callum12

road legal wheel horse UK

callum12

Hi all,

I am aware at least one person road legalised a wheel horse in the UK but i can't remember who it is?

I'm just after a bit of help really, I've got the V55/5 form from the DVLA but looking at the form there are loads of boxes that i can't fill in such as sound level stationary, drive by and engine speed sound level,date of registration (obviously it never was registered), particulates per km, Co2 per km to mention a few. 

Do i have to take my WH to a test centre where they take these readings or do just leave those blank?

thanks in advance,

callum 

• Like 1

meadowfield

I've done two, you don't need to fill in all those boxes. Just engine, colour, serial numbers

• Like 2

callum12

ah ok, nice and simple then! do you need to do wheel base? if so i'd imagine you would measure the rear as they are wider.

there is a box for the dealer, do you fill in that?

thanks for the quick reply 

callum 

Edited by callum12
detail

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:            Wheel base should be distance from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle; Tread width would be how wide it is at the widest point.

Sparky

I wish there was a registration process for us here in the states. It would be cool as heck to be able to "legally" drive the small local roads.

Mike.....

• Like 1

callum12

thanks nut,

i knew about the the length i wasn't sure about width. 

is there really no registration process in the US? that's a bit annoying! i know in CA they've got orange triangles for un registered vehicles to drive a small distance on road under a certain speed. 

thanks again,

callum 

ranger

You also need to provide proof of date of manufacture, a letter from the manufacturer or from a DVLA  recognised owners club, stating exactly where the info came from. I've tried with no success. I provided photo's, copies of Wheelhorse brochures and manuals to show the C121 was only produced in 1978/79, all kohler engine details with dating info but unless I can get a letter from Toro they keep rejecting my application on the grounds that I can't prove when it was built.

Toro, USA just tells me to contact a local dealer, the last time the dealer was in Holland!

All relevant dimensions they require can be found in the manuals you can download.

Doug.

neil

I also have a UK road legal raider 10 , although I have never driven it on the rd yet as it is not insured .

callum12

I've got public liability for my stationary engines from NFU but that doesn't cover the roads, perhaps i can upgrade it.

on the v5/55 form i have just noticed some boxes have a blue tab to the right, i suppose these indicate boxes you can fill in if you have the information?

thanks for your help,

callum :) 

Digger 66
On 11/26/2015, 6:37:18, Sparky said:

I wish there was a registration process for us here in the states. It would be cool as heck to be able to "legally" drive the small local roads.

Mike.....

download.jpg

meadowfield

I got a letter direct from Toro the few two times. The guy was well known, his name slips my mind and he wrote me a nice letter and the dvla were great...

trying to to register bendy has been tricky... Despite a letter from the US, a letter from the current euro agents in Holland and all my usual evidence, they refused to issue an age related plate.

I went to lot of effort and they were just so dismissive. I figured that if I ever really want to take bendy on the highway I'll just use the plate and serial off my GT14. 

All my my tractors are insured and as roadworthy as they ever were!

• Like 1

Jparkes43

How did you got about getting a letter from toro? i am thinking of doing this aswel. but i suppose the easier route is to just go for a Q plate but it would be nice to have an age related one. 

James

meadowfield

went on the Toro site and did an enquiry. Have to say now they just seem to bounce us to the European distributor...

Jparkes43

Ah ok thanks

James

callum12

i'm not fused, i'll stick with the q plate. 

i have to say it'll be nice being as they are tax exempt, insurance shouldn't be too much either. i can just imagine joining the steam engines and other tractors going to the pub at steam rallies! haha 

callum 

• Like 1

Jparkes43

you got it!! that sounds like great fun.

James

Edited by Jparkes43

meadowfield

that was always my plan...

but at 5mph it's a long drive!

• Like 1

Jparkes43

true but hey if you ever need to then at least you can.

James

callum12

i suppose so, at least we'll beat the steam rollers!

are the 8 speeds in hi any faster or is that the same as the 3 speeds while lo is even slower?

on the v5/55 form there is a 'manufacture', 'make' and 'model' box, according to the guide to filling in you refer the the automobile's certificate of conformity to fill in 'manufacture'. obviously i don't have that so do i leave it blank or put wheel horse in both 'manufacture' and 'make' box.

callum 

• Like 1

Jparkes43

ahah i suppose you might have a chance ;) and just for fun if you want. (could tweak the gearing ;) ahah)

That would be interesting to find out! and the other is kind of important.

James

Edited by Jparkes43

C-101plowerpower

wow, what a hassle to go on the road. i just have to put one of those orange triangle's on the back an i'm done 

• Like 1

callum12

I know! haha,

i don't see why we can't have those orange triangles?

callum 

I know! haha,

i don't see why we can't have those orange triangles?

callum 

Jparkes43

So i got my form the other day (i got so confused) and to sum up what exact boxes do i need to fill in? and once i've done that what else do i need to enclose when i post it off?  while i'm on that topic i leave the LHD RHD part along as there is no other column 

i also noticed you get two pages with the same things on is that for me to keep or do i fill in both or what?

James 

Edited by Jparkes43