WNYPCRepair

Adding power tilt to HF trailer.

WNYPCRepair

Riding tractors on the tilting HF trailer is kind of scary. And I needed a new project to take some time off from totally rebuilding a rust bucket of a deck. 

Picked up a 3500 pound electric trailer jack at HF. Spent two days trying to figure out how to make a mount that would act as a hinge, finally just made a giant hinge. Here is the first test. I think I am going to change the setup and connect the bottom to the trailer tongue. I don't like how far it is extended before the rear of the trailer is on the ground.

https://youtu.be/ld2f_JgzJbQ

Edited by WNYPCRepair
Can't get the movie to embed
  • Like 2

Brian01

Nice...

elcamino/wheelhorse

I think I could connect bottom of trailer to the tongue also, but that is a nice set up for hauling horses.

DennisThornton

I like it but a little bit like watching paint dry...

Was thinking about adding an electric actuator to my snow blade angle as a convenience factor when in the snow cab until I read it takes 19 seconds of full travel.  Takes me a second by hand...

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

I like it but a little bit like watching paint dry...

Was thinking about adding an electric actuator to my snow blade angle as a convenience factor when in the snow cab until I read it takes 19 seconds of full travel.  Takes me a second by hand...

That is another reason I decided to connect the other end to the tongue instead, should be a bit faster. The JD I rescued from my brother in law taught me that the tilt without power is a pain. You have to lift it by hand, and prop it up with a 2x4, because it won't stay tilted on it's own. Then when I was coming off, you have to ride right to the back edge before it tilts down, and the JD was barely running, so I was afraid I was going to ride right off the back before it tilted, and I almost did, but I slid to a stop at the edge, and it slowly tilted down. 

The second part of this project is a winch, so I can drag it up on the trailer.

• Like 1

baerpath

If you just want it to balance better, tip up sooner and stay raised You could add some weight under the deck on the rear to get the balance right. 

• Like 1

DennisThornton
1 hour ago, WNYPCRepair said:

That is another reason I decided to connect the other end to the tongue instead, should be a bit faster. The JD I rescued from my brother in law taught me that the tilt without power is a pain. You have to lift it by hand, and prop it up with a 2x4, because it won't stay tilted on it's own. Then when I was coming off, you have to ride right to the back edge before it tilts down, and the JD was barely running, so I was afraid I was going to ride right off the back before it tilted, and I almost did, but I slid to a stop at the edge, and it slowly tilted down. 

The second part of this project is a winch, so I can drag it up on the trailer.

I have a tandem tilt so maybe it is more steady but it will tilt, stay down and then lower rather gracefully as I load a tractor.  Never used a single axle tilt that way so I don't know.  Now, for your purpose one could watch paint dry a bit but for changing the angle of a snow blade I'd go nuts!

I have several winches around here and why they aren't hooked up to something is a mystery.  That tandem trailer would be a good start!  Not all my tractors are able to drive up my trailer...

squonk

Here's a question. Are you going to equip it with some kind of remote control? Seems pretty scary to me riding a tractor up on the trailer tilted. Then having to get off of it with out falling off or having the tractor slide down before you get to the control to start lowering it

• Like 1

Trouty56
8 minutes ago, squonk said:

Here's a question. Are you going to equip it with some kind of remote control? Seems pretty scary to me riding a tractor up on the trailer tilted. Then having to get off of it with out falling off or having the tractor slide down before you get to the control to start lowering it

I think that is where the winch comes in Mike....

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Yes, I plan on using the winch. 

953 nut

I have a tilt trailer and it always seemed like playing with a loaded gun; unless you got all the way up against the front wall it would stay tilted. Also, I always backed on to prevent momentary loss of traction resulting in a back flip so when you did make it to the front wall of the trailer it was an abrupt stop. Ended up just using a winch, much safer.   :twocents-02cents:  I now have a ramp trailer with a winch, only way to go.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

exactly, it works, if you have a running tractor, but it isn't a pleasant experience. 

I thought about a gas shock to slow down the tilt, but then I found the 3500# jack for $112 after 20% coupon. Seemed like a better option. 

Edited by WNYPCRepair

shallowwatersailor

I think a Power On-Power Off winch would be the way to go. Or at least one that has a brake instead of only freewheel.

After my escapade with my trailer last year, I want to be as cautious as I possible can.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 1