midpack

anyone try studs in their front tires?

midpack

Thinking about trying studs to get better steering while using the snowblower attachment. Having a hydro does help because I can lift it slightly to get more pressure on the front wheels but I wouldn't complain if I had more turning ability. ..

what do you think? 

fireman

I have thought about this too in the past. I would think studs in the front would work great (of course just for the winter because they may damage a black top driveway) . I would try the following:

Dis-mount the front tires 

Drill small holes for like a number 10 screw in some type of pattern

Install a button head screw and flat washer from the inside

Use a flat washer, split lock and nut on the outside (use a screw that is just long enough to so you can get the nut on. would also recommend using Loc-tite)

Install a tube in each front tire (also will help with extra weight load of a snow blower)

Probably have to replace the hardware every year as it will get ground down pretty good depending on amount of use etc.

Come to think of it, I have a extra set of front tires. I may just do this to and use them in the winter time. Thanks for jogging my memory!

stevebo

Many members have had good luck installing a bike chain in the middle of the tires. Deflate them and install chain and then inflate. Kinda like turning on a rail.

• Like 4

tmix

# 40 chain down the center of the tire and reflate. On my d200 I use # 50 chain works like ice skates you turn it turns. $20.00 when all said an done

midpack

Found 10ft of #40 with 5 master links for under $20 on eBay.  I thought about getting the stainless chain but that was $60...

Maybe if it works I'll go that route when this stuff gets ruined

DennisThornton

I gotta try that chain around the front tires!  Pushing snow with my C81 and 48" blade ends up too often with the blade doing the steering!  I'm guessing front wheel weights would help.  Mayby even filling the front tires would help.

Would love to hear more success stories!

• Like 1

TDF5G

I got some front wheels weights this year just for the reason of steering while pushing snow on my B-100.  Only have tried it out once so for in 3-4 inches of wet 30 degree snow this season.  It seemed to work very well, I can certainly see an improvement in steering, after not running weights for 20+ years.  IMO I think the traction is better in wet snow anyway.  I need more experience I with 'em I reckon. 

That center chain on the front tires would probably work well on icy surface, but I haven't tried that.   I used to have an old piece of dog chain, but I think we sold it at a garage sale a few years ago.  Shoulda kept that I reckon!

Edited by TDF5G
  • Like 1

tmix

When I bought number 40# chain at the store 10 feet will do both wheels with a little left over.PS I tacked the master links just in case. And yes I melted down some lead in small bread pans and hooked it to the front end its 65#. Now looking back I should have poured the lead inside the rim then your NOT being hard on kingpin not the right word an axles. or grease every other time you plow like I do cuz that's a lot of weight on them things. This Is one thing you will never egret !! 

• Like 3

midpack

Ok, got the chain today and put it on the tires. I used 98 pins, went on tight and when the tire was inflated it looked like they would stay on. 

Can't wait to try it out! :-)

Then winter can go away. ..

wallfish

Swear by it ever since I used them the first time. You'll definitely notice the difference right away.