muz123

Converted my short chute to a tall one

muz123

Well i converted my short chute blower to a tall chute. I love the gears rather than the wire to turn the chute. Turns real nice. IMG_2567.thumb.JPG.2da88aac8bd8be2b83462IMG_2568.thumb.JPG.95d1458e810fcabbadf89

Edited by muz123
  • Like 9

AMC RULES

Looks really good Dave. 

Happy Thanksgiving.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

muz123
1 minute ago, AMC RULES said:

Looks really good Dave. 

Happy Thanksgiving.  

Thanks Craig! 

DennisThornton

Details please.  That picture is just a teaser.  How did you do it?

• Like 3

DougC

:text-yeahthat:

I'd like a tutorial so I can do that to mine......:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

ericj

i got lucky last spring and found a vertical shaft blower cheap on c/l and bought it and converted my short shoot blower over , only problem is that i didn't get the crank handle or the support for the crank handle. so i have a friend who is going to get me one made, hopefully before i need to use it although i still have my 44" 2 stage, yardman 10.5 hp 28" walk behind as well as my wheel horse trail blazer 7, 2 stage walk behind. so i think i will survive till i get it done.

eric j  

Wishin4a416

Looks good! I bet it works better now.

DennisThornton
29 minutes ago, DougC said:

Yeah!  That!

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Dave, nice job on the conversion, factory looking. Big differance.

Glenn

• Like 1

JAinVA

Nice job.I have both styles and if you have the parts its a bolt up swap.The basic blower housings are the same.The trick is getting the parts.Luck,JAinVA

• Like 1

ericj
38 minutes ago, DougC said:

9 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Yeah!  That!

it real simple, the shoots bolt on to the blower housing with 4 bolts. you unbolt the short shoot base and the cable crank handle and bolt on the tall shoot base. but you need a donor blower or at least it helps to have a donor blower to get your parts from

eric j  

• Like 2

WNYPCRepair

If you have a tall chute or the turning assembly up, it is a bolt on swap, like JAinVA said. 

I had had a tall chute with a seriously bent auger, switched the chute over and good to go. 

Sparky

Looks great Dave......now get back in the shed and cut off the all-thread stickin outa the rear wheel-weights. My shins are achin just thinking about what it'll feel like when you walk into one of em!

Mike............

• Like 4

DennisThornton

OK, so you need two blowers.  Take the best of both, as long as one is a long chute!  Good to know that chutes are interchangeable!

• Like 1

muz123

First, have your wife find a tall chute on Craigslist. Then as your trying to avoid the bolts sticking out of the wheel weights, unbolt the four bolts holding on the original short chute. Bolt on the new one then take the original bar used to turn the chute and punch out the roll pin. Use a grinding wheel to grind down the end of the bar until it fits into the bar that turns the chute. Finally, find a right angle piece of steel/aluminum and bolt it to the tractor using one of the holes  or bolts by the battery on the right side.

That's it! Easy!

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Looks great Dave......now get back in the shed and cut off the all-thread stickin outa the rear wheel-weights. My shins are achin just thinking about what it'll feel like when you walk into one of em!

Mike............

Well have you seen the movie "Ben Hur"? Well anytime I see a John Deere in the neighborhood....

• Like 6

WNYPCRepair
2 hours ago, muz123 said:

First, have your wife find a tall chute on Craigslist. Then as your trying to avoid the bolts sticking out of the wheel weights, unbolt the four bolts holding on the original short chute. Bolt on the new one then take the original bar used to turn the chute and punch out the roll pin. Use a grinding wheel to grind down the end of the bar until it fits into the bar that turns the chute. Finally, find a right angle piece of steel/aluminum and bolt it to the tractor using one of the holes  or bolts by the battery on the right side.

I was lucky, I had the entire crank, etc, so all I had to do was bolt the chute assembly on. :)

Some nice work there, Muz. 

I cut the old crank mount off mine, but I was just looking at yours thinking it would be a great place to mount a nice LED light. :) 

• Like 1

muz123
54 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

I was lucky, I had the entire crank, etc, so all I had to do was bolt the chute assembly on. :)

Some nice work there, Muz. 

I cut the old crank mount off mine, but I was just looking at yours thinking it would be a great place to mount a nice LED light. :) 

Yea i had the whole gear assembly also. 

Edited by muz123

WNYPCRepair

I meant the bar to crank it. Luckily I had that piece from the tall chute too, it's on a bracket that hooks to the mid attach a matic. 

• Like 1

boovuc

Ahh yes! It is better to have loved a short chute than never to have loved a tall.

I read that somewhere I think!

• Like 3

roadapples
14 minutes ago, boovuc said:

Ahh yes! It is better to have loved a short chute than never to have loved a tall.

I read that somewhere I think!

........?........

WHX??

Good posts but until I find that tall chute any advice or tips or tricks on the cable setup. When I got the tractor the base of the short chute was cracked and off the tractor with no cable or hardware. Got it welded up and hdwd. Studied the manual but me being mostly thumbs still having issues. Thinking I should have  used  larger diameter  cable  (used 1/16). Also I think the OEM cable was plastic coated but didn't think that would make a huge difference.

Signed 

In search of a tall chute

JAinVA

The tensile strength of a 1/16" cable is enough if there is no rubbing to fray it but 1/8" is better.A trip to your local Lowes , Home Depot or hardware store will get you some

plastic coated clothes line .The coated steel cable is what WH used.You may have to search to get the clothes line that is the right thickness to be clamped up but you can always strip the coating off at the clamps.Hope this helps,JAinVA.

• Like 2

WHX??

Thanks JA ....the manual does say strip some of the plastic off....never thought of the clothes line & when I am done blowing and the gloves are wet I can park it by the stove & hang up my wet gloves to dry! :lol:

Edited by WHX6
SPELLING