Retired Wrencher

Hold on to your Plug Buttons.

Retired Wrencher

Just thought I would pass on this info I am redoing the 607 that I have the dash needed a new decal from

Terry. I noticed that one of the plug button was very rusty. I went to three hardware stores with no luck every one said ohh we don`t sell those anymore.. So you could not see it on brushed aluminum any way if new.  So I painted it black. Good enough. I cut between the black and silver this is the best dash that I have done to date.  Trying to do it in one shot is hard to line up and you get bubbles because of the one piece. I have done many of these. Also I have the deck on the old 1965 Springfield. Boy it makes you appreciate how well W/Horse is built compared to this tractor. Hope you  enjoy the picks. Enjoy the ride.     Gary    B....

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 8

Wishin4a416

Very nice work!!! Looks good.

• Like 1

RedRanger

Looks very nice.  I'm having the same issue finding quality metal plugs for the gear drive mower deck grease zerk holes.

Found them on Ebay, but pricey.  Nothing local.

Those Springfields look like toys compared to the way WH tractors are built.

• Like 1

PaulC

The electrical dept here at my work has tons of those plugs all different sizes. We use them to plug holes in our boxes in the occasion a hole is drilled wrong or a change is made. Maybe try an electrical parts supplier or I just looked on Mcmaster Carr and they carry them also but you have to have an account to buy from them. Your work does look real nice though :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Terry M
1 hour ago, RedRanger said:

I'm having the same issue finding quality metal plugs for the gear drive mower deck grease zerk holes.

Found them on Ebay, but pricey.  Nothing local.

HMM, last time I went to my local hardware store (just last year) and bought some of these and they were very plentiful .    I'll check it out and see if these are still available locally here at home.   

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
22 minutes ago, Terry M said:

HMM, last time I went to my local hardware store (just last year) and bought some of these and they were very plentiful .    I'll check it out and see if these are still available locally here at home.   

Terry I did the same thing. Last year I needed some for the 606 that I had and local hardware had them now SORRY>

Racinbob

I found them at Lowes. One is a 3/4", the other 7/8". They had gobs of them in the gray drawers. They are Hillman brand. The problem with electrical is that the smallest conduit knockout (1/2") measures 7/8".  :)

500 spl dash 1.JPG

• Like 5

Racinbob

You did a great job on that Gary. I did mine a different way. I'll also be doing another one soon. Did you find that the decal is a bit oversize and needed trimming a bit after installed?

• Like 1

JP 141

You can also check Plumbing supply stores for Rubber Plugs, I used them for pump motors in wet locations, little more forgiving in exact sizing applications

• Like 1

Mike_Eddleman

I think the electrical plugs would work good. Home Depot, Lowes. By the way it looks great

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Good job Gary...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

great idea too, cutting into two seperate pieces. 

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 1

JPWH

For the smaller sizes look in the light/ fan area at the big box stores. Plugs for light canopys and fan housings are sometimes available.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
14 hours ago, Racinbob said:

You did a great job on that Gary. I did mine a different way. I'll also be doing another one soon. Did you find that the decal is a bit oversize and needed trimming a bit after installed?

Racinbob Yes it was over sized. I have an small exacto knife did a good job on the holes and the trimming. Just line it up. So how did you do yours?

14 hours ago, Mike_Eddleman said:

I think the electrical plugs would work good. Home Depot, Lowes. By the way it looks great

Mike I have been to H.D. already no go there. I guess I can try Lowes. Hard to get there = to much traffic.

Edited by T1257

JC 1965

Great job on that tractor.     :thumbs2: Thanks for sharing.

Mike_Eddleman
2 hours ago, T1257 said:

Racinbob Yes it was over sized. I have an small exacto knife did a good job on the holes and the trimming. Just line it up. So how did you do yours?

Mike I have been to H.D. already no go there. I guess I can try Lowes. Hard to get there = to much traffic.

if you have a electrical supply they will have them. I'm going to H.D. this morning if they have them I will get a hand full and send you some. I used to be a electrician by trade before becoming disabled. I use to keep them by the boxes in my van.

Racinbob

Gary, I’ll say this one more time then drop it. An electrical KO closure will work for the 7/8” lighter hole but you’re not going to find one for the ¾” generator hole.  OK, go to the Lowes electrical dept. You will find a ¾” closure. Put a tape measure to it. Whoa….1 1/8”. You won’t find a 7/8” but grab a ½” closure and you’ll find it measures 7/8”. There's your lighter hole plug. That’s just how it works with electrical conduit measurements. The contours may vary and they won’t be chrome. Maybe plated but not chrome. Hank01 has a good idea in the lighting dept. but I don’t know. So, go to the hardware dept. and find the row with all the gray pullout drawers. You’ll find some marked ‘Hard to find’. You should find one with chrome hole plugs. Bingo, ¾” and 7/8” that actually measure that and are chrome.  It may be different regionally but it’s like that here as well as northern Indiana. What you did looks great but if you’d like, PM me your address. I have an extra set I’ll send you.

Here’s what I did to install my decal. I didn’t know they were oversize a bit. The top of the plate is curved but the bottom is perfectly straight. I butted up the bottom to a good straight edge (countertop backsplash) and it was pretty easy to get the alignment right. I used a plastic card (credit card type) to work up the decal and get it tucked into the center ridge, working over it and tucking in the other side. Once done I saw the overlap and the edges. No biggie. I trimmed it off with a razor knife and cut the holes out. Because the bottom black area has a thin edge of the chrome you can see it on the finished product. Remember, it was the flush starting point. That thin chrome strip was trimmed off the sides of the black. I also noticed two more things. The lettering on the center ridge is a fuzz high and the generator light closure got in to the ‘depress clutch’ wording.  I’ve got another one to do so I’m planning on trimming a bit off the bottom prior to installation. I’m very happy with it but I think I can tweak things a little.  :)

Edited by Racinbob