Smemsic

oil leak

Smemsic

need help, have a k301 12 hp Koehler  and is leaking oil onto points from push rod. motor was rebuilt last year but ran fine till end of season. I did replace the push rod for points but is still leaking

WH nut

Check your breather to make sure it isn't plugged up

• Like 8

Ed Kennell

:text-yeahthat:

Make notes and take pictures when you take the breather apart so you get it back together properly.

• Like 6

Smemsic

wow just found this on line, never knew there was a seal for this

Points Pushrod O-Ring and Diaphragm Seal. For Kohler engines with a 3/16" diameter points pushrod. Fits Kohler engine models K90/K91, K141, K161/K160, K181, K241, K301, K321, K330/K331, K341, K361, K482, K532 and K582. Prevents crankcase oil from contaminating ignition points. O-ring installs on points pushrod, and seal slides over pushrod, and diaphragm is held in place by points bracket. Seal made of clear, silicone rubber. IMPORTANT: Before installing seal, apply clean motor oil or automotive grease inside seal lip or on points pushrod for lubrication and to prevent premature wear of the seal. Return to previous page or paragraph.

• (Choose to use one or the other below, no need to use both.)
  • Neoprene Rubber O-Ring. .50¢ each, plus shipping & handling.
  • Diaphragm Seal. OEM Kohler part # OEM Kohler part # 220074-S. $5.20 each, plus shipping & handling.
  • Like 3

953 nut
1 hour ago, Smemsic said:

Points Pushrod O-Ring and Diaphragm Seal. For Kohler engines with a 3/16" diameter points pushrod

:WRS:             That is some good information, thanks for sharing.             :text-goodpost:

Howie

Point push rod hole in block could be worn allowing oil to get past it. I think like was stated above I would just double check to make sure breather is not

obstructed in any way. I have seen some with a lot of blowby that did not push oil out past the push rod.

David

• Like 1

tunahead72
On 12/17/2015 at 11:17 AM, Smemsic said:

wow just found this on line, never knew there was a seal for this

Points Pushrod O-Ring and Diaphragm Seal. For Kohler engines with a 3/16" diameter points pushrod. Fits Kohler engine models K90/K91, K141, K161/K160, K181, K241, K301, K321, K330/K331, K341, K361, K482, K532 and K582. Prevents crankcase oil from contaminating ignition points. O-ring installs on points pushrod, and seal slides over pushrod, and diaphragm is held in place by points bracket. Seal made of clear, silicone rubber. IMPORTANT: Before installing seal, apply clean motor oil or automotive grease inside seal lip or on points pushrod for lubrication and to prevent premature wear of the seal. Return to previous page or paragraph.

• (Choose to use one or the other below, no need to use both.)
  • Neoprene Rubber O-Ring. .50¢ each, plus shipping & handling.
  • Diaphragm Seal. OEM Kohler part # OEM Kohler part # 220074-S. $5.20 each, plus shipping & handling.

I just want to update this thread, in case anyone is looking for the diaphragm seal #220074S that Smemsic mentioned here...  According to the information that's currently on Brian Miller's web site, and backed up by my own search everywhere I can think of, that seal is no longer available.  I suppose you could get lucky and find one at a Toro or Kohler dealer, or maybe on eBay, but it seems unlikely.

You can always use a standard 3/16" i.d. o-ring for the points rod, which is what I did recently on one of my tractors.  I don't know for sure that it's doing anything because I haven't needed to take the points cover off since then, but it can't be doing any harm.

@Smemsic  Did you ever get your oil leak resolved on this engine?