whtractors24

HY-2 hydraulic help

whtractors24

I am looking into a machine with HY-2 kit . The return spring is currently broken . Is anyone remaking these or have any? 

Also it does seap from the right side I'm assuming either the o ring either on the shaft where the handle connects to or the pulley . I know the o rings are all discontinued any ideas on sizes ?

thanks for the help in advance. 

• Like 1

953 nut

The spring for the HY-2 is part #4837 and can be purchased from JC's Farm and Garden Supply (219) 229-4708. The "O" rings should all be standard industrial supply items available at NAPA or any good industrial supply house.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Norms toys used to have the spring too. 

post-3498-0-22300500-1333894046.jpg

post-3498-0-59905300-1353126350.jpg

post-3498-0-02828900-1346802370.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

Lane Ranger

Norm Steinman sold his business.  But you can contact and the new owner is suppyling some of the HY 2 spings.   They are remade to order but work sjust like original.

953Nut tells me this is the new name and owner's telephone number.   JC's Farm and Garden Supply. (219-299-4708)    Give John a call.

I sell the  Oil Seal for the 1/2  shaft that the drive pulley runs on.   It goes around the shaft under the pulley.   You can email me at  laneranger104@gmai.com if you are interested in an oil seal.

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 3

whtractors24
3 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Norm Steinman sold his business.  But you can contact and the new owner is suppyling some of the HY 2 spings.   They are remade to order but work sjust like original.

953Nut tells me this is the new name and owner's telephone number.   JC's Farm and Garden Supply. (219-299-4708)    Give John a call.

I sell the  Oil Seal for the 1/2  shaft that the drive pulley runs on.   It goes around the shaft under the pulley.   You can email me at  laneranger104@gmai.com if you are interested in an oil seal.

Great to know any idea on other seals ?

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Stevasaurus made a list of oil seals for the transmissions which is listed on Red Square.

stevasaurus

I don't think that is going to help here Lane...but here is a link to a HY-2 rebuild from a few years ago that does have the O-ring sizes if you want to read through this.  :)  There is a ton of information in this thread.  The O-Rings are standard sizes...it is the backer rings that may be tough to find.  Like Lane said...he has the input pulley seal.  I don't know if Indy is still selling parts or not (he became a vendor in the thread, but that was 6 years ago). 

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/12422-702-with-hydro-2/

• Like 2

Phil854

I found the O-rings and backer rings on Ebay all sold as a set for the cylinder they were for  a Bolens tractor but they use the same hydraulics pump and cylinder as  Wheel Horse

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151649994372?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT you get  3 big O-rings 1 small 0-ring and 2 backer rings for around 13.50

just rebuilt my pump and cylinder and they worked fine.

• Like 2

whtractors24
2 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

I don't think that is going to help here Lane...but here is a link to a HY-2 rebuild from a few years ago that does have the O-ring sizes if you want to read through this.  :)  There is a ton of information in this thread.  The O-Rings are standard sizes...it is the backer rings that may be tough to find.  Like Lane said...he has the input pulley seal.  I don't know if Indy is still selling parts or not (he became a vendor in the thread, but that was 6 years ago). 

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/12422-702-with-hydro-2/

Thanks Steve I have buzzed through this seems very very helpful.

so lane ranger has the oil deal for behind the shaft with the pulley . Now 6 years later what do I do about the rest of the o rings think a hydraulic shop? 

whtractors24

953 nut
10 minutes ago, whtractors24 said:

This looks like all I need correct ? 

I may be wrong but it seems like you could find all of that stuff at NAPA for about a quarter of the price. Just bring in the old parts and let them match them.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

The Cub Parts    whtractors24  posted are all needed for the  Hein Werner Hydraulic Pump used on several different tractor models.   The Cub Cadet guys have  had a better array of parts for sale for several years.  The big cannister seal is unavailable anywhere else.  The steel/rubber washer can be purchased  in Menards's or a good hardware store -I think it is convex in design to seal properly on the end of the hydraulic fluid cannister.    The price is really not bad for the kit and I was unaware anyone was selling the whole kit together.   That  metal ring that locks the pump pistion outside the cannister is also a difficult part to find new.   Thanks for posting this   whtractors24!

Edited by Lane Ranger

whtractors24
13 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

The Cub Parts    whtractors24  posted are all needed for the  Hein Werner Hydraulic Pump used on several different tractor models.   The Cub Cadet guys have  had a better array of parts for sale for several years.  The big cannister seal is unavailable anywhere else.  The steel/rubber washer can be purchased  in Menards's or a good hardware store -I think it is convex in design to seal properly on the end of the hydraulic fluid cannister.    The price is really not bad for the kit and I was unaware anyone was selling the whole kit together.   That  metal ring that locks the pump pistion outside the cannister is also a difficult part to find new.   Thanks for posting this   whtractors24!

I spoke with the guy in the above seal kit on ebay and he told me he has used these for wheel horse hy2 no issue.. hmm

• Like 1

whtractors24

So the spring because it's broken will that allow the handle to travel freely very far forward and back ?

953 nut

With a broken spring you will have to manually return the lift handle to the center position.

whtractors24

Ok so I got it all apart there is no pieces nor any spring at all hmm .... 

Well ill I got the spring and all the parts on the way my question is the roll pin that goes through the center does the n spring go under that then press the roll pin back through to hold it in place ? 

image_zpsuyztfldx.jpeg

image_zpss2momyb0.jpeg

• Like 1

whtractors24

well I grew confidence spoke with indy wh a.k.a (mitchell) last night on the phone he walked me right through it seems to be a cake walk well see once I get parts if it leaks :confusion-confused:

• Like 2

stevasaurus

If someone has not told you yet...the answer to your roll pin question is "yes"...the spring goes under the roll pin and then the pin goes back in place.  :)

• Like 3

whtractors24

you guys have been a big help thank you!

so far I have it torn it down realized the spring is no longer is there :no:

I have all the parts on the way and should be back together in no time !

I hope no leaks !

is 32oz of hydraulic fluid from dead empty sound correct >?

345_zpsx8ymsaaf.png

123.png

the new shaft seal is in!

ss_zps5hz2qcwn.png

Edited by whtractors24
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Vaseline is a good lubricant for seals and O-rings at assembly time. Helps the rubber slide into place reducing the chance of a nick or roll of the seal.

Garry

• Like 1

whtractors24
7 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Vaseline is a good lubricant for seals and O-rings at assembly time. Helps the rubber slide into place reducing the chance of a nick or roll of the seal.

Garry

Thank you I did use it :)

• Like 1