luke000

Hello from Mi

luke000

Hello all, and Merry Christmas! My name is Luke, I am 21 years old, going to school for Industrial Technology Management and welding.  I really enjoy restoring old items like boats, motorcycles, tools, etc.  That hobby brought me down to an estate auction a few weeks ago where I was buying a few pieces of machinery.  At the beginning of the auction one of the lots was an old wheel horse tractor with a plow and mower deck, it was pretty crusty, the motor was missing most of its parts and had thrown its rod.  I sort of kept my eye on it and once the bidding came up, not a soul bid on her and the auctioneer dropped the price down to $5 and I threw out the bid... to my surprise nobody else bid.  So I got it for a total of $5.98 after tax and the buyers premium!  I didn't have my trailer with me at the time, and as it turns out the tractor, plow, mower deck, an outboard motor, a moped, and a rockwell radial arm saw will all fit into the back of a Pontiac Aztek! 

I got the tractor home and I was going over it and figured out it was a 1965 655 model with a serial number of 107102  Overall it seems to be in good shape and a great candidate for a quick restoration this spring.  The transmission goes into each gear, the rear tires are good, fronts need to be replaced, needs a new motor, some paint and decals, and a few finishing touches and she should be good 2 go!  

PS I found a nice Snap On TM75 1/4 ratchet under the seat! 

Here is the tractor at the auction:
IMG_20151124_105410943_zpsdryrbhsk.jpg

Back at my shop getting ready for winter:
IMG_20151221_115643780%201024x768_zps0kd

IMG_20151221_115650929%20768x1024_zpsehy

• Like 8

AMC RULES

For $5.98...    :bow-blue:

I'd say you got a smokin' :wh: deal.  

:WRS:

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Good to see another Michigander!

Great tractor!

Your at the right place - great group of very smart folks who answer your questions very quickly...the resources these guys have are unbelievable!

Enjoy!

• Like 2

C-101plowerpower

:text-yeahthat:

you did very very very very very very very very very well there. also good to see more young people joining the hobby

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

You got a deal an a half on that. I 'll give you $6.00 and you keep the ratchet . HA HA 

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
can't spell
  • Like 2

TDF5G

You did real well for 5.98! 

Edited by TDF5G

roadapples

Good buy, and welcome to Red Square

KC9KAS

You better keep a low profile, as the cops are looking for a "horse thief"! :ychain:

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

You got a deal an a half on that. I 'll give you $6.00 and you keep the ratchet . HA HA 

I will give you 12 bucks - double your money - and I am right down the street so to speak...

:ychain:

• Like 1

JC 1965

Hello and    :WRS:

JPWH

:WRS: you need to buy a lotto ticket ! 

luke000

Thank you everyone!  I appreciate the offers to take this tractor off my hands ;) but I think this is one thing I am not going to flip, I want to get this one to the point where I can keep and use it for a while! :D

I do have one quick question engine related (let me know if I should post it somewhere else) But Since I dont need to do a %100 original restoration I am going to drop a brand new engine straight in and the one I was planning on was the 301cc, 8HP predator engine from HF, It would cost me about $250 now (since they no longer take %20 off coupons on their engines :() But seeing that the original engine was a 6HP Tecumseh, should I just go with the $106 212cc 6.5HP?  I plan to use the tractor for mowing and some plowing and I don't want to be under powered..

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I go by " The Tim The Toolman " quote  " More Power" . But get advise  from the more senior members about running into installation problems that may happen with a larger motor. How about $6.25 for the tractor.

• Like 4

953 nut
12 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

" More Power"

:WRS:  You pulled off the buy of the year, darn near free!  I think in the long run you will be glad you went with the larger engine, the drive train on the 655 is the same as the 10 HP :wh: so have no fear. Since you aren't in a big hurrey you can keep an ete out for H.F. sidewalk sales, I have seen their enjines at half price on sale from time to time. :text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

luke000
3 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:  You pulled off the buy of the year, darn near free!  I think in the long run you will be glad you went with the larger engine, the drive train on the 655 is the same as the 10 HP :wh: so have no fear. Since you aren't in a big hurrey you can keep an ete out for H.F. sidewalk sales, I have seen their enjines at half price on sale from time to time. :text-welcomeconfetti:

Sounds like I am going to need to keep up on their sidewalk sales!  I am a little disappointing, up until recently you could use the 20 and 25 off coupons on the engines (even though the fine print said you could not) but they must have fixed it in their system because I went in two days ago and could not, same for online.    They also offer coupons for the the 212CC and 420CC engines but not the 301CC.  I wonder why? 

Edited by luke000
  • Like 1

Sparky

Mike.........

Terry M

Welcome!!

Digger 66

Good to have 'ya aboard , Luke !

can whlvr