WNYPCRepair

Check this old tractor out.

RedRanger

Saw that tractor on an episode of one of the antique farm tractor TV shows about a year ago.

Owner said not many of this model were sold when new because the farmers of the time found it to be too luxurious.

They didn't want to look wimpy to their neighbor farmers.

• Like 5

WNYPCRepair

They made 150. 

Imagine 40 mph on a straight, unsprung axle. 

• Like 5

roadapples
1 hour ago, RedRanger said:

Saw that tractor on an episode of one of the antique farm tractor TV shows about a year ago.

Owner said not many of this model were sold when new because the farmers of the time found it to be too luxurious.

They didn't want to look wimpy to their neighbor farmers.

I saw that show also. And saw one up close in McConnellsburg, Pa. at the Grease, Steam, & Rust show this past October. Really cool tractor.

• Like 3

new2horses

On a somewhat related, but maybe not, note. It wasn't until 1955 that tractors out numbered horses on farms in this country.

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
41 minutes ago, new2horses said:

On a somewhat related, but maybe not, note. It wasn't until 1955 that tractors out numbered horses on farms in this country.

I can remember my Granddad and a neighbor using a horse when I was a little kid

• Like 2

stevebo

D&D Living History here in CT. has one. Saw it and thought it was one of the coolest ones in his collection.

• Like 4

953 nut
8 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

They made 150. 

Imagine 40 mph on a straight, unsprung axle. 

Ride comfort is one concern, but braking would be my biggest worry. With independent "Turning Brakes" on the rear wheels only it could be a bit scary trying to stop at 40 MPH.          :scared-yipes:                     :scared-eek:

• Like 3

DennisThornton
14 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Ride comfort is one concern, but braking would be my biggest worry. With independent "Turning Brakes" on the rear wheels only it could be a bit scary trying to stop at 40 MPH.          :scared-yipes:                     :scared-eek:

Can you imagine?!?

23 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I know they didn't sell well but I'm still surprised that it wasn't tried again

Buzz

Rick Allen of Allen's Auction in Vincentown NJ has one. He used to put on a show and ride it in the parade. It's worth BIG bucks to a collector.

• Like 1

Ken B
On 12/29/2015 at 8:26 AM, stevebo said:

D&D Living History here in CT. has one. Saw it and thought it was one of the coolest ones in his collection.

Steve, is that the one in one of the barn's in Kent? I think I recall seeing one there?:scratchead:

ACman

image.thumb.jpeg.1fd79d058c98091daf1b07dAllis Chalmers was the first tractor with air tires in 1932. If you got the tires , then you got a 4th gear , and some of those tractors could hit 40mph . In 1935 the famous race car diver Ab Jenkings set a record of nearly 68 mph on the salt flats . 

• Like 1

stevebo
11 hours ago, Ken B said:

Steve, is that the one in one of the barn's in Kent? I think I recall seeing one there?:scratchead:

May have been but I saw it at D&D

AMC RULES
13 hours ago, Ken B said:

:text-yeahthat:It shows up at the 6:33 mark, in this CAMA Kent Video.

• Like 1