RedRider

Wiki:"500" Special

What a great write up. :greetings-clappingyellow: I am currently in the process of restoring a 500 Special and would like to add a couple things. The 5465 hood with the 7 slots and narrow decal is actually a 1967 hood (607, 657, etc.). The best way possible to determine what was original at this time is by the original parts manuals. That would be the 7231 hood with the 6 slots and the plastic escutcheon plate. It's very likely and even probable that some 67 hoods were used up early on in the production. As cool as it is, the 500 Special was really a 'low' end model with the aluminum block motor and recoil start. The steering wheel was a 4983 which is actually the one in the lower picture was also used on 67's and other years. I've seen quite a few with the wheel that has the bend in the spokes and my guess would be the supplier. The holes in the fenders for the lights is odd only in the fact that the 500 Special couldn't run lights with no charging system. The original muffler was the 7628 but I would imagine was often changed out to get the exhaust away from the hood better. Many tractors back in those days were modified to suit the buyer or some other reason before they left the dealer thus giving way to the belief that something was 'factory original' when in reality it was installed or swapped after the tractor left the factory. This would lead to electric start motors, headlights, etc. Because this was such common practice I say no harm, no foul as to the originality.

That being said, my 500 Special will actually be the joining of a 657 and a 500 Special. I would say that at least 95% of the parts are identical on the two models and due to their condition it will take both of them to build one good machine. I'll be using a 67 hood with the 7 slots and narrower headlight decal. Terrys decals include both styles of the hoodstand decals, with the 6 and without. I've got a Tecky H60 that I'll use but I'll probably go without the 6 since I'd like to find a K161 or K181 for it in the future. I will also have a restored ID plate on it with the correct model and serial numbers. It will definitely be a tractor that someone could make someone think certain things were original but, as was so very common, it won't be truly factory.

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 4

I've learned a lot from this posting. I'm new too wheel horse. I picked up my first 1. 3 days ago. It was going to the  junkyard. She's  really rough but there's just something about her. I could not let her die. 

IMG_20160527_101525.jpg

IMG_20160527_101539.jpg

• Like 3

:WRS: That looks like a good project there, keep it as is or restore it to original, up to you. Apparently the previous owner wanted a low rider. You have probably already noticed that the rear wheels and tires were swapped out for smaller ones and the front spinals were reversed. What ever you decide to do, enjoy it.

• Like 2

It looks like they flipped the front axle, spindles and all, upside down. A super low rider. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 2

Im going to bring it back to  normal Height. It looks cool lower. But I will use it for pulling a little Garden trailer. I just don't know what motor to put in that will fit. The  Briggs & Stratton they put on the  Hood won't close. Thank u for the welcome.

Edited by red 500 special
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2015 at 5:28 AM, RedRider said:

Tecumseh engine model number used on the "500" Special models is H60-75118H.

You could also use any Kohler from six to twelve horse power and lots of folks are going to the Harbor Freight "Predator" engines as a more affordable choice. Lots of threads on here about installing them.

• Like 2