kingnothing71us

Making Wider Rear Rims

kingnothing71us

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Every One!

I'm a welder/fabricator by trade and have access to the fab shop I work in any time I need it. I was thinking about getting an extra set of rear rims and making them 10" wide. I know there are ag tires that are sold in the 10.5" width that fit our machines but the rims are a little on the thin side. 

My question is this, do you gentlemen think there would be interest in the wider rims if I was to go through the trouble of making the jigs and searching for extra rims to make them wider? I of course am a certified welder, take pride in my work, and guarantee everything I make. 

I'd appreciate any feed back. Thanks. 

• Like 7

Martin

I've seen them widened by joining rims together, also by cutting rims down the middle and adding metal in between the halves to get the required width, and by what i consider to be the 'correct' way, getting a rim blank at the correct width and welding the center in that has been cut out of another wheel to get the correct offset. The last method i have done on several occasions and i find its the best looking result of the three for me. It costs more in purchasing the rim blank but saves time and welding wire/gas etc. depends on whether you consider your time more valuable than cash or not. Me, i try and make things easy on myself and want to be 100% happy with the result. You could also find a wheel already the correct width that maybe doesn't have the right center and use the rim section out of it.

Each to his or her own and while all methods would probably give the required result, some look better than others.

I could be wrong, but i would think that there would be more demand for your work (and less work for you) if you were to provide a service where you made wheels up by welding new wide rim blanks into WH centers to suit whatever model or tastes the member wanted. Not sure how many members would require wider wheels though, its not really something that everyone does, more of a one here and there thing. There might be interest in making up the wider 12 x 8.5 wheels, these seem to be a popular size that only a few models had. Once again not everyone adds wider wheels, but i see more of the 12 x 8.5s added than anything else........

• Like 1

roadapples

Realizing you can`t work for nothing, it would depend on price. Maybe supplying our own rims would help. I think some would sell at the big show since there would be no shipping charges. Figure up a price and throw it out here and see what happens.

• Like 6

JC 1965

:text-yeahthat:   I agree.  

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yeah, I might be in for a pair Mike.  I agree the Big Show delivery to save shipping is where you could probably make some sales.   Maybe set up a wheel exchange deal at the Show so you had wheels to work with.

BTW, how's the sore hand coming...I know you have been back to work for awhile.

• Like 3

kingnothing71us

The hand is healing quite well, Ed. Thanks for asking.  I go on Jan. 11th to set a date for surgery to have my finger removed at the second knuckle. I'm not really trying to make big bucks off of making wider rims, I was just wondering if any one thought there would be an interest in them. I'll have to start looking for a set of rims for cheap so I can try it out. I'll start a thread when I do with step by step photos. When I get a set done you'll be the first to know Ed. Thanks. 

• Like 4

roadapples

Didn`t know about the hand. Good luck and keep us posted on that too.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Our local welding shop used to cut agriculture tractor rims and add as much as 6" to 10" to the width of the rims for wider tires. It worked very well, as it was much cheaper than buying wider rims for the wider tires.

As another member said...Maybe have a set of rims as a "core charge" so you have a supply of rims, and we (the buyer) can lower our (final) cost of wider wheels.

• Like 1

857 horse

Mr Mike.......For heath sake....I and We hope,,,your up to it and feeling better...

your intrest in wider rims caught my ear...eye...both !!!!

I have an old 401 with 10 inch wide rims...running a 23x10.50x12.....i will post a pic....

How ever,,,i have 2  857's running 24x12x12 tires in the rear....one set of rims are 12"wide,,,the other set is 13" wide.....

nothing rubs....fits under the tractors...however when i am at the BIG SHOW,,,people crawl under the tractor to see what i have cut on the tractor to make the tires fit.....  they just fit....and i found the rims,,from people that did pulling.....Merry Christmas...

p.s.     i know i didnt help a bit with your inqerie,,,,,i just like to talk..  llloolool

horse,,,,,garden hose 004.JPG

• Like 4

857 horse

p.m. sent.!!!

kingnothing71us

Thanks apples & 857. 857, You did alot by posting that pic with the info because I was wondering about rubbing issues. Then again, I plan on cutting the rim in front of the center so the wider part will go towards the outside. 

• Like 1

roadapples

I`m not sure about all of them, but I think most wheel horse wheels only have 1 1/4 in. back spacing. Feel free to correct me if I`m wrong. It happened once before. LOL

• Like 2

baerpath

I could use some 12 wide with 5 (inside) x 7 offset to run 26x12's on

Tankman

Xtreme sells wide rims for our Cubs too.

http://xtrememotorworks.com/Parts%20Catalog/Rims%20and%20Tires%20Pages/Cub%20Cadet%20Parts%2010x12.htm

As AMC posted, Miller tire also supplies wider rims. Both vendors are excellent to deal with too.

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 3

mrc

you can also buy from miller tire the "center blank" for the  12 inch wheels.  then just weld them in with whatever backspacing you like.  regards mike in mass.

• Like 1

98layinframe

How much are we talking for this? I'm debating on either just buying a set of miller blanks, or making an even wider set of 12" wheels.

rick

I am interested in a set of wider wheels, I have spare rear wheels to use/swap.

• Like 1

diamondred
On 12/20/2015 at 0:00 PM, kingnothing71us said:

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year Every One!

I'm a welder/fabricator by trade and have access to the fab shop I work in any time I need it. I was thinking about getting an extra set of rear rims and making them 10" wide. I know there are ag tires that are sold in the 10.5" width that fit our machines but the rims are a little on the thin side. 

My question is this, do you gentlemen think there would be interest in the wider rims if I was to go through the trouble of making the jigs and searching for extra rims to make them wider? I of course am a certified welder, take pride in my work, and guarantee everything I make. 

I'd appreciate any feed back. Thanks. 

Not to rain on your parade, but Miller Tire offers unpainted rim blanks, and inserts so they can be welded in at whatever spacing you want.

Guess I should have read the entire posting before I wrote this....duh.

Edited by diamondred
Fix stupid.

kingnothing71us

Thanks everyone for your input on my post. I hope every one is going to have a great Christmas. Just to keep every body up to date, I found a pair of rims for a good price for me to "experiment" with. I pick them up on Thursday so I'll try to start making my photo journal starting on Monday, Dec. 28th. I sure hope all goes well with this so I can help out you guys that are interested  and maybe make a few bucks. Although, I will say this now, I will be charging an exchange. Well guys, until I post again......Have a good night. 

• Like 4

neil

If I remember rightly Stigian did a video on widening WheelHorse wheels , not sure you can find the vid on his YouTube channel 

kingnothing71us

Thanks neil, I'll try to look it up. I hope everyone had a great Christmas. I picked up the rims but, they have tires on them. The rims are the 8" wide rims, the tires are 23/10.5x12 Carlisle Turf Saver's. The tires are in great shape except one has a plug in it. The one with the plug actually holds air, the other is flat. The tread is great on the tires so I think I'll hang on to them for future use. 

How can I get the tires off the rims without destroying them? I really only need to break the beads, I know how to take the tires off and I have the tire irons to do it. I don't have a bead breaker and would rather not take them to a shop. Maybe a big C-clamp? Any ideas will be appreciated. 

These are the wheels. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ed Kennell

Hey Mike,  lay a 3-4' long 2X6 on the tire with the end close to the wheel.   Pull your car up on it and maybe it'll pop loose.

Also can use a hyd jack under the trailer hitch to push it down.  I have also laid  them on the plow frame with the blade flipped down, and with a short 2X4 wedged between the bead and the frame, used the 4 wheeler winch to pull the plow frame up and break the bead.

Keep your fingers clear.....you don't need another hand injury.:angry-nono:

• Like 2

diamondred

... Or an old style bumper jack.

• Like 2

JAinVA

Might sound nuts but I use my wood splitter to break the beads on mounted tires.Heavy block of wood on the wedge and the push block close to the rim.If you are careful it works like a charm.Luck,JAinVA

• Like 5