Pullstart

Horses of a different color - My snow team

Pullstart

So this explains why I don't have any wheelhorse plow stuff, kind of.  I mean, it's always a good idea to have more wheelhorse stuff, but these should clear some snow just fine.

From left to right:

99 1500 Silverado extended cab daily driver, 5.3L just rolled over 60k miles, put the new cutting edge on today, last resort plow rig this year

01 2500 HD Silverado, 6.0L, 9'2" Boss V plow, 16' swing wing rear plow, 10 cu. ft. Salt Dogg TGS06 spreader, under hood clutch driven hydraulic pump with electric switch controls

00 K3500 from down south, 5.7L, old 8' boss blade with a new cutting edge waiting to go on this week, custom front mount, 7'5" rear plow, belt driven fisher pump with in-cab spool valve to control blades, Super Z chains for when all traction's gone.

IMG_1251_zpsjvl8h1ey.jpg

IMG_1252_zpsfko7tpc1.jpg

IMG_1253_zpsconlhtot.jpg

Edited by pullstart
  • Like 6

JimD

I'd say you are well prepared.. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

tunahead72

I don't know much about snow equipment...

What's the purpose of the Swing Wing on the back of the white truck in the middle?

And what's the yellow box on the back of the one truck on the end?

DougC

Jeeze pullstart, You'd think you  lived in Michigan......If those don't get the job done you better move to Key West...........:lol:

• Like 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, tunahead72 said:

I don't know much about snow equipment...

What's the purpose of the Swing Wing on the back of the white truck in the middle?

And what's the yellow box on the back of the one truck on the end?

I have a business plowing commercially, that swing wing will get me there about 60% quicker when I'm doing my parking lots and wide driveways.  16' swipe in one pass.  In heavy snow, I'll keep one wing at a 45, the V plow will have one side 45 forward and the other side straight, so I'll be able to windrow the snow to the side of my lots super quick.  With both back blades, I have enough pressure available to bring the back tires off the ground, so I have superior scraping ability plus I can back into a drive, scrape it out, then back into a clearing and push the snow into piles.  I've used back blades on my plow equipment for 14 years now, before it was cool!

• Like 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, JimD said:

I'd say you are well prepared.. :handgestures-thumbupright:

I'd like to think so!  Old man winter always gets me out in the snow banks working on something before it's over!  Last year we took out the sun shell in the extended cab, two hydraulic lines on the other blue truck and blew a brake line on my wife's old suburban all in two days.  The white truck is my new toy and I just mounted the salter last week, but it should all be pretty stout by the looks of it.

Wishin4a416

I think you be fine!!!!

Pullstart
1 hour ago, DougC said:

Jeeze pullstart, You'd think you  lived in Michigan......If those don't get the job done you better move to Key West...........:lol:

We have family in Nashville TN area, don't tempt me too much!

• Like 1

Ken B

Nice line up there and good choice in brand of truck to push snow... You have a full bed sander in the fleet? That tail gate sander must be empty in a hurry...

• Like 2

Pullstart

Wouldn't want to do it with anything else!  I worked off my first truck for the lawn guy my mom hired a long time ago, it was a Dodge W20 with front and back blades, I've owned one ford in the meantime and wouldn't dare put a plow on it, the front end couldn't handle it's own weight!  We're Chevy blood in this family.  As far as the spreader, I only have one account that requires salt and it's a bank, so I don't plan on going through many tons right now.  The account nearly paid for the cost of the spreader in the first year, so I'll call it a good investment for now.  In years past I've lost developments that required salt and now I'll be able to compete for those again.

Though I did tell @rmaynard that we could park a rig at his house for his recovery from tractor seat time! :ychain: :handgestures-thumbupright:  Wish you a strong recovery!

• Like 1

Pullstart

So I'm beginning to wonder if anyone will need their snow team this year...

RMCIII
On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2015‎ ‎6‎:‎22‎:‎51‎, pullstart said:

I have a business plowing commercially, that swing wing will get me there about 60% quicker when I'm doing my parking lots and wide driveways.  16' swipe in one pass.  In heavy snow, I'll keep one wing at a 45, the V plow will have one side 45 forward and the other side straight, so I'll be able to windrow the snow to the side of my lots super quick.  With both back blades, I have enough pressure available to bring the back tires off the ground, so I have superior scraping ability plus I can back into a drive, scrape it out, then back into a clearing and push the snow into piles.  I've used back blades on my plow equipment for 14 years now, before it was cool!

Not to mention the benefit of keeping the salt off your trucks bumper and truck bed!

• Like 1

whfan74

That doesn't look like work!  Those are big boy toys!

honestly I have family that plows and I know first hand how tough it is.  Good luck with the equipment this year!

• Like 1

Pullstart

Quick update on the beginning of the season!

Monday started my day at 8 am taking advantage of the kiddos with Grandma over winter break.  Hauled in some firewood with Mrs. Pullstart and went on a lunch and movie date.  Started snowing.  Head home after the movie, pulled a young girl out of the ditch on the expressway, jumped in the plow truck.  Checked a few driveways, cleared snow at my bank parking lot, ran the salter, went to dinner as the snowfall was still pretty heavy.  No since in plowing when more accumulation is coming!  Visit Grandma and Grandpa before they head south for the winter, head out to start plowing about 8 or 8:30.   I'm in the white truck by the way.  It's new to me this year and the "rebuilt" transmission didn't last much too long.  Reverse dropped out by 11 pm.  I flagged another plow truck down, he pulled me backwards so I can turn around and me and the misses head home to grab the blue regular cab.  We're back on the road by midnight.  Come around 3 or 3:30 am I hear that my hydraulic pump seems to be running low so I pull over to top it off.  All is well for about 30 minutes when it's whining again.  I must have a leak.  Found it!  The down pressure hose on the rear blade has a pin hole so I finish the night with just the front blade.  2" of snow, 2 trucks not fully functional.  Snow wins.  I got in about 5:30 am and got to sleep around 6.  Back up at 10 to fix the rear hose and go back out to clear a few more driveways and quote a few more too.  Took the plows off the white truck and drove it (forward!) to my father in law's shop to thaw it out overnight.  Today I got the transmission out and landed another customer in the meantime.   With new year's celebration coming I'll have the tranny rebuilt and installed by Tuesday/Wednesday next week and am fortunate enough to have spares to get the job done.