slammer302

I've started working on the 633 this just going to be for fun and functionality i'm not worrying about every little dent and ding but i did take the hood down to bare metal. also have a giant hole in the console buy the shiftier i'm thinking about going with exspantion metal to match the hood picked up a can of OD green paint going to paint the hood with it and see if i like it if not i will go back red. Also picked up this sweet old air compressor thinking about painting it up red and white and slapping sum wheel horse stickers on it. 

IMG_20151227_242602943.jpg

IMG_20151227_242545754.jpg

IMG_20151227_150009233.jpg

IMG_20151226_201537052.jpg

• Like 6

953 nut

Sounds like you have a nice warm project planned for the winter.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

slammer302

I have the heat cranked up tonight!:occasion-snowman:

Cole J.

It got cold quick here in OH went from 70 to  60 in 45 mins Nice project looks like fun

slammer302

The rain hasn't stopped here in two days around 10" and now its supposed to get cold finally I'm glad i got the 633 inside and the compressor home while it wasn't to cold. I also got to put a few miles on the RJ and the new trailer Christmas day over at my brothers house giving my nieces and nephews rides. Didn't get much work done on the 633 but cleaned up the air compressor and changed the oil decided not to paint it. Works great and is big enough to run my air tools and is so quiet and pumps up fast.

IMG_20151227_221931364.jpg

• Like 3

Brian01

Glad to hear the RJ is getting used...see you finally found ya a compressor, the WH decal set it off!

Keep a paddle handy, freaking rain is unbelievable!

• Like 1

slammer302

Its always nice to have a few extra decals around. And yes on the paddle this has been the most rain i've seen in a long time 

WHX??

Is that some kind of electric clutch on the compressor slammer?? And a oil filter??

slammer302

Its just sum kind of heavy duty double pulley and the oil filter is actually a air filter that is made for old air compressors it says right on it that its a air filter I replaced it with a new one last night got lucky and had a brand new one on the shelf 

Brian01

Yeah be sure n keep that air filter clean, when it gets dirty, you'll know it...sound like crap "doggie". Won't pump like it should.

WHX??

I can't believe you had one "layin on the shelf"!!

• Like 1

slammer302
1 hour ago, WHX6 said:

I can't believe you had one "layin on the shelf"!!

It was pure luck! I found a case of them a couple years ago in the trash at work still wrapped up with plastic I only grabbed one wish I would of grabbed the whole thing now

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

That pulley reminds me of the pulley on AC compressors on cars. It looks like it was some type of clutch, but someone welded it together. I wonder if it is a compressor for an old commercial AC unit?  HVAC guys?

Wonder why the PO chopped the holes in it? 

Edited by WNYPCRepair

slammer302
3 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

That pulley reminds me of the pulley on AC compressors on cars. It looks like it was some type of clutch, but someone welded it together. I wonder if it is a compressor for an old commercial AC unit?  HVAC guys?

Wonder why the PO chopped the holes in it? 

I believe it is a homemade setup too if i had to guess its a compressor off a large truck or heavy equipment not sure though doesn't a name on it but my dad had a old air force bus that a air compressor on it for the air brakes that was similar 

• Like 3

slammer302

Back to the 633 didn't mean to make this a thread about my air compressor but i am glad to have it after being without for awhile. Painted the hood camo green used rustolem paint and primer and it didn't come out very well plus the paint can kept clogging up glad i only bought one because i'm not really liking the color very pale. I have decided to go back to traditional red i'm more in my comfort zone when it comes to drying times between coats and how to get a good finish out of it. I also drug out a old parts tractor i had its a 552 and it has a good shiftier console that doesn't have a giant hole in it and also has a good lift handle on it the original is bent pretty badly and does not function right must of been rolled over at some point. I don't have a good hood so this one will stay its kinda grown on me anyhow also scored the guard that covers up the parking brake on the left side off of ebay for a great deal. Will keep you guys posted on the progress        

IMG_20151229_241608473.jpg

IMG_20151229_241630719.jpg

• Like 3

WHX??

Sorry Slammer didn't mean to go off on a tangent about the compressor...don't know how a horse person can operate with out one (compressor) tho?? Think the pully is off an old....here I go again.....:text-imsorry:

I was wondering the same thing about the holes Repair......no logical reason for it, 'pecially the expanded metal on the hood. Since the better part of the WH is gone I would be tempted to cut the rest out and come up with a little redneck enngineering of my own. Maybe mount some headlights in there with the millitary style blackouts if you are gonna stay the Army thing. Maybe some cheap off the shelf battery lites since ther is no way to power them?? Just a thought... I don't think your camo green is the same color as @Hammerhead olive drab. Just doesn't look right in yer pics anyway.

If a guy was a a real pro with a paint gun (not me) a denim olive look would be would be cool on a war horse. Either way no crime if you back to red....

• Like 1

tbarnhart

Not to make this thread about that compressor, just to answer a cool trivia question. That is an old 70's-80's Chrysler RV2 ac compressor with the electric clutch welded together. Pretty good ac compressors, but I'm not sure how well they will hold up as a industrial air compressor. There are no fins for cooling. They were originally cooled by the cold refrigerant flow. They also tended to pump a bit of oil, as oil control is not important in a refrigerant loop (oil and refrigerant mixed together and pumped through the system). Keep a good check on oil level and don't run it too long at one time, or it could overheat. There used to be plenty of these in the auto junk yards, but they haven't been used in so long, they're getting hard to find used.

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair
20 minutes ago, tbarnhart said:

Not to make this thread about that compressor, just to answer a cool trivia question. That is an old 70's-80's Chrysler RV2 ac compressor with the electric clutch welded together. Pretty good ac compressors, but I'm not sure how well they will hold up as a industrial air compressor. There are no fins for cooling. They were originally cooled by the cold refrigerant flow. They also tended to pump a bit of oil, as oil control is not important in a refrigerant loop (oil and refrigerant mixed together and pumped through the system). Keep a good check on oil level and don't run it too long at one time, or it could overheat. There used to be plenty of these in the auto junk yards, but they haven't been used in so long, they're getting hard to find used.

I made a pretty good guess for a non mechanic! :) 

And I agree with WHX6, since most of the WH is gone, I would cut the rest out and do some kind of custom grill

• Like 1

gwest_ca
On 12/29/2015 at 2:12 AM, slammer302 said:

Back to the 633       

Would you mind posting the serial number so it can be added to the list?

Garry

slammer302
On 12/31/2015 at 5:44 AM, gwest_ca said:

Would you mind posting the serial number so it can be added to the list?

Garry

Heres the serial numbers from the tag that's on it don't know if its original or not 28649

I didn't see your guy's post about cutting the rest of the wheel horse lettering out of the before I proceed on with painting but I am happy with the way it came out. A little bondo work on the seam of the hood were it had been welded and you can't even tell unless you look under the hood. Sorry to get you guys all worked up about the army theme.

IMG_20160103_211219449.jpg

IMG_20160103_211318308.jpg

gwest_ca

Serial 28649 seems to fit the 633

Garry

• Like 1

WHX??
11 hours ago, slammer302 said:

Sorry to get you guys all worked up about the army theme.

Will let ya off the hook this time but don't let it happen again! :ychain:

• Like 1

953 nut
22 hours ago, slammer302 said:

Sorry to get you guys all worked up about the army theme.

Man, I was just reading through this and thinking how cool it would be to have a couple of toy machine guns mounted in the opening!  :ychain:

• Like 1

slammer302

Here's a up date on the 633 I was able to fix the dash tower up had to weld sum craks and straighten out sum bent areas in it patched the hole buy the shiftier with sum exspanchen metal so it will match the hood also was able to get the lift handle straightened out i'm pretty sure this horse has been rolled over at sum point  

IMG_20160214_103208252.jpg

• Like 5

Brian01

That sucker is red! That's for sure....lookin good.