WorkTheHorses

Kohler Guy in Michigan

WorkTheHorses

Good morning all. I have a 16 hp Kohler (I believe it's labled k-301). It smokes and it's leaking oil out of the top end. I'm quite certain it at least needs a tune up, possibly rebuilt, or maybe even bored over to clean up the cylinder so the rings can seat. I have never rebuilt an engine and I know I do not have the required tools. Does anyone on here have any leads to anyone in the state of Michigan that are good with these engines and won't take advantage of my lack of knowledge? Thank you

Wheel-N-It

Sorry for not having an answer to your question ( I am in North Carolina ), but I do want to thank you for becoming a Red Square Supporter on your first day here as a Member. Thats what I call "Leading By Example" !

If your Kohler is lables K-301 it's more than likely a 12hp engine. Count the number of bolts holidng the cylinder head on the block. The 16's and only the 16's have ten head bolts. The 10, 12, and 14hp engines all have nine (9).

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Welcome to Red Square  :)  We have a bunch of outstanding members here on Red Square that live in Michigan.  Where in Michigan are you?? 

• Like 1

Wishin4a416

Welcome to the forum. And good Luck with your project.

WorkTheHorses

I was a member for over a year, but I opened a new account. So don't give me to much credit. Ha ha. And you are correct. It is a k341. I am located in central Michigan between Mount Pleasant and Midland. I will download that manual and thank you for the advice. I pulled the head last fall, put new valves I'm and shined up the seats, but that didn't help.

Pullstart

Slightly off topic, well completely off topic... glad to see you got a deer!  I haven't seen but 3 does on opening morning of gun and 2 does on opening morning of bow.  I'll be back in the woods soon with muzzle loading opening today!