DennisThornton

D series values with/without options

DennisThornton

D-160, 180 and 200.  Not the D-250s. 

I should be doing other things but I'm looking at two Ds.  I'm wondering how to value and compare them, not just by condition, age or HP but with or without options like 3-point, front and rear PTOs.  I don't see enough of them to get a good grip on the options.  How much more is a D with 3-point worth than without.  How hard is it to find just the 3-point?  Same with the PTOs?  I'm not sure I have ever seen the PTOs for sale alone!

So far I've never owned or even ridden one and I think that needs to be corrected before I die!

tractorhogg

Wow Dennis, those are some very deep and subjective questions. As to worth, value, and  price, none of those can be quantified by anyone but you, well they can, but they won't mean diddly. First of all, the more optioned any tractor is the greater the worth. I would not buy a D series without a 3 point or rear PTO unless it was very, very cheap, the 3 points are 350 dollars on auction sites and the rear PTOs are running between 175-250. The 16hp single cylinder kohler powered and 18hp twin kohler powered were the fewest made, so as for value I believe these to be a premium. The twin onan powered while an excellant engine in the day will cost a fortune to rebuild, and it will need rebuilt, they all will someday, probably right after you buy it. By far most of the rear PTOs I see are on electric PTO D160 onan powered tractors, but you must decide whether or not you feel like shelling out 500-700 for a rear tiller before the rear PTO even matters. The 3 point and fast attachment options are a different story, as are other implements such as a blade that is for a D series only. I would rather spend 1000.00 for a decent D180 with a deck, 3 point, and front blade, than I would to spend 500.00 for one with just a deck, but I am in Oklahoma and every attachments comes from far away, but even so, the time it takes and the uncertainty of getting a decent attachment add into the equation. The PTOs and 3 points come up on auction sites and craigslist, but remember you also need the cylinder for the 3 point, the coupler, and double pulley for the PTO, often these are not included in the auction. Best bet is to buy a complete tractor with attachments and options now and save yourself a ton of headaches and sorrow later. I'm sure others can add to what I have said and even offer a different point of view.

Edited by tractorhogg
  • Like 7

pacer

Tractorhogg did a great coverage of the D's and I can only add a couple comments.

Re the PTO - be aware that it turns at a much higher rpm (2000 ??) as opposed to 540 for virtually all attachments except made for horses...

A couple weak points - the steering is prone to problems. The Sundstrand drive is quite robust but with the age of these tractors if it is weak or non functioning they are a pill to repair. The twin Kohlers, again are VERY robust but if need overhaul parts are nearly extinct.

I have 4 of the D's that I dearly LOVE- one of each, the D-200 doesnt have PTO or 3 point and the D-160 doesnt have PTO. I use the 3 points quite often. The D's are quite the beasties and I can turn out some work with one and the deck can cut almost like a bush hog!

• Like 3

otrelwood

ive had 6 ds the steering as already pointed out is a weak point something is always getting loose on it plus they don't turn very short but they are so ugly theyre cute ive liked all of the ones ive had getting ready to install a loader and power steering on a d 200 wont need 3 point or rear pto    as far as value ive seen them go from free to $3500 just depending on what everyone agrees on

Edited by otrelwood
  • Like 2

tractorhogg

Thanks pacer, I have 2 D160 single cylinder kohler and love them, one I have with a 3 point and rear PTO, the other is outfitted as a mower. I still have a lot of work (money) on tires and getting some rear wheel weights, but I'm getting there.

20150929_175934.jpg

• Like 7

DennisThornton
6 hours ago, tractorhogg said:

Wow Dennis, those are some very deep and subjective questions. As to worth, value, and  price, none of those can be quantified by anyone but you, well they can, but they won't mean diddly. First of all, the more optioned any tractor is the greater the worth. I would not buy a D series without a 3 point or rear PTO unless it was very, very cheap, the 3 points are 350 dollars on auction sites and the rear PTOs are running between 175-250. The 16hp single cylinder kohler powered and 18hp twin kohler powered were the fewest made, so as for value I believe these to be a premium. The twin onan powered while an excellant engine in the day will cost a fortune to rebuild, and it will need rebuilt, they all will someday, probably right after you buy it. By far most of the rear PTOs I see are on electric PTO D160 onan powered tractors, but you must decide whether or not you feel like shelling out 500-700 for a rear tiller before the rear PTO even matters. The 3 point and fast attachment options are a different story, as are other implements such as a blade that is for a D series only. I would rather spend 1000.00 for a decent D180 with a deck, 3 point, and front blade, than I would to spend 500.00 for one with just a deck, but I am in Oklahoma and every attachments comes from far away, but even so, the time it takes and the uncertainty of getting a decent attachment add into the equation. The PTOs and 3 points come up on auction sites and craigslist, but remember you also need the cylinder for the 3 point, the coupler, and double pulley for the PTO, often these are not included in the auction. Best bet is to buy a complete tractor with attachments and options now and save yourself a ton of headaches and sorrow later. I'm sure others can add to what I have said and even offer a different point of view.

That's the kind of info that I was hoping for.  And I was already leaning in that direction.  I just haven't seen many D series PTOs or 3 point hitches!

Thanks again for lots of great info!

I've seen several D's for sale but my weaknesses deal more with how to value the absence of features.  I bought my 520Lxi at a great price but with NOTHING!  Don't regret the purchase at all but it was after the fact that I found out that Classic WH attachments are FAR more available than the xis, and I'm trying to get a feeling for how uncommon the D series attachments/options are.

Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1

tractorhogg
50 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

That's the kind of info that I was hoping for.  And I was already leaning in that direction.  I just haven't seen many D series PTOs or 3 point hitches!

Thanks again for lots of great info!

I've seen several D's for sale but my weaknesses deal more with how to value the absence of features.  I bought my 520Lxi at a great price but with NOTHING!  Don't regret the purchase at all but it was after the fact that I found out that Classic WH attachments are FAR more available than the xis, and I'm trying to get a feeling for how uncommon the D series attachments/options are.

Thanks for all your help!

I buy Wheel Horse D series tractors and parts as part of my collection of different brands, if I find an attachment 100-1000 miles from me I attempt to have it shipped, sometimes that cost 50 dollars sometimes 250, I don't care. I still have 285.00 and I get paid next February, not sure how I will get food on the table or keep the lights on, but this is how I have lived for 40 years, I can't imagine living life knowing there would be an almost guarantee of food, money, or safety. That said I doubt anyone else lives like me or anyone else, the same is said for tractors, we don't collect in the same way, but if you want attachments they aren't usually next door, down the street, across town, or two towns over, I generally find they are 4-8 hours drive minimum or cost 150 to ship. If you buy a D series and don't get the attachments you want with the tractor will you be willing to ship or travel? That is the question you have to ask yourself. One of my tractors I had shipped 1000 miles. With a 3 point the attachments aren't always brand specific as Ohio Steel and Brinly built most of the 3 point attachments for many different brands, they were known as Allied Attachments, because they were allied with different manufacturers. Brinly built a nice box blade, but any light weight 4 foot box blade would do. They also built a cultivator and plow, but again those are still available from current implement dealers, same goes for a rear scraper blade. In fact it may be easier to find newer small implements than the Brinly attachments and may be cheaper as the Brinly command a collector price. Since the D series also shared a similar deck with the C series i don't think that will be an issue and I see snowblowers frequently as well.

DennisThornton
59 minutes ago, tractorhogg said:

I buy Wheel Horse D series tractors and parts as part of my collection of different brands, if I find an attachment 100-1000 miles from me I attempt to have it shipped, sometimes that cost 50 dollars sometimes 250, I don't care. I still have 285.00 and I get paid next February, not sure how I will get food on the table or keep the lights on, but this is how I have lived for 40 years, I can't imagine living life knowing there would be an almost guarantee of food, money, or safety. That said I doubt anyone else lives like me or anyone else, the same is said for tractors, we don't collect in the same way, but if you want attachments they aren't usually next door, down the street, across town, or two towns over, I generally find they are 4-8 hours drive minimum or cost 150 to ship. If you buy a D series and don't get the attachments you want with the tractor will you be willing to ship or travel? That is the question you have to ask yourself. One of my tractors I had shipped 1000 miles. With a 3 point the attachments aren't always brand specific as Ohio Steel and Brinly built most of the 3 point attachments for many different brands, they were known as Allied Attachments, because they were allied with different manufacturers. Brinly built a nice box blade, but any light weight 4 foot box blade would do. They also built a cultivator and plow, but again those are still available from current implement dealers, same goes for a rear scraper blade. In fact it may be easier to find newer small implements than the Brinly attachments and may be cheaper as the Brinly command a collector price. Since the D series also shared a similar deck with the C series i don't think that will be an issue and I see snowblowers frequently as well.

Somewhat comfortable with the "Classics", a little less with the "xi"s and really not with the "D"s...  Will take some time and tips from guys like you here on RedSquare.

i really would like a D....

Mike_Eddleman

Great thread, I got my D180 with the pto mower a tiller a box blade and a scraper, all for next to nothing. Had to do a complete rewire, buy a coil, and make the valve handles that said, It was missing the part of the PTO that hooks to the tractor and slides into the part of the PTO on the mower and tiller making them both just weight on the back of the tractor. I've been told that you just can not find them anymore and so far I have not located one, I did finely find a 1" 15 spline shaft on  ebay, the guy had 5 left and said he didn't know if he would get anymore in, so its on the way now I'll have to try to find the knuckles to make the pto. SO if you do get a D make sure all the extra parts are with it, the extras are really hard to find

• Like 2

pfrederi

I have only 1 D200.  She has a FEL, (which is why I bought it) but also came with turning brakes (not all that useful in my opinion), 3 point hitch and rear PTO. I also picked up the 60" rear mower which I have used few times.  To get a D with no attachments it would have to be very cheap.  They are big heavy machines that are not good at maneuvering.  The Kohler engines are tough but if they break.... I spent a lot of time (and $$) getting the Sundstrand to work well.

To get one with just a 48" deck would in my opinion be overkill. 

For me bottom line is what do i want it for, then find one with the options i would need to use it for my intended purpose.  Just to have one with no mission wouldn't do it for me..

Sea-Duck51

I absolutely believe prices are directly related to geography,recently decided to list my D160 W/FEL,Rear PTO,3-Point,for sale on CL,realized that I won't get around to restoring this horse,need the room,can't keep it tied up outside,HOA doesn't approve of livestock outside and going a different direction,found a little 63 Hillman Husky that I want to build a hot rod,anyway started high on the price but listed now for $1350 and only received one response that said I was getting closer to his wife's pain threshold..lol,anyway I might wait till the local tractor show next spring or just keep reposting,thought about listing here but the shipping would be prohibitive to most RS members out east,IMO a good deal is one you feel comfortable with and both party's walk away with a smile thinking they got the best of the other..lmao

Edited by Sea-Duck51
Add Specs,price

DennisThornton
On 12/6/2015, 12:28:33, otrelwood said:

ive had 6 ds the steering as already pointed out is a weak point something is always getting loose on it plus they don't turn very short but they are so ugly theyre cute ive liked all of the ones ive had getting ready to install a loader and power steering on a d 200 wont need 3 point or rear pto    as far as value ive seen them go from free to $3500 just depending on what everyone agrees on

Trusting you will share more about the power steering!

tractorhogg

Not as hard to install a power assist, full power steering would involve more work and money.

DennisThornton

Got to know more about this "power assist".

tractorhogg
10 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Got to know more about this "power assist".

Typically power steering involves bring power to a box on the steering column that brings power in and gives power beyond to a cylinder when the wheel is turned, power assist uses a valve that allows hydraulic pressure through a cylinder to push the tie rods by putting pressure into the cylinder without the need of a different steering wheel. i know i didn't explain this right, maybe someone else could chime in, This system was used on the JD 400 and many older big tractors. Larger ten or twelve inch front rims and tires would benefit steering immensely.

DennisThornton

I roughly understand but it's the details!  I love the PS on my XIs!

tractorhogg

Power steering can greatly help a FEL tractor, i just think power assist and taller tires would do the same thing but cheaper and easier. Look at the taller 10" front tires/rims on my Wheel Horse D160 above

tractorhogg

Hey Dennis, here is a powerpoint tutorial about how power assist works, download and save it for future reference. Al

Hydraulic Power Assist.ppt

Shuboxlover

I have a 3 pt and a rear PTO for sale if you ever find a tractor without said options. :)

DennisThornton
10 hours ago, Shuboxlover said:

I have a 3 pt and a rear PTO for sale if you ever find a tractor without said options.

I'm afraid the distance from Plattsburgh NY and Firth NE might be an issue, but what might said options cost if purchased?

tractorhogg
10 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

I'm afraid the distance from Plattsburgh NY and Firth NE might be an issue, but what might said options cost if purchased?

There is always shipping Dennis. That would bring a reasonably priced 3 point well over over 400.00. It would seem since you do not have a D series trying to buy one first would be a better choice, one close by, and one hopefully with a 3 point. We sure do not want to start pricing parts and prices on open forum posts, for several reasons, reasons that really benefit no one. I was hoping you would pull the trigger on that great D200 with all those options not far from you, is that on your list or know?

DennisThornton
10 hours ago, tractorhogg said:

There is always shipping Dennis. That would bring a reasonably priced 3 point well over over 400.00. It would seem since you do not have a D series trying to buy one first would be a better choice, one close by, and one hopefully with a 3 point. We sure do not want to start pricing parts and prices on open forum posts, for several reasons, reasons that really benefit no one. I was hoping you would pull the trigger on that great D200 with all those options not far from you, is that on your list or know?

The owner of the D we discussed has not responded to my emails...

Edited by DennisThornton
"the" D

tractorhogg
36 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

The owner of D we discussed has not responded to my emails...

Well you could call him, many guys do not check their emails, they wait for someone to call them. His number is three one 5 six hundred 7 two 7 three