formariz

gas tank cleaning

formariz

Here is how I clean my tanks, through electrolysis. I first do the interior and then submerge the whole tank and do the exterior. It only takes about a couple of days depending on how rusty it is. Once cleaning is complete, as soon as it is removed from water it is dried off with a heat gun. I then keep a small amount of diesel fuel inside to keep it from rusting until it starts being used.

Cas

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-61-1228195300.jpg

rwilson

Thats a verry good idea. I have some rusty old arctic cat tanks that need a good cleanin!! thanks for the tip.

COMB2

Ok I see a rod going into a tank with a battery clap on it. Give me the low down on how this works! My buddy has a 25-30 gallon rusted tank on a big tractor, will this work for that? :hide:

formariz

Check this site:http://users.eastlink.ca/~pspencer/nsaeta/electrolysis.html

You can clean anything as long as you have a large enough tub to immerse object being cleaned in. In the case of the tank interior it is actually easier since the inside of fuel tank will be such container. The rod you see going into the tank is the anode and it is actually bent inside the tank to provide as much anode as possible. One connects the negative lead from a battery charger to the anode and the positive to the area being cleaned. The rod cannot touch the tank or it will short. Thus the rubber stopper to isolate it from the tank. To put it in a very simple way the rust or anything in the tank such as paint, gummed up deposits, etc will be dislodged and it will adhere to the anode in this case the rod.

I actually clean everything this way, wheels ,hoods and whatever fits in the tub. just plug it in and leave it as long as necessary. I am now doing an RJ 59 this way.

Check site mentioned above for detailed information.

This is the first couple of times that I post and I am having difficulty with photos. As I figure out how to, I will post better and more photos.

• Like 1

COMB2

Didn't read the link yet but you explained it well :D

formariz

For the ones that do not have access to a sand blaster it is the next best thing with actually less effort. It works on it while you are away.Just that sometimes like with the gas tanks you have to be a little creative with the anode. Just start with something small to get the hang of it.

Cas

stevasaurus

it is important to know that the above post is not correct...the anode (or re-bar)

receives the positive (red) lead, and the part to clean (cathode) receives the negative (black) lead. The way stated in the post above will clean the re-bar :whistle:

google: rust removal electrolysis :whistle:

hooked it up backwards, thinking that didn't sound right, and didn't have good results...did some more research. :thumbs:

formariz

OOPS.Sorry about that. never noticed I typed it incorrectly.

Cas

rjg854

Muratic acid works well for cleaning rust out of the inside of a gas tank also. Fill the tank and let it sit for 24 hours, repeat if necessary, then rinse well with water, blow it out to dry, and then coat with oil to prevent it from rusting until ready to use it as a gas tank again.

DennisThornton

Lots of ways, some mentioned but I'll add a couple more.  Soap, sand and water, more water than sand.  Cap the tank, strap the tank to a tire (tire chains will help) and drive around for a while.  Check it until nice and clean!

Plain old vinegar will remove rust pretty darned well, but take longer than the hydrochloric acid, but safer and more environmentally friendly (though I have nothing against HCl2 used wisely!)  I'm sure one could use sand and vinegar and some means of agitating as well.

I would suggest taking that process further by at least using metal-prep afterwards and you might as well go another step more and coat that now nice, clean, rust-free tank with something made for that purpose.  I believe POR has something but there are others as well.  If you just clean it good it will rust again very quickly!  Especially the top where there is no gas and some occasional condensation.

• Like 1

Hoozey

are rust remover soak products not recommended?

857 horse

And I thought Acitone was the hot ticket......

Glad I read this,,,,,,Happier I'm a member here !!!!!!!