D.College

418A Hydraulic fluid in diff

D.College

Guys - looking to purchase a 418A.  Looks and runs great. Only problem, seller changed all fluids and the local Simplicity dealer told him to put hydraulic fluid in the differential.  I believe it should be 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil.  He has not put any real time on it since the fluid change, one hour at the most.  Thoughts?  Possible damage?  Thanks.....

slammer302

I think it will be ok as long as it is operating as it should 

• Like 2

KC9KAS

@D.College :WRS:.  I too think it will be fine. Just drain the fluid and install a new filter and the proper fluid.

• Like 1

953 nut

Most run of the mill hydraulic fluid is 10W non-detergent oil and shouldn't pose a problem if not exposed to excessive heat. As others have said, change to 10W30 and install a new filter and you will be fine.

shallowwatersailor

Depending if you are still using dino-oil, I'd do a dump and fill twice. Especially if using synthetic as the final fill. Do a dino and then a synthetic fill.  Run it for fifteen minutes between changes perhaps.

D.College

Guys - First let me say thanks to the member who advised "newbie" to enter his question properly!  Also thanks for the information concerning the diff fluids.  I am going to proceed with my purchase and looking forward to adding the 418 to my stable.  The 418 will be a backup as my major "workhorse" is a great 520HC.  Looking forward to the 2106 Wheel Horse Collectors Club Show.  Thanks again for everyone's input.  Dave

• Like 1