kpinnc

Differences between the K161 and K181?

kpinnc

What are the "external" differences between the K161 and K181 engines? Looks like I'm never gonna find a K161, so I'm wondering how obvious it would be to use a K181.

Bill's 701 has got my wheels turning, and I'm missing that particular little part (the engine) on mine :D

I've got the starter generator, the double flyweel pulley, and the belt guard for the 701, and I'm wondering if I could use the K181 until I find the correct engine. My K181 is the starter/generator setup. What would I need to change to make it pass for now? Also, the K181 is missing the ID plate on the flywheel shroud.

Here's the K181:

IM000630-1.jpg

IM000631.jpg

What do you guys think?

Kevin

Sparky

I think I have a K161. Where are you located?

Mike.....

Sparky

Never mind. I just saw that your in North Carolina.

Mike..........

Rollerman

Kevin the K141/K161/K181 are all the same block & externally the same engine.

It's the bore & stroke that makes the differant for the most part.

So you could fit a K181 in your 701 & no one would know unless they call in the "correct police"

kpinnc

I may just have to do it for now. My 701 has been "on the shelf" for way too long, and I wanna see it completed!

Besides, it's just another "pro" on the list for reasons to finish the 867 with the twin briggs now that I found another hood for it!

Now the only thing missing from the K181 is the original carb. It's got a Walbro replacement carb on it... I think I can find one of those!

Kevin

TT

Kevin, do you have the coil bracket that bolts to the two front oil sump bolts for your 701? If you don't I can get the dimensions so you can fabricate one. They are a little different than the "newer" ones.

0571aae8.jpg

kpinnc

Terry, thanks for the picture- and no, I don't have that bracket.

If you can get me the specs on it, I'd sure appreciate it.

Kevin

TT

If you can get me the specs on it, I'd sure appreciate it.

Kevin

I don't know if this is the best place to do this, but here it is:

5d9b1001.jpg

Use this view for following the right/left -- top/bottom dimensions:

6fa59105.jpg

This bracket looks pretty simple to fabricate. The required material is a 1/8" plate steel, 2" X 5 1/8".

It will need bent to 90 degrees along the length, one inch in from either edge.

(I suppose you could use 1/8" thick 1" angle if you aren't scared of the "WH police" :P )

The location of the 3/8" holes (on the top of the backet) to mount the bracket to the engine are as follows:

Both hole centerlines (referred to as CL from here on) are 1/4 inch in from the back edge. The right side hole CL is 1/2" in from the right side and CL spacing to the left hole is 3 3/16".

The two coil bracket mounting holes are drilled 5/16" with the 1/4 X 20 "nut plates" spotwelded to the back side. The CL of the right hole is 1 3/16" in from the right side. The CL spacing is 2 5/8" between holes. Both hole CL's are 1/2" up from the bottom edge.

I think you should understand this, but "shout" if you don't. :D

• Excellent 1

kpinnc

Thank you very much Terry.

Nah, no worries on the WH police. I was was, I'd definately not being considering what I'm considering... :D

Thanks again,

Kevin

T-Mo

As for as I'm concerned, this is the best place for that info. :D

TT

I'll throw this picture on here for reference then too.

This is a coil mounting bracket from a 753:

d033faa3.jpg

I never realized it, but the theory of the blocks all being the same externally has just been shot down. :D

Notice the two extra bolt bosses on Kevin' s engine at the camshaft "bulge" area? ......they aren't on the K-161 on my 701. :P

Now I have to go look at all my small blocks and compare them. I do know that the K-181 from my 855 (now on the 854) doesn't have them.

Rollerman

Okay the K141/161/181 are the same engine almost externally with a few various differances thrown in. :D

Never seen those bosses before on any of my small blocks...or should I say....I never looked for them before? :P

TT

I knew the obvious little stuff was different like dip stick styles, oil drain plugs, exhaust ports (bolt on muffler or screw in pipe)

Here's the K-181 "basic" on my B-80. I think it's around a 1979/80 model and it has those bosses:

fdb97be6.jpg

I guess it's time to play Sherlock again :P

(I know it's not that big of a deal, and we aren't really wrong about anything here -- but it's something that we can all use as a reference in the future.)

And the last thing I want to have to do is hide from Stephen at the show. :(

:D

Rollerman

LOL....Terry I'll be looking for you...to shake your hand for all the good info & keen eyesight you bring to Red Square. :P ....I really just hope to make it. :(

I'm going to have to look around at some of my earlier & later model K series small blocks tommorrow...see if I can see any of these "bosses" <_<

It seems like Terry can catch something in 3 posts or less....I think he needs a challenge? :D LOL

T-Mo

It seems like Terry can catch something in 3 posts or less....I think he needs a challenge?

It seems like everytime you guys post, there is more new info to digest, and it's not just TT. :D

kpinnc

Krap!

Those bosses were where the coil mounted on that engine...

TT- you don't miss a thing!

Kevin

Rollerman

TT seems all my later style K181's with gear starters have the cast in bosses on the block.

Kevin I'd go ahead & put that engine in your 701....gonna have to look hard under that solid front hood to spot those cast in bosses.

TT

Hmmmmm ...... maybe Kevin's K-181 is not original to his 867 then?

I had an 857 but don't have a picture of the front of the engine, so I can't check that one. I didn't get a chance to check the other ones yet, but NOW I'm real curious. :D

By the way.....

The blue "basic" K-181 that's on my B-80 was originally a recoil-start / magneto-ignition / fixed-throttle engine. It was new enough to have the chrome ID sticker instead of the metal tag. (that I can barely read :P ) It also had the "tin" recoil starter housing, not the cast aluminum one.

kpinnc

Hmmmmm ...... maybe Kevin's K-181 is not original to his 867 then?

Great! :D

Oh well, maybe that's one way to answer the question of keeping the 867 original...

There was no ID plate on the engine, so I didn't have any way to know. I've got the original manual, I'll see if it's detailed enough to tell where the coil was mounted...

Kevin

Rollerman

Kevin it could be the original engine let go & a PO bought a short block for it. :P

I would not sweat the small details like that.Unless the Correct Police try & ruff you up. :D

TT

There was no ID plate on the engine, so I didn't have any way to know. I've got the original manual, I'll see if it's detailed enough to tell where the coil was mounted...

Kevin

I believe I can tell you that....

It would be the same as my 857 was, which was on bracket identical to the one from a 753 in the photo I have posted above.

And..... That explains the Walbro carburetor now too.

It should have the Carter model N with a metal fuel line from the pump to the carb.

kpinnc

Well, it had the metal fuel line to the carb...

I can't find the manual. I'll check it when I find the thing.

I don't know whether to be happy or ticked about this little development... :D

Kevin

TT

I'm probably gonna pay for this, but I just realized something else. The drive pulley on your engine is not for an 867 either. It should have the three groove pulley for use with the foot-operated PTO like this one currently on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320208037650

combatmp29r

Now why ya gotta go throw salt on poor kevins wounds? :P

Just kiddin Terry I wouldn't have picked that out till I was ready to assemble it and it didn't work. Good eye Hawkeye!! Now where did stephensan go I need some more fried rice :D

TT

I looked at those pictures many times and never thought much of it until I focused on the end of the crankshaft. (thinking it looked awful big for 1") That's when I realized it was the inner race for the newer style PTO pulley roller bearing. (still need that "WTF?" smiley)

That's when it all hit me! (as long as Kevin DOESN'T! :P )

Now I have to ask if that was all on there when you got the tractor, Kevin? :D