Sign in to follow this  
tommyg

Simple repair? Hah!

tommyg

I knew is was going to take a little effort to replace the manifold on my D180, but I had no idea! Holy smokes! I should have just planned on restoring the thing while I was at it! The good news, though, is that I found that the "T" bracket that supports the steering column was totally cracked in two near the weld. No wonder my steering was sloppy. Got it re-welded and the new manifold installed. Working on putting everything back together. I wish I wasn't so anal about making sure every bold makes it back into it's original spot! Just hoping this resolves my front manifold leak. After two attempts at putting new seals (and failing), I came to the conclusion that there must be a hairline crack where the tubes insert into the mounting plate. I'll find out soon enough.  

IMG_1191.JPG

IMG_1192.JPG

IMG_1193.JPG

IMG_1197.JPG

Edited by tommyg
  • Like 7

Mike_Eddleman

Hope mine never leaks. I'll use the bucket method, but a bucket under it and pore it fluid back in the tractor

• Like 4

slovinski

Wow, you went deep brother.  Glad to hear you found the source of your steering problem. 

AMC RULES

Looks like it gave you a workout.  :huh:

DougC

Kinda like having to tear apart the entire house to replace the front door knob...:omg:    I see you picked up all the empty beer cans before you took the picture......  :teasing-poke:      :lol: 

• Like 2

tommyg

DougC, exactly! And in the process, you find out the door jamb wasn't attached to the studs! I'm gonna look at it as a blessing in disguise, but my fear right now is that I'll get it back together and the doorknob is defective! Really hoping I've got the leak fixed in the process. If not, you might see the beer cans!

Edited by tommyg
  • Like 2

DougC
2 hours ago, tommyg said:

DougC, exactly! And in the process, you find out the door jamb wasn't attached to the studs! I'm gonna look at it as a blessing in disguise, but my fear right now is that I'll get it back together and the doorknob is defective! Really hoping I've got the leak fixed in the process. If not, you might see the beer cans!

Well, Ohio is not that far from Iowa. Let me know if a beer run is necessary and I will do my best to deliver and even help you empty the cans. I hope however you have it fixed and the empty cans you show us are in celebration. Either way........  It's Miller Time.       :beer:

• Like 1