Joemckna82

New From Northern Virginia

Joemckna82

Hi all!

I've been on and off the forums recently looking for an illustration, and or details on how the diode/charging system is wired on my A-100. If you can point me in the right direction, I'd greatly appreciate it! I've fully restored my A-100, but was able to locate the charging issue. Tractor needed to be re-wired fully, which I did, but I wasn't aware of the diode that had been removed previously. Would love to post pics for you all, and get it back up and running for the kids during Christmas! 

I'm a long time Sears enthusiast, and have completed a few restorations (I'm a long standing MTF member, links to my restos are in my profile if you're interested). I also recently restored an old Cushman cart. My twin brother went "Green," and tried to pull me in that direction, but I've developed a liking and admiration for these Red machines, which means that the trailer will probably be in use, and the garage will be tighter (when is it not?)!! Pleasure to meet you all, looking forward to spending time here!! 

Edited by Joemckna82
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Happen to know what year your :wh: is?

Here is the link to the manuals here on the forum...

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/files/

:WRS:

gwest_ca

The wiring diagram indicates there is a red and yellow wire coming from the stator. The yellow has AC current and powers the lights only.

The red should have a diode which is usually located just outside the flywheel cover before a connector that plugs into the tractor wiring. This has rectified but unregulated DC output to charge the battery. The diode is usually just covered with tape and you can feel the diode through the tape.

Engine parts list

B&S stators

Another

Tractor manuals

Garry

• Like 1

DougC

Welcome.       :WRS:    Enjoy the forum.

Joemckna82

Thank you all in advance! I'll check these posts (and attachments) out when I return home. I believe this a 1976 A-100. The engine # stamped on the housing is  

251707 0161-01 76061512

I was able to pull parts up by using 251707 0161-99

JC 1965

Hello and    :WRS:

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:  Joe.

953 nut

:text-welcomeconfetti:                    Lots of good folks here willing to help.                                       :WRS:

gwest_ca

Finally found where the original 391520 stator has been replaced by 592831 and here is a photo of it

https://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/parts/592831/

A search found an original 391520 at Ebay and it looks the same - A black wire and a red wire. You will likely find a cheap 6 amp diode at Radio Shack. I think the designed output is 3 amp but can't prove it.

The same engine was used 1976 and 1977 but we don't have the 1976 tractor manual.

Garry

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Welcome!

can whlvr

:WRS: