DougC

Some 1988 520H Questions

DougC

I've been looking for a picture of the park brake release lever/knob and can't find any. My release is just a short stubby metal lever with no knob on it. I ordered a transmission disengagement lever knob set from Glen but don't know what I need for the park lever.

I downloaded the 1988 520H manuals and can't see a clear picture of the lever.

Also the manual shows it takes a RS14YC spark plugs gapped at .025/.64  Other posts I've read state the 20hp Onan uses RS17YX. ????

Grease zerks show 7 for 520H and 11 for 520HC. I can only find 5 on my front end and none at all for any other part of the steering components bu then again I wear tri-focal glasses and am no spring chicken any more. My Toro dealer can't give me any answers to these questions, but I bet you guys can.    :)

mikekot3

On my WH tractor the grease fittings are as follows:  Top of the front axle left and right. and in the center area behind the mule drive.  One each at bottom of steering knuckle near front rims.

One grease fitting near the pivots of the pedals. Turn the steering the wheel to the right I believe and there is a grease fitting base of the steering column. One grease fitting on each mower deck spindle and one each on the wheels on each side of the deck near the rear wheels. I also apply grease in all the mower deck pivots when I remove the bolts and lube them and replace the thick washers as needed. I also lube the attach a matic areas.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

My '88 520H has 7 zerks that I am aware of.... 1 inside each front wheel, 1 on each spindle, 1 on the axle pivot, 1 on the brake pedal, and 1 on the steering block.

The knob is just a plastic sleeve that slips over the lever.

• Like 2

DougC
6 minutes ago, ekennell said:

and 1 on the steering block.

The knob is just a plastic sleeve that slips over the lever.

Is the zerk on the steering block accessed from under tractor or is cover/panel removal required?

Also would the plastic sleeve be of any use or just cosmetic?

dcrage
10 minutes ago, DougC said:

Is the zerk on the steering block accessed from under tractor or is cover/panel removal required?

On my 310-8 you reach in behind the engine from the left side will the wheels are turned all the way to the right(?) -- Definitely not from under the engine -- I don't remember if I have lifted the hood or not to do this -- If you haven't found this zerk before you will need to reach in and feel for it (and probably clean the area of grease and dirt, etc.)

• Like 1

cheesegrader

the RS17YX is a hotter plug that was recommended in an update in the 90's

It is what I currently use in all of my 520's.

Zerks that you might not see on first pass:

Both front wheel hubs have zerks under the hub caps.

The center pivot point on the axle--zerk is in dead center of the axle, bottom.  Frequently broken off by clumsy jack placement.

Parking brake pivot 

rear end of steering fan gear rod.  Again, dead center bottom of the half-round clamp that bolts the steering rod to the tractor.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

The parking brake sleeve /cap is cosmetic.

• Like 1

daveoman1966

This is the motion control schematic.  The knob for the parking brake is # 21.

520H-88.JPG

• Like 2

J Wilson

I have a 48 inch snow/dozer blade that fits the 520 H for sale. its got all the parts to install plus wheel weights and chains. Asking $200.00.

Lakeview, Ark.  870-431-5887