WNYPCRepair

It's kind of a horse

shallowwatersailor

I never realized that NH had it as an option on the GT22. The 523Dxi, 522xi, and 529Lxi steering is actually a hydraulic-style steering as opposed to power steering. There isn't a direct connection from the wheel to the tires. The steering wheel is activating a valve. An easy way to check if it has the option is to see if the wheel spins with the engine off.

I have found that TractorData is not very accurate sometimes. For instance, the weight shown is low by about 200 lbs.

• Like 2

WHX??

Or look up underneath  her skirt and see if the hardware is correct  (pun intended knowing yall's gutter minds) but like Glenn's pic shows everything it kind of buried  in there (pun not intended). Did go by the bone  yard today Brian  but the Goober wasn't around.... I'm still thinking it would be a project to  convert but if the parts $$ is right? Let us know what it looked  like with all the grease  off. It does seem bizarre that it (PS) would have been offered as an option instead of standard  on NH's.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

It is definitely manual. The steering shaft connects directly to a plate, when that plate turns, it pushes or pulls on the tie rods, which moves the wheels. Steering wheel does not spin like my 522xi does with the engine off. And there is no power steering cylinder. 

If the $$ is right for the parts, it is definitely worth it. It's a bear to steer with the blower on. 

1 hour ago, shallowwatersailor said:

I never realized that NH had it as an option on the GT22. The 523Dxi, 522xi, and 529Lxi steering is actually a hydraulic-style steering as opposed to power steering. There isn't a direct connection from the wheel to the tires. The steering wheel is activating a valve. An easy way to check if it has the option is to see if the wheel spins with the engine off.

I have found that TractorData is not very accurate sometimes. For instance, the weight shown is low by about 200 lbs.

Funny you mentioned the weight. One of the seller's friends thought he was going to lift the front end and move it over on the trailer to make room for the deck. 

I said, this will be interesting.....

Edited by WNYPCRepair

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Brian, when I read the "lifting the front end comment" my nuts dropped to the deck at the same time I started laughing. Good one, I needed that.

What was that guy thinking? Lol

Glenn

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
21 minutes ago, JERSEYHAWG / Glenn said:

Brian, when I read the "lifting the front end comment" my nuts dropped to the deck at the same time I started laughing. Good one, I needed that.

What was that guy thinking? Lol

Glenn

I think he thought it was like one of those big box riding mowers.    I literally said, out loud, this will be interesting. After he gave up, I told him it weighed over 1,000 lbs.   :) 

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

After looking on the internet for information on the New Holland GT-Series, the majority of used machines appear in the Midwest. I have always thought that the 5xi-Series were rather Regional in sales. With NH dealers being stronger in certain areas, it would be logical that the NH GT sales would be the same. 

I also think that with the PS being an option on the GT, it was more what the dealer ordered as opposed to the implication that it could be retrofitted by the dealer. I'm sure that it could be done but I have found my two without power steering to be certainly acceptable. Now with a two-stage blower on the front end - that might be a different story! Make sure that the tire pressures are 20 psi, not the usual 12 psi. Also if it were me, I would put the two-stage on your 522xi.

Oh -  and get some of this:  5671597bd5907_ToroRedpaint.jpg.aeea4f43f   :ychain:

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

After looking on the internet for information on the New Holland GT-Series, the majority of used machines appear in the Midwest. I have always thought that the 5xi-Series were rather Regional in sales. With NH dealers being stronger in certain areas, it would be logical that the NH GT sales would be the same. 

I also think that with the PS being an option on the GT, it was more what the dealer ordered as opposed to the implication that it could be retrofitted by the dealer. I'm sure that it could be done but I have found my two without power steering to be certainly acceptable. Now with a two-stage blower on the front end - that might be a different story! Make sure that the tire pressures are 20 psi, not the usual 12 psi. Also if it were me, I would put the two-stage on your 522xi.

Oh -  and get some of this:  5671597bd5907_ToroRedpaint.jpg.aeea4f43f   :ychain:

Two good pieces of advice. :)

slammer302

I've searched CL almost everday here in MO and very seldom does a XI come up for sale the one i bought was just buy luck it wasn't even listed under  wheel horse its was just listed as a riding lawn mower I only know of one other 520xi for sale locally.

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the non power steering models have sum type of gear reduction steering that may help with that big blower. Great find and i kinda like the front grill on the blue ones better than the red ones the plastic is all busted up on mine from being pulled off and on to change the battery 

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
2 hours ago, slammer302 said:

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't the non power steering models have sum type of gear reduction steering that may help with that big blower. Great find and i kinda like the front grill on the blue ones better than the red ones the plastic is all busted up on mine from being pulled off and on to change the battery 

The steering seems to be similar to steering reduction by changing the ratio as it gets towards the end of travel. The NH GT22 grille lists for $85.07, and the price for the valve for the steering wheel is called a"Control Unit." Sit down for this - $1,070.60!!!

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
2 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

The steering seems to be similar to steering reduction by changing the ratio as it gets towards the end of travel. The NH GT22 grille lists for $85.07, and the price for the valve for the steering wheel is called a"Control Unit." Sit down for this - $1,070.60!!!

I can do a lot of steering to save $1,000!

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor
6 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I can do a lot of steering to save $1,000!

I hear you! I started with the two manual steering 5xi and then got the diesel with PS. They are easier to steer than a Classic.  After I got my third 5xi, I started looking for a parts tractor. The problem is that it turns out that I really only need two. The reason is that I still have the C-Series and 300/400 tractors. A Kohler K comes in handy sometimes just to plow a light snow (quicker than shoveling), pull a cart, etc..

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1

DennisThornton
On 12/16/2015 at 4:12 PM, shallowwatersailor said:

I hear you! I started with the two manual steering 5xi and then got the diesel with PS. They are easier to steer than a Classic.  After I got my third 5xi, I started looking for a parts tractor. The problem is that it turns out that I really only need two. The reason is that I still have the C-Series and 300/400 tractors. A Kohler K comes in handy sometimes just to plow a light snow (quicker than shoveling), pull a cart, etc..

I got two tandem loads of gravel today and did the lions share with the TC-35 & FEL but then I worked my C-85 with manual blade fine tuning for a few hours and I just loved it!  Manual control pushes it's little heart out!  What a machine!  Then I hopped on my XI, mostly to just get it out of the way, then I drove it up and down the driveway, back an forth and around and around!  Man!  Love that power steering and the nice ride.  Rides so much nicer than my C-85!  Love my older ones but I'm in love with these XIs, too!

WNYPCRepair

I pulled the tunnel access plate just to see how dirty it was underneath. It was so rusted that the decal on top just pulled right off, and the paint underneath came off in sheets. I got off all the rust I could with a wire wheel, then a flap disk, then a few coats of naval jelly, then primed and painted (red) to keep it from rusting any further, hopefully. In spring, the body panels are all coming off and getting stripped and painted. 

The previous owner should be shot for letting this beautiful machine sit outside and rust away. The entire tractor was covered in grease and dirt, and the piece of U channel under the snow blower pulleys had 1/2" of grease, at least, no exaggeration. I scraped it off with a putty knife, then pressure washed it everywhere I could reach. 

Not to mention the lack of maintenance. Changed the oil and filter, air filter, and plugs. The headlights were so corroded they wouldn't come on, cleaned the terminals and put in some LED lights. I think it may have a leaking rear axle seal, not sure. Waiting to see if it drips in the garage. Ordered new bearing for the snow blower pulley, and new bearings for the auger, though they look more like bushings than bearings to me, but the parts list calls them bearings. The blower is covered in rust too. 

I also put my new drill press together and bolted it to the bench, bolted my bench grinder and vice to the bench, and cleaned up a bit. 

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
On December 14, 2015 at 10:29 AM, WHX6 said:

No problem Repair... if @JERSEYHAWG / Glenn could put up some pics of his as to what I should be lookin for that would help so I can PI the steering gear. Or I would just try and snag the whole tractor if the $$ is right and parts out/give the rest to other members if possible. When I saw it there I thought this is a late model deluxe WH and why would someone leave it there to rot? It had to be an XI of some sort as it had all the stuff on the dash with an adjustable steering wheel. Body work was trashed tho.   This is a true country bone yard with a guy named Goober running the show... had 100's of tractors but nothin I was lookin for ..older WH's & round hoods....

@WHX6  If this is definitely an XI, see what he wants for the whole thing, I could use some body parts too. If he is reasonable, maybe I'll buy it, have you pull off what I need, and you can sell the rest. Nice engine if it is in good shape, and the Eaton in these models is awesome, the hi-lo is great. Best of both worlds

WHX??

Will do Repair..... don't get yer hopes up on the body parts...if I remember right it looked like somebody rolled it down a hill  and body and sterring wheel were trashed. Will look at it soon.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
4 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

Will do Repair..... don't get yer hopes up on the body parts...if I remember right it looked like somebody rolled it down a hill  and body and sterring wheel were trashed. Will look at it soon.

LOL, thanks. I appreciate your efforts.  

WHX??

@WNYPCRepair Bad news Brian, turns out that tractor I thought might have been a 522xi was a 518 without the power steering, Body work was mostly gone and what was there was junk. Goober saw me nosing around the yard so just for $hit$ & grins I asked him what he wanted for the carcass & he says 500 & I says goodby.  The guy also had a '68 Raider 12  that would have made a nice project tractor and a tall chute blower that would have made for a nice conversion on my short chute cable turn. Also had a boatload of 60" toro decks which would have went sweet on my 520..  Nuts on his prices there as well.... the way the guy was dressed and the quality of the beer he was drinkin I woulda thought he woulda willin to deal :confusion-shrug:

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
53 minutes ago, WHX6 said:

@WNYPCRepair Bad news Brian, turns out that tractor I thought might have been a 522xi was a 518 without the power steering, Body work was mostly gone and what was there was junk. Goober saw me nosing around the yard so just for $hit$ & grins I asked him what he wanted for the carcass & he says 500 & I says goodby.  The guy also had a '68 Raider 12  that would have made a nice project tractor and a tall chute blower that would have made for a nice conversion on my short chute cable turn. Also had a boatload of 60" toro decks which would have went sweet on my 520..  Nuts on his prices there as well.... the way the guy was dressed and the quality of the beer he was drinkin I woulda thought he woulda willin to deal :confusion-shrug:

I appreciate your efforts. 

Some people think their stuff is worth way more than it really is. 

tractorhogg

You could run a splitter and power assist steering cheap

WNYPCRepair
36 minutes ago, tractorhogg said:

You could run a splitter and power assist steering cheap

Where would I tap in to the hydraulics?

tractorhogg
22 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Where would I tap in to the hydraulics?

Here is a power point that shows three different ways to add power steering, The cheapest and easiest way is to split off the hydro lines to a cylinder that replaces your control arm, this is power assist. This allows for a much easier steering, not as easy or sensitive as true power steering, but very acceptable, especially for the price. The John Deere 400 and early Bolens large frames used the same or similar systems. This system doesn't required a hydraulic steering box etc. If you would use a 5.70-8 tire or even better go to a 5.70-10 tire and rim it will help even more, both applications help in steering ease and lessen wear on steering parts. If you opt for the 10" rim you can use a BMI billet aluminum 4 bolt hub (need spacers) if your spindles are less than 4.5", if they are 4.5" or longer, you can use cast iron Dexter or shorty trailer hubs. The BMI hub uses a 1-5/8" professional HD precision sealed bearing and the cast iron hub uses a standard timken tapered bearing, both are offered in 3/4" and 1" diameter bore.

Hydraulic Power Assist.ppt

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Thanks, I'll check it out. 

• Like 1

NinerHB

I've got almost the exact same setup, except mine is a power steering unit.  I can get pics of the hydraulic routing with PS today if you want - my tractor is currently without sheet metal while I repaint it - my PO also left it outside for quite a while, and the bodywork was rusted, but not yet really rotting.  I have horses to mow the lawn, so mine is mostly for keeping my driveway clear.

I've got you beat though - I got my setup for $800 on Craigslist.  I had owned the same tractor (mower deck only) that I bought used 10 years ago for $3k, so I couldn't pass that deal up.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, NinerHB said:

I can get pics of the hydraulic routing with PS today if you want

That would be great. I have a 522xi, but it would be nice to know if the NH is the same.

NinerHB

Pics in the front were kind of hard to get, so I traced the routing and drew a little diagram.  Pardon my MS Paint artistry. The interesting part is that the steering gear appears to actually work even without hydraulic pressure - I can twist the steering wheel and the wheels turn, and I don't see any backup physical linkage.  I assumed it was more like a car, where the hydraulic or electric setup is just an assist.

20160321_184801.jpg

20160321_184846.jpg

20160321_184904.jpg

GT22 hydraulic routing.png

• Like 1