frozen driveway you got cheap mix. Just my opinion your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

jeff lary

I just had the mail man drop off my chains , I ordered them on Friday afternoon / evening wow talk about fast. They came in a priority mail box and inside that they are in a cotton bag. I thought I would show you a picture of the chain. Tomorrow I will put them on the horse. Today I had to change out a drive belt lots of fun with the blower cab on the tractor. The first photo is a little blurry but you can get the idea ok I suspect. They are very heavy and seem as well built as any chain I have ever used. Time will tell I guess.

DSCF0059.JPG

DSCF0060.JPG

• Like 3

jeff lary

Well I installed them this morning and I took a few pictures as well. I thought I would show the Kubota the Polaris and the Wheel Horse. I guess everyone likes pictures. My son came over this morning and we took the ranger out back to set up a PVC Corn Feeder for the wildlife this winter. When we got back we took the old chains off the WH and put on the new. My goodness what a difference in the ride of the horse, the old chains were 4 link the new are 2 link and man aint she smooth. There was always a left right shake when you were moving now none of that just smooth and even very nice. I should have bought new years ago.

DSCF0061.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0063.JPG

DSCF0064.JPG

• Like 1

WHX??

They look mean on that horse Jeff. Going to go order a set right now blacktop be dammed. Will just have to be careful not to spin  too much and keep an eye out for damage. Did you get the medium or heavy duty ones?

Edited by WHX6
add

jeff lary

I bought the heavy duty, The chains at most will scratch the hot top if you spin that's life I guess but if the were damaging my driveway I would not use them. But if you get worried I guess you could set the little skids or skis on the blower deck to leave about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch  of snow that way your chains will be riding on snow . Then when the sun comes out after the storm the snow you left behind will quickly melt away. So yea pretty much order them then walk to the driveway and they should be almost there already !! The will come to you by Tuesday Wednesday at the latest where as today is Sunday and all. You will be very happy I am. I put my tractor up on the floor jack and let all the air I could get out of the tires. Then put them on as tight as I could get them then re-inflated to 10 psi.

• Like 1

WHX??

Good ideas Jeff thanks. That site has just about any chain you can imagine  and I didn't think the prices are the worst. Got some HI test ones for the side X side while I was at it.

I figure if they start to damage the asphalt I'll have look at something else and can always resell them. Thanks for the install tips. 

jeff lary

Good choice just remember on the side by side only chain up the rear. If it needs to spin and cannot that is where trouble begins. Chains can't imagine winter without them!!