car

Picked up a 268 Hydro today

car

Just as the title says. It's in pretty good shape however, the hood is damaged. Someone had jerked on the hood to open it and broke off the end of the hood. The owner glued and put tape on the back side to hold it in place. I wasn't informed of this until after I drove 80 miles to look at it. Overall it's a clean mower and has been taken good care of. What are my options on fixing or replacing the hood? Other than under the seat  is there another place on this model to find the serial number?

slammer302

Pics!!

Sparky

I'm almost positive that the decal on the fender near the seat is the only ID location. You might be able to narrow down the year by the model and serial number on the engine if its original.

Mike..........

953 nut

:WRS:       I'm not sure what type of plastic the hood on the 268 is made of, but the plastic bumpers on today's cars are weldable. You could call around to body shops to see if they have the equipment. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:wwp:

DougC

It's amazing how forgetful people can be when they're trying to sell something, then unwilling to reduce the price when the buyer  drives a long distance and is surprised the problems were not mentioned in the add or during the phone call. They all say It's in excellent condition.   :angry-nono:

• Like 2

car

I've got a new computer and I'm just now using it. Not sure why the picture is upside down. It's not that way on mine?

IMG_1707.JPG

Edited by car
  • Like 1

car

another picture

Wheel Horse

Wheel Horse (1).jpg

Edited by car
  • Like 6

car

It's a 99. After looking at the last picture posted you can see the damage to the hood on the right side. How would you fix it?

WHX??

That doesn't look too terrible. .a little fiberglass patch and some sanding and a little red rattle can should do it. Not perfect but should suffice  for a worker. A little tlc and you will get a lot of use out of it. Wel:WRS:

Edited by WHX6

car

After I waxed it today I pulled out my 310-8 to wash it up for the winter. Didn't realize how bad my 310 looks. It's been my main mower since 92 and it's a 1986. It's due for some sanding and some paint.

shallowwatersailor
On 12/5/2015, 9:54:42, car said:

It's a 99. After looking at the last picture posted you can see the damage to the hood on the right side. How would you fix it?

The 5xi's little brother! I have often thought about finding one of these as well. You might check JD forums for hints as they use plastic for more than just the hood on their tractors. I think that sanding the seam down with progressively finer sandpaper should make it presentable. Be careful with spray bomb paint as it may be "hot" and react to the plastic if you decide to paint it. 

Irv

Nice looking machine. Looks like the back wheels are on backwards.

• Like 1

car

Irv good eye. It's funny as soon as I read your post I thought I bet he's right because when I bought  the mower I thought something didn't look right with the back tires. I'm use to tractor tread so I figured it was just me. I went out and checked them and one is correct and the other one isn't lol

shallowwatersailor

The wheels are on correctly. The dish of the wheel faces in on this model.

56673c36d11f7_ToroWheelHorse268model7208

• Like 1

TDF5G
On 12/8/2015 at 2:24 PM, shallowwatersailor said:

The wheels are on correctly. The dish of the wheel faces in on this model.

That's what I was thinking.  

Maybe I'm not looking hard enough, but why are 268 models not on the Master List?