608KEB

charging a battery?

608KEB

I have 1 extra new unused battery on hand. Should I keep that battery charged? Or should I leave it until I'm going to use it? How many cold cranking amps do you like when buying a battery?

Edited by 608KEB

JC 1965

I suggest using a Battery Tender. It will keep your battery charged at 100% and your battery will last a lot longer.      :twocents-02cents:

• Like 6

DougC

If you are storing it, don't set it directly on the cement floor it will discharge. Set it on a piece of wood or shelf and keep it charged so it won't freeze in the winter.   :twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

Save Old Iron
56 minutes ago, DougC said:

don't set it directly on the cement floor it will discharge.

total myth

this stopped being a valid concern when battery cases stopped being made from wood, asphalt and rubber ..... that's a while back.

• Like 5

DougC
57 minutes ago, Save Old Iron said:

total myth

this stopped being a valid concern when battery cases stopped being made from wood, asphalt and rubber ..... that's a while back.

50 years ago  when I was told that, I suppose It didn't matter then either, But I always believed what my father told me. He was my hero back then and still is to this day.    :) 

Edited by DougC
  • Like 4

WHX??

I'm with Save Old Iron on this  one although I  do keep mine  on wood...old habits die hard  I guess.  I  also don't keep them all on a tender but do rotate thru..... I don't have that many tenders  I go for the max CCA's as they can stuff in a  battery that fits....cold WI winters ya know!

Blain's in Mad Town is a good source

Excuse the under line this #%÷€×$&# this thing

Edited by WHX6

Save Old Iron
13 hours ago, 608KEB said:

Should I keep that battery charged? Or should I leave it until I'm going to use it?

Batteries self discharge at a rate of 3 to 10%+ per month.

Use a float charger or battery "maintainer" on the battery until you put it into use.

squonk

During the heat of the summer, nice cool cement is better for a battery than insulating wood.