WNYPCRepair

Kohler K341 coil wired backwards? Possible?

WNYPCRepair

I have a C165 with a Kohler K341AS. It has been running fine, though it doesn't get a lot of use. I was using it to pull my trailer around while I finish my electric trailer tilt, and it suddenly started running rough and died. 

Pushed it in the garage, I have no spark to plug, according to my cheap HF tester. I start troubleshooting, and I have 12v on one side of the coil, nothing on the other. I came upstairs to my office to look up troubleshooting steps, and realize mine is wired backwards of what everyone else says, and what I see in the Kohler service manual. My condenser and points are on the positive side of the coil, and 12v from the ignition switch is on the negative side. 

Is it possible to run that way, and is it definitely backward?

cleat

I think that it will run this way but you will have a weak yellow spark.

Cleat

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
18 minutes ago, cleat said:

I think that it will run this way but you will have a weak yellow spark.

Cleat

Yes, it will run that way. Explains why it was hard to start. I assumed the fuel was leaking back into the tank or something. After 30 seconds of cranking, it would fire up and seemed to run well. 

Bought a new coil, fired right up. It started with no choke, no throttle. I was just planning on cranking it a couple of times to see if it had spark, and was surprised when it fired up with no throttle. Runs great now. 

Next question, previous owner said it would flood after running a bit, longest it ran without flooding was 90 minutes. It flooded so bad it dripped out of the air filter. I have never ran it long enough to flood. Could the coil have caused that issue as well? I'm not sure how, as I am no mechanic, but it would be nice to know it was related. Or that it isn't, I guess.

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:           Sounds like the float setting could be a bit high or the needle is not seating completely. I could be wrong but IMHO there is no direct link between ignition problems and flooding after an extended run time. I'm sure some one will tell us why I am mistaken!  :ROTF:

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair
32 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:twocents-02cents:           Sounds like the float setting could be a bit high or the needle is not seating completely. I could be wrong but IMHO there is no direct link between ignition problems and flooding after an extended run time. I'm sure some one will tell us why I am mistaken!  :ROTF:

I wouldn't think so either, but PO rebuilt the carb, still had the issue, then had a shop rebuild it again, no change

wallfish

The only way it can flood is if fuel gets past that valve, so that is where the flooding issue is.

The float might have a hole in it. Easy to check by pulling it out and give it a shake while you listen for gas splashing inside.

• Like 2

squonk

When it was running bad and coughing, raw fuel could have blown out of the carb into the air filter. I had a C-145 that had a bad connection in the primary circuit of the coil. When it acted up, it would run really bad and tried to stall. Raw fuel would drip out of the air cleaner

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

I guess first I need to run it long enough to verify the issue. I ran it for 15 minutes or so when I got it with no problems, since then it has been short runs. maybe I'll let it run a while tomorrow, see if it floods

• Like 1